PDA

View Full Version : pH for German Blue Rams

Squidman
12-05-2007, 05:02 AM
I was wondering if you have to keep the pH for german blue rams below 7.0. And if you do if there is something that will help me keep it below 7.0 because where i live we have hard water.

Thanks,

Squidman

zeon
12-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Well My Blues pH is 8.0 They are happy and thrive. Now someone that might have more experience can elaborate more. They have paired, and are happy. (might breed at a lower pH...dunno) My ammonia and nitrites are constantly zero...and my nitrates stay at 5ppm. My Male has doubled in size also since I got him. But this is just my experience. I also use R/O water. My pH, nitrates, and hardness are so off the scale out of the tap. (I have a well cause I live in the country.) I am thinking of introduceing drift wood. But that is me over thinking to lower pH. I say that cause they are doing well, happy and fat with the way they are, but always looking to make things better.

edited to add: Think about the area you live in. Ask your trusted LFS( the place you are buying the fish from) what they keep their water parameters at. You might be surprised. So if they have the higher pH, and you bring them home to a perfect 7...Sometimes it is better to deal with the water you have, cause alot of times so does your LFS. My opinion. HTH

Fishguy2727
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Mine are in 7.6 or so, my tap holds at about 7.8-8.0 but that tank has plants and a piece of driftwood. The pair is doing quite well. As long as water quality is high and the pH is stable they should be fine.

Squidman
12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
So you are saying that as longs as I hold a pH at the same level the whole time and mantain high quality water then Rams will thrive?

Fishguy2727
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
They should. You also need a high qaulity diet, mine only get New Life Spectrum. Breeding may need softer water.

jeffs99dime
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
So you are saying that as longs as I hold a pH at the same level the whole time and mantain high quality water then Rams will thrive?

that is the key factor in keeping rams. they are very, very sensitive to ph flutuations, just like discus, among others

Squidman
12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Ok, Thanks for the help!