PDA

View Full Version : plecos and bettas

kaianuanu
12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
i posted "crayfish and plecos" ive learned more about crayfish and now ive lost desire for one

most likely i'm getting a crown betta. if i get the betta can it live with a pleco the same sise as a betta

kid_fishboy13
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM
dont get a common pleco unles your tank is at least 75gal, preferably larger.

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Don't know as I know of any pleco's that size. Those commons you see in the stores get a foot.

Your betta needs no company. They live solitary in nature.

kaianuanu
12-06-2007, 12:49 AM
not for company to eat algea i have the pleco already though

Faith_at_Large
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Otos are good with some types of algae, I have some at home. But I do not know how well they will get along with Bettas. I have a Betta too, but I keep him separated from the other fish. Bettas can be particular about their tank mates and might attack any new arrivals - they are very territorial. A fish compatibility tool (website) that I use says that Bettas and Oto Cats are not compatible, but does recommend Corydoras Catfish, Upside Down Catfish, Platys and Mollies. I do not know if all catfish eat algae, but my Platys and Mollys do seem to like it a lot. My Platys spend all day picking at the green algae at home, any my Mollies do the same with the brown algae at work.

If I may suggest, if you are planning on adding a new fish or more (many other species prefer to be in groups of three or more) you might wish to temporarily house your Betta in large jar or cute little Betta house from the petstore (temporary only), then you can introduce your new fish to the main Betta tank and let them get comfortable before re-introducing your Betta after a couple of days. This way, your Betta might think that he is entering their territory rather than them invading his territory.

Good luck with your tank.

Harls
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Bristlenose Pleco which are the most common in australia can only grow to 5inches and i have a betta with my 2plecos and an oscar :P.
They Do Fine. you'll hardly see the pleco during the day. just make sure u have driftwood if u get bristlenose.

Demi ^_^
01-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Here is some info I found on the web:

Q: My Beta is becoming aggressive towards my plecostomus that I bought today. Can you tell me if it is safe to keep them together or seperate them? They are about the same size.

Answer: It depends. Plecos are quite still for long periods of time and the betta may be curious. Plecos have a fairly tough exterior and I would only worry if the betta started to visibly injure the pleco. If you do see injury to the pleco, separate them. I would also worry if you had the pleco in a fish bowl or a small tank with no filtration. Common plecos can get very large (up to 18 inches) but a bristlenose pleco only gets to be about 5 or 6 inches. Still, no matter which type of pleco you have, you need a filtration system that will provide adequate surface agitation.

I hope I helped!

~ Demi ^_^

P.S: I got the information from this site:http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Betta.htm

blu
01-06-2008, 08:31 AM
its really not a matter of will the pleco get along with the betta its will the betta get along with the pleco. In general bettas are best kept alone but sometimes are kept with other fish. It really depends on teh personality of the betta some are very agressive and some are timid to the point that any other fish will stress them out and do best on their own(although these timid ones are not very common)

If you decide to get a betta and put them together be prepared with an appropriate tank for the betta if a problem should arise.

Siamese Fighter 1
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
not for company to eat algea i have the pleco already though

i found that hard finding a algea eater for a five gallon tank till i found snails.
snails are good cleaning machine they eat day and night great algea eater and scavenger:thumb:

blu
01-06-2008, 09:07 AM
oh this is for a 5gal tank?didnt see that. A five gal is really only sutable for the betta not a pleco