PDA

View Full Version : How many BN plecos?

angelcraze2
12-24-2017, 10:15 PM
I have a tank filled with baby plecos lol. They are all Ancistrus albino and brown. I am currently selling them, but could I add a couple more females to my 90g?

Currently, I have one male who I believe breeds with the two females that are currently in the tank. A couple more BN would be awesome if it's not too much.

When my 120g gets under control, I'd like to add an albino male, and I'm thinking of adding a 'pair' of albino BNs to my angelfish breeder tank with the cave. The albino variation seems to sell better....

But I like the regular brown BNs and would love to keep some if I could.

DoubleDutch
12-25-2017, 08:43 AM
More females will wear your male down cause it will be constantly guarding eggs / fry. Sl

angelcraze2
12-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Ok DD thanks! I never even thought of that! Not to mention breeding can be hard on the male as well! That's what the forum is for!

Gabor129
12-25-2017, 03:57 PM
If you want to have more plecos in there just put more males in!

angelcraze2
12-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I don't trust him, he is very territorial, ever since he killed another juvie male, I don't trust him with another male.

But I think I'll add a male and female albino to a 33g tank.
Eventually, I'll keep the other albino male in my 120g and grow him out into a beauty!

DoubleDutch
12-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Male BN's never be friends. Females isn't an issue

https://youtu.be/83IQS1WNq-k

sunscream1488
01-03-2018, 04:21 PM
I have a tank filled with baby plecos lol. They are all Ancistrus albino and brown. I am currently selling them, but could I add a couple more females to my 90g?

Currently, I have one male who I believe breeds with the two females that are currently in the tank. A couple more BN would be awesome if it's not too much.

When my 120g gets under control, I'd like to add an albino male, and I'm thinking of adding a 'pair' of albino BNs to my angelfish breeder tank with the cave. The albino variation seems to sell better....

But I like the regular brown BNs and would love to keep some if I could.My bottlenose plecos are mating at least once a month. I have a albino female and a normal colored male. I've got a couple that have survived that I know of for sure but my angels love the fry and I think my khuli loaches eat them too? Which probably isn't a terrible thing or I'd have hundreds of plecos in my tank.

angelcraze2
01-03-2018, 07:00 PM
My bottlenose plecos are mating at least once a month. I have a albino female and a normal colored male. I've got a couple that have survived that I know of for sure but my angels love the fry and I think my khuli loaches eat them too? Which probably isn't a terrible thing or I'd have hundreds of plecos in my tank.

Yep! I have 8 angelfish with my breeding BN plecos. The angelfish definitely eat the baby plecos, unfortunately I've seen it happen. I also notice some fat bellies about once every month. I save babies when I notice them, but you're right, their numbers can get out of control quickly.