PDA

View Full Version : pleco and oscar

modda
08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
from reading some of the threads here i get the idea that plecos are good for cleaning the tank how would one go in my tank with my 2 oscars and festae

William
08-09-2006, 01:25 AM
It would likely work but I recommend that you buy a large pleco. I would recommend getting on of atleast 7-8 inches.

modda
08-09-2006, 01:39 AM
thanks william now i just have to try and find one here in aus dont recall ever seeing one in the fish shop i go to

William
08-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Reallly??
I never been a fish store that don't keep them but I know Australia has very strict rules so it is possible they are banned since they would be able to live in australian rivers and can do much damage by digging their nests in the shore.

kimmers318
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Our pleco is a lot of fun to watch with our oscars....they try to get his food and he headbutts them to get them away! Beware though....plecos are poop machines and hubby is always having to clean up after him cleaning up after the oscars!

William
08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Lets be fair. Oscars are worse poop machines ;-)

kimmers318
08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Yea, William...but theirs aren't 6-7 inch long threads of poo floating around the tank.
Here is a pic of "plecy"

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/100_0925.jpg

He is around 11", not counting tail and his poo is MUCH more obvious floating around the tank than Bubba & Gumps!

modda
08-09-2006, 09:02 PM
i found them yesterday only babies but and still cost 160 au dolallars they breed them up in north queensland where my parents live so i have asked them to check around there to see if they are any cheeper if i can get one cheaper then that i will get one but for 160 if he becomes fish food then thats very expensive dinner for my oscars

also i finished my tank last night and it looks like my oscars are going to spawn put a big flat rock in last night and almost immediatly the started picking at it and cleaning it will post pictures in a new thread somewhere of my completed tank

William
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
That is very expensive.Was that a regulat pleco or a fancy one (L number etc)

I regular pleco is a 5-10$ fish not a 160$ fish.

modda
08-09-2006, 11:04 PM
here in aus we cant import and that was for a gold spotted a regular was 80 but if i am gonna get one might as well get a good one and thats is only for a 5 cm long one for a 6in pleco they said they can order one in but it will cost between 300 and 400 so i am stuck either way also can u give me ur email address and i will email you this video that i said i would

William
08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
you can email it to admin@aquaticcommunity.com

TehTANK
11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I had a Pleco in with my oscar. I got them both at the same time and they were best friends. One day after they both have gotten very big my pleco was just dead. I do't know why or how it happend. The oscar wasn't picking on him at all. I noticed he had a lot of white little bumps on him but there was no trace of bad bacteria or a paracite in my tank of any kind. I couldn't explain it. I am thinking of getting another pleco but what size should i get and do you think my oscar would get along with him. My oscar is 8-10 inches. I have a 90 gallon tank.

Thanks for your help

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
KIMMERS! You simply must move that picture to the POTM for November!

Juannie
11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I live on the Gold Coast and there are plecos pretty much everywhere. I purchased mine 2 years ago for $25 and it is now about 30cm long so worth a close to $200 now (I think they undercharged me). It's in with my oscar who pushes it around quite a lot (in a 4ft tank) but he gives as good as he gets. They're really hardy fish as well and absolutely beautiful. I'll try uploading one later on.

Fishguy2727
11-02-2006, 03:15 AM
In general I wouldn't keep a pleco with oscars (or other big cichlids). They aren't worth their poop since after about 5" they dont really eat algae and need driftwood to munch on. I agree that a big healthy pleco can be a beautiful fish, but in a tank that will already have bioload and waste issues they aren't worth it.

DIGITAL
02-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I had a Pleco in with my oscar. I got them both at the same time and they were best friends. One day after they both have gotten very big my pleco was just dead. I do't know why or how it happend. The oscar wasn't picking on him at all. I noticed he had a lot of white little bumps on him but there was no trace of bad bacteria or a paracite in my tank of any kind. I couldn't explain it. I am thinking of getting another pleco but what size should i get and do you think my oscar would get along with him. My oscar is 8-10 inches. I have a 90 gallon tank.

Thanks for your help
I'd get a pleco that is close to equal his size if possible.

Juannie
03-02-2007, 03:20 AM
thanks william now i just have to try and find one here in aus dont recall ever seeing one in the fish shop i go to

You can purchase pleco's just about anywhere here. I've got one in with my oscar & synsplium and it' LOVES zucchini. he would be about 30cm (12in) long, he's a semi-good cleaner - but be prepared they produce a HUGH amount of waste and when i put my hand in the tank he still splashes water EVERYWHERE even though I've had him about 3 years now. He can stand his ground with the oscar & synspilum - esp when she's aggressive around egg laying time. Just ensure you have drfitwood as they love sucking on it too. Dependent on size they're expensive here though, for one the size of mine you'd be looking at approx $150+ on the coast. They're really hardy, my tanks have gotten up to 34 degrees in summer (now) and I just through bottled ice in their tanks, they adjust really really well. You can certainly get them cheaper and a bit smaller, you just have to shop around.

deckard_wa
03-03-2007, 05:03 AM
I find it surprising you can't find plecos to buy. I've been up and down the east coast and they're everywhere. Out here in the west it's hard to find a LFS that doesn't have them.