PDA

View Full Version : Black Background

Dsoto87
12-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey everyone. I got tired of lookin at the cords behind my tank on my 50 gallon so i figured I needed a background. I like the look of black more than other colors so I went that.

I didnt want to permaneently mess up my 50 gallon since dodnt know what i was doin so i tried it first on my sons 5.5 gallon

I used Krylon Fusion and overall it was a pretty simple process, the only problem i encountered was having to pass over it 4 or 5 times to finally get it completely black so no light passes through. It would look like from the side your painting that its done but when held up to the lamp, light would pass through. But one final pass solved that problem.

Everything looks great. The colors really show with the black behind it. And best of all I dont have to look at those ugly cords from now on. So now onto the 50 gallon.

Pictures are of before and after

cocoa_pleco
12-05-2007, 05:10 AM
awesome!

that tank would make a great art photo, it looks so artistic with the nice black background, smooth rocks, and one goldfish

spudbuds
12-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Very nice job! That is a beautiful looking tank with that simple setup. I really like it!

zeon
12-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Forgive me if I am sounding dumbe but as far as I know...you are not supposed to use chemicals on the glass of my aquariums. Like using glass cleaners cause they leach through the glass into the water. How do you paint the glass and not have it leach into the water...and what types and brands of paints can you use?

verbosity
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
This little tank in its simplicity looks awesome!!

Zeon: Whoa, I've always used Windex on the out side of my aquarium. I've never seem to have any issues.

Azear
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
looking great ! Tho I would not have used paint... IMHO, a background should be removable... in the case that you decide to do another setup. but Oh well, not my call :)... still it looks good !

KcEE
12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Really Really nice! Good job!

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Forgive me if I am sounding dumbe but as far as I know...you are not supposed to use chemicals on the glass of my aquariums. Like using glass cleaners cause they leach through the glass into the water. How do you paint the glass and not have it leach into the water...and what types and brands of paints can you use?

Glass is not porous. Nothing leeches into it. I clean the outside of my tanks with Windex.......sprayed on paper towel...not directly on the glass......and painting a tank is fine as long as it's painted on the outside and not the inside.

Dsoto87
12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Well supposedly you can use this paint INSIDE the tank. Others have used it in reef tanks and you know how sensitive those are. I didnt paint the inside though because its a lot easier and quicker to do the outside.

OscarFan
12-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Cool. Looks good. I might try it.Except on posterboard and not on the tank.

Incredulous_Ed
12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Huge improvement! very cool!

Squidman
12-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Ive heard that a black background and a black substrate looks awsome with tiger barbs{puntius tetrazona}

snipers_den
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
:thumb: my wife went to a arts and crafts store and came back with differant colored posterboards...they look and work great and easy too change if you want a differant backdrop color:thumb:

phxl
06-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I had to comment on how simple yet astonishing this is! Nice one! :thumb:

PUNISHER VETTE
06-28-2008, 02:11 AM
On the outside i don't see a problem other then it rubbing off or something.

You can use Fusion on the inside of fish tanks but only on plastics and things like that. This is because the Fusion isn't actually a paint that covers something but actually bonds/fuses with plastics. This eliminates leaching as it becomes one with the product it's being sprayed on.

sktadood13
06-28-2008, 03:19 AM
looks great but i agree with most people.....you should have used some thing removable

TorqueWorks
06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
It looks awesome. Very clean and simple.

demosthenes
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
i go with the black trash bag and tape method. doesn't look perfect but it's removable.

Jenilyn
07-07-2008, 02:31 AM
i just got a black background as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Miss_Sun_Song/ratties/P2050143.jpg

I also have black moon sand and an albino clawed frog in it :)