PDA

View Full Version : Cockatoo dwarf cichlids, Kribs and rams

Squidman
12-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Hello,

For christmas im getting either a 29 -45 gallon. Assuming its a 45 gallon i have stocking plans and was wondering if you guys think its a safe and good idea. Ive also made a few ideas for my 10 gallon since my brother is giving me a 15 or 20 gallon. Here are the plans:

45 gallon:

2x German Blue Rams
3x Pearl Gouramis
2x opaline gouramis {one of these 2 is gonna be my opaline blue gourami in the 10 gallon
2x Kribs
8x dwarf loaches
6x brichardi {2 of these will be the pair in my 10 gallon}
1x bristlenose pleco

15 or 20 gallon from my brother:

5x dwarf cockatoo cichlids
3x yoyo loaches {2 of these are from my 10 gallon}

Im planning on breeding the dwarf cockatoo cichlids and selling them to cover some of the fishkeeping costs. so my current 10 gallon will be used for rearing fry and ive got a 1 1/2 gallon for a hosptial to care for sick fish in need. So the question for you is: Are my tanks to overstocked? Do i still have more room? Are the plans gonna have fish that re not compatable? What?.

Squidman

P.S if ive got enough room in the 45 gallon i might add more rams or maybe a few croaking gouramis.

Fishalicious
12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
5x dwarf cockatoo cichlids

is definately not going to work - world war III !

Stick to a harem for breeding - 1 male and 2 females

gem
12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
I would be hesitant about the gouramie in with Kribs. Especially if you ahve a pair of Kribs. I'm not sure how the brichardi will do either....but the rest of your plan sounds ok to me. You might consider replacing the gouramie and brichardi with a nice school of rummy nose tetras as dither fish. The German blue rams, if you get male and female, do best in a harem situation. 1 male w/ 2-3 females. But they're fine with Kribs.
Same with the Dwarf Cockatoos. 1 male 2-3 female.

jeffs99dime
12-05-2007, 01:11 AM
as for kribensis, you may want to consider getting 2 males or 2 females unless you are going to breed them in a seperate tank. i have kept both male and female and both together and they will fight with one another unless in the same sex

gem
12-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Two female Kribs in the same tank without a male might be fine.....but I wouldn't advise putting two males in the same tank unless it's about 100 gal. I had two males and no females in my 55 gal and had WWIII on my hands. I've never had a problem with a male and female together.

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Why not just have a ram tank with some bottom feeders instead of so much of a selection of just a couple each.

Or get the dwarf Apistogramma which is from the same family as rams?

Squidman
12-05-2007, 04:25 AM
What i have been hoping to do is get a small varitey of cichlids and gouramis and some bottom feeders in my tank. Here's a plan i could go with though.

45 gallon:

6x German blue rams
8x dwarf loaches
4x dwarf cockatoo cichlids

15-20 gallon:

1x blue opaline gourami
2x yoyo loaches
3x pearl gouramis
6x brichardi

That way i could have my current 10 gallon be a rearing tank for ram fry and/or dwarf cockatoo cichlid fry. And that way my gouramis would be in a seperate tank from cichlids except the brichardi which should be fine. Here's a few more questions i have: IS the 15-20 gallo plan too overstocked? And would i have to have a divider between the rams and dwarf cockatoo cichlid fry?Ive been hoping to sell the fry of the rams and dwarf cockatoo cichlids to cover a little of the expense of my fishkeeping.

Incredulous_Ed
12-05-2007, 04:27 AM
brichardis do best in a species tank