PDA

View Full Version : Boof's Nano Reef

Pages : [1] 2

BluewaterBoof
11-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Finally jumping over to the salty side. It's gonna be a small tank, but I'm pretty confident that I can put together something beautiful. I've been looking at a lot of nano reefs and if done properly they can look just as amazing as their full-sized big brothers.

Going with a small tank means less options for animals, but I'm in this for the corals. I have a special project in the planning phase that I've been discussing with Spardas that will be home to some interesting animals, but that is going to be a much larger tank and will probably not start coming together until after Xmas.

Going small means I can invest in a better more powerful light capable of raising gorgeous SPS corals without driving my little family into debt haha

The following are already ordered and should be here within the week:

Fluval Evo marine tank, 13.5 gallons
Tank comes with internal filtration and a light capable of some soft and LPS corals, which will do just fine until budget allows a more robust light needed for the little SPS corals.

Coralife salt mix

Caribsea Arag-Alive white live sand

Cobalt heater

Hydrometer

API Saltwater master kit

The tank comes with directional nozzles for the outflow, but I also have a nice little nano Koralia circulation pump that should work great in this tank.

Wont be much happening for a while. Once everything comes in I have the long process of waiting for the tank to cycle. I'm so used to instantly cycling my fresh tanks that this will test my patience a bit :) Small price to pay to make sure everything is safe for the corals once they go in.

Since everything isn't coming until later this week, here is a photo I pulled off Google that shows the tank.

RiversGirl
11-20-2017, 03:24 PM
subscribed

I'm looking forward to following this new build of yours.

BluewaterBoof
11-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Should be fun. Not sure how many updates this journal will get. It's my understanding that most corals grow pretty slowly. Weekly updates like my other journals get probably wont be the case with this one. Happy to have you following along, though!

Spardas
11-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Boof, the live sand and live rock, once added will basically cycle your tank and seed your other bio filter in the back. But this must be done correctly to prevent die off or additional curing for the live rock/mini cycle spike. You will just need to get your live rock from an established source and during the transfer, make sure to keep it submerged in water. Your live rock is essentially the bio filtration. That's why I find it way easier to start off a salt water tank and it cuts the cycling time substantially.

Start with a few small inverts like hermits or an emerald crab (green or red) and they will produce enough waste to keep the cycle going. You will probably start seeing different type of algae start growing since it'll be part of a natural saltwater setup, which the hermits/snails/crab can assist with cleaning up. Test your levels daily but it really shouldn't move that much until your inverts start producing waste and you'll see nitrate.

While things stabilizes, you can do research on corals and small nano fishes. I'm sure they'll make things interesting for you.

BluewaterBoof
11-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Ok great! My son would love if I got some hermits or a crab. Whenever I would stop by Petsmart's plant section he would always drag me over to the little hermit crab area :)

How about an electric blue hermit crab and a skunk cleaner shrimp? Those emerald crabs look a bit rough! Would I have to worry about it going for the corals if it wasn't finding enough food scavenging the tank?

BluewaterBoof
11-20-2017, 10:13 PM
I think it is almost official that this will be our first addition once the tank is running :)

Reef safe, peaceful, eats algae, sifts the sand to keep it aerated, and from what I'm reading from several vendors is fairly easy to keep.

Not to mention the markings and colors! Such a beautiful little gem. I was never a hermit crab fan, but I never saw these guys before.

Slaphppy7
11-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Indeed, a beautiful hermit crab, may be the first time I've ever seen those colors on one.

I'll follow this, should be fun to watch evolve...if I ever could afford a SW tank, it would have to be a nano sized one, all inclusive.

I wouldn't even need fish, just all of the things that pop up from the live rock itself would fascinate me*

*I'm easily entertained with some things, lol

BluewaterBoof
11-20-2017, 11:45 PM
Keep an eye out on Drs. F&S, Matt! Everything to get me running cost around $195 using the 25%-off flash sale they had over the weekend. Now its just a matter of getting some live rock and then the animals.

BluewaterBoof
11-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Some interesting zoanthids:

Spardas
11-21-2017, 03:31 AM
I think it is almost official that this will be our first addition once the tank is running :)

Reef safe, peaceful, eats algae, sifts the sand to keep it aerated, and from what I'm reading from several vendors is fairly easy to keep.

Not to mention the markings and colors! Such a beautiful little gem. I was never a hermit crab fan, but I never saw these guys before.

Just curious what colors you see on the electric hermit crab.

There is a mixture of light blue, blue, orange, green, white, and dark blue/black.

Definitely a lot of colors of the zoas to be sure. One of the main reasons I will always have a reef tank is because of the colors. I can shut down all the freshwater tanks, fish only saltwater tank, but not the reef tanks, lol.

BluewaterBoof
11-21-2017, 04:50 AM
Spardas I see the different amount of shades you see. I can wager a guess as to where each of those colors are, orange for feelers, blues and black bands for legs, green pincers with white tips, blue eye stalks.

I see blues perfectly, which is why it is my favorite color. I can see all the shades of blue in nature as long as they don't have reds or greens mixed in with them. I can also see yellow, but it isn't pleasing to my eyes like blue is. Anything that uses green or red is a crap shoot. I think I know what basic red looks like, but reds and greens get mixed up depending on their shade, and green to me looks like a dirty yellow.

Here is a comparison of how different types of colorblind people see the world. I'm a deut, so the upper right image is how I see things. I can't see any difference between the two top images.

Interesting story, but I tried those Enchroma glasses about a year and a half ago. I didn't have one of those emotional earth-shattering experiences that the shills on the YouTube vids claim to have, but it was interesting. I put them on and saw nothing different. I was heartbroken. I sat there with my wife as she had dumped a bucket of Ayden's toys on the floor because of all the colors. She kept pulling out certain cars and stuff, asking if they looked different. No, no, no...no. All looked as bland as usual. Then something slapped my attention. There was a kid's show on the tv across the room, and this gaudy SUPER BRIGHT color slammed me right in the eyes. Pink. Hot pink. One of the characters on the show was a hot pink talking plane and my jaw hit the floor. Pink looks like gray to me, so I was not prepared for what I saw on the tv. The next color that grabbed my attention was purple. If my eyes worked correctly, purple would be my favorite. It spoke to me, which is weird because colors never had any kind of feelings or emotions to them. I carried around a purple bouncy ball for days and would stare at it for a minute at a time.

Green stayed the same. Dull, dirty yellow. Red stayed the same, as well, but I could suddenly differentiate it from other colors that it normally blended in with. I remember sitting in my car during lunch break and I noticed a red coca cola can stuck in a bush across the parking lot. I could see the reds in my mahogany desk in the office. I was blown away by the fact that the Target next to my office was half red and half brown. Never noticed the red side if the building until I was wearing the glasses.

And that's pretty much the extent of my experience with somewhat normal vision. The makers argued that I ordered the wrong lens type and that's why I didn't see the amazing burst of color around me, but it is what it is. We needed the money and the glasses were a minor luxury so I returned them before the trial period expired. What's cool is I can still visualize how pink, purple, and lavender looked, even though I don't have the glasses anymore. That kind of thing stuck with me.

RiversGirl
11-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Andrť, I'm really glad to hear that the tool of those glasses gave your mind a lasting gift.

BluewaterBoof
11-21-2017, 05:51 PM
After spending hours and hours yesterday looking up, researching, and picking Spardas' brain, these are my current faves for how this tank will probably be stocked. All this can change over the course of the next couple of week or month as I learn about more species, but after overloading my brain last night, these are the ones that stand out the most for a nano tank.

Purple Firefish

Ocellaris clownfish
Picked because my wife and son love them. They are the smaller and least aggressive of the clownfish.

Catalina goby
Considered an "expert" fish, but I feel confident in my skills to meet its needs.

Pistol shrimp
Spardas showed me how pistol shrimp form a symbiotic relationship with gobies and the two will live together in the goby hole. Super cute.

And the blue-legged hermit already posted above.

This next fellow has been an obsession with me all evening/night long since I stumbled upon it. I still want to do some research and make sure I'm not over-stocked, but my initial research has stated that this little critter does fine in small nano tanks that have peaceful inhabitants. Like the goby/pistol shrimp combo, this is another symbiotic relationship. Behold, the Pom Pom Crab, also known as the cheerleader or boxer crab:

This amazing creature is a crab that holds on to two anemones with its claws. It uses the anemones for defense against aggressors, as well as to mop up food off the substrate and rocks. I have watched some amazing videos of these critters, like how they will steal nems (anenomes) from other pom pom crabs if they lose their own, or how they will take one nem and divide it into two so they have one for each hand. One of the vids I watched claimed that this crab is the only creature known to purposefully divide and force another creature into asexual reproduction. I don't know how accurate that is, but the act of them splitting nems is fascinating.

Here is one trying out for cheerleading squad:

https://youtu.be/tKMxRBYQs5k

RiversGirl
11-21-2017, 06:35 PM
That is very neat to see. :cheerleaderkid:

BluewaterBoof
11-21-2017, 08:33 PM
I've also been considering a porcelain crab. After discussing it a bit with Spardas, this guy would be much less shy and out in the open more than the pom pom crab. It's a filter-feeder, like the bamboo and vampire shrimp some of us keep in our freshwater tanks :)

RiversGirl
11-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Out in the open more = good.

SueD
11-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Not a real fan of crabs, but that pom pom crab is pretty unique and entertaining.

BluewaterBoof
11-28-2017, 01:13 AM
So here we are a week later. Tank and all the gear arrived. Tank is going through a leak test. Very fancy tank. Rimless, light is nice and bright, all the filtration is internal. Display part is 12 gallons with a 1.5 gallon overflow/filtration section. The heater fits nicely in the overflow, so the only equipment you see in the tank are the outflows for the pump.

Will post vids once the leak test is done and I have my saltwater mixed and the sand in the tank. Will be swinging by my local reef store in the next day or two to pick through their live rock and get my electric blue hermit :)

Spardas
11-28-2017, 04:08 AM
MTS in full swing.

mac
11-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Once MTS has started there is no stopping it.

Taurus
11-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Will be swinging by my local reef store in the next day or two to pick through their live rock and get my electric blue hermit :)

I was wondering if you had a reef\marine store nearby. I'm really interested to see how this project turns out although I have no doubt it will be a success.

BluewaterBoof
11-28-2017, 03:20 PM
The local reef store puts all other pet shops here to shame. It is run by two gentlemen, I believe father and son, and it is meticulously kept.

This is just one of the tanks they have showcasing their corals:

BluewaterBoof
11-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Once MTS has started there is no stopping it.

MTS in full swing.

Kind of... Our house begins to feel cluttered once there are 4+ tanks scattered around. I've torn down some tanks in the past when it gets like this. I'm in the process of trying to unload a lot of my plants from a couple other tanks so that I can break them down and focus on my marine projects.

Besides, I grew tired of a lot of the freshwater stuff a long time ago. That's why I became so fixated on trying to do fancy aquascapes. Gave me something new to try out and was much more interesting that staring at a bunch of tetras swimming in place. Marine life is so much more complex and beautiful. Incredibly diverse life forms that have some pretty wild interactions with each other, and the colors are simply mind-boggling.

mac
11-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Appart from cichilds and black water rift lakes marine will take over for me.

BluewaterBoof
11-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Yeah I'm just tired of staring at little tetras and cories. Saltwater is a Pandora's Box. It's interesting to see photos here and there from others, but easy to dismiss until you actually put some thought and research into it. Once you actually take time - not just a couple minutes to watch a YouTube video or something, but like two days of just reading, watching, learning - there's just no comparison. It's like a huge flood gate is suddenly opened and you're just bombarded with hundreds of unique animals and their amazing little interactions. That pom pom crab I linked on the first page was a perfect example. When was the last time you saw a tetra form a symbiotic relationship with a cherry shrimp, letting the shrimp ride on its back so that it could ward off predators and in exchange the tetra fed the shrimp? I've learned about many of those kinds of relationships in marine animals and I'm sure I've only barely scratched the surface.

mac
11-29-2017, 05:53 AM
I love the fw. But for me marine is more interesting. That and I grew up swimming on the barrier reef. So naturally it is in my blood to see marine life.
But the interaction of most basic fw fish isnt that interesting. Though cichlids change it a bit.

Taurus
11-29-2017, 05:45 PM
The local reef store puts all other pet shops here to shame. It is run by two gentlemen, I believe father and son, and it is meticulously kept.

What's not to love about that. I certainly would take advantage of the situation. Again, good luck and thanks for sharing the experience here.

BluewaterBoof
11-29-2017, 06:50 PM
I had a couple of setbacks yesterday, but the tank is up and ready for the live rock and the first inhabitant(s). I brought my bucket with me to work so that I can head over to the reef store later and pick up the rock. I'm definitely grabbing an electric blue hermit. I may also grab a snail but I'm not too sure about that. The ones I saw during my first visit looked fine and healthy, but I wasn't too thrilled about the species they had. I'm also getting feedback from other reefers that their electric hermits were killing the snails for shells. I have an order of assorted shells coming in, but some of the folks I talked to claimed they had extra shells in their tanks, too, and it didn't discourage the hermits from turning murderous. So I dunno. I guess it depends on the price of the snails over there and if I can find any I find visually appealing.

Spardas
11-30-2017, 03:50 AM
That depends on the size and shape of the snails as well and if the hermit has enough to much on. My star astrea snails are left alone.

BluewaterBoof
12-01-2017, 01:29 AM
https://youtu.be/yAyvxbCsXCw

We have two of these guys. At the time the video was shot, the second hermit was hiding in his shell. They are now both active and moving around the tank.

Spardas
12-01-2017, 02:34 AM
The adventure begins!

BluewaterBoof
12-01-2017, 05:43 PM
No more messy hydrometer to measure my salinity and specific gravity. My fancy little refractometer finally arrived. Looks like a friggin lightsaber haha

The tank looks so cool with the actinic lights, but the color really messes up the way the camera photographs it all.

For those who haven't seen saltwater tanks in person, the actinic lights aren't nearly as dark as this photo. They're similar to freshwater moonlights, but a bit brighter.

Spardas
12-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Boof, I know you're taking out the Darth Vader helmet and walking around with that refractometer.

The electric flame scallop would look stunning under the actinic with the flashes. Too bad you can't keep that thing any time soon, lol.

BluewaterBoof
12-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Those scallops are soooooo cool. I'm still in awe after watching that video last night.

mch1984
12-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Glad I finally got to this and am getting to follow. I didn't realize AC had an active saltwater group. For me, I always thought about saltwater but thought it would be too complicated and I wouldn't like it. Finally my wife pushed me to buy a little 12 gallon used nano and it has taken off since then. Its exciting watching coral eat, develop and the interaction between everything. The tank looks great!

BluewaterBoof
12-15-2017, 06:42 PM
What's up fish folks?!

Big update for this tank. Have had my first several corals in the tank for a week now, and they have done amazing. Params for the tank remain stable and I'm finding little organisms running around and even some goodies like little featherdusters are growing out of the live rock. All in all, I'd say that this tank is so far a success.

Due to the healthy behavior of the current corals, I have decided to take a fairly large leap and take advantage of a huge coral sale on the AquariumDepot website. Once my shipment comes in, I will upload a bunch of progression shots. For now, I will provide stock images of the corals to give ideas of what the animals will look like.

Here are the types I already have in the tank:

Red Acan

Multicolored Acan

Orange Button Polyps (this is my own photo, as I could not find any stock images)

This next one was sold to me as a Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris, but others have told me it is a regular Orange Lepto

Current major inhabitants are:

Electric Blue Hermits

Trochus Snails

Next post will be a rundown of all the new items I just ordered.

BluewaterBoof
12-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Items which should be arriving on Monday.

Zoanthids (zoas)

Barney Zoa

Candy Apple Zoa

Radioactive Zoa

Leather coral (Toadstool)

Purple Favites

These next ones are going to be an experiment, as their placement is going to play an important role in their success/failure in the tank.

Duncan coral

Blueberry Gorgonian

BluewaterBoof
12-15-2017, 06:51 PM
And finally, I also ordered several of these guys to get some new inverts into the tank. These are called Sexy Shrimp, due to the little booty-swaying dance they are known for.

Compass
12-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Looks awesome boof! Great set up. Whenever I can get a chance to build a salt water tank I want the whole thing filled with zoanthids. I think they are so neat. I saw a video online of a tank that had nothing but those guys in it and it blew my mind.

BluewaterBoof
12-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks, man!

Yeah, I really like the zoas as they come in some pretty wacky colors. My current favorites are the acans, though. They look amazing when glowing under the actinic lights. Plus they're fun to feed :)

Fast-forward to the 1:30 mark to see some crazy feeding action. I don't use a turkey baster to feed mine as I take great care not to leave leftover food in the nano tank. Using long tweezers to directly feed mine prevents uneaten food from fouling up the tank.

https://youtu.be/GsfBjsPavJw

Compass
12-15-2017, 09:48 PM
That is super cool! Love how quickly they respond to the food.

BluewaterBoof
12-15-2017, 10:21 PM
They've got pretty good reaction times. They retract fairly quickly when I get too close, bump the tank, or when one of the hermits decides to stroll over them. Sometimes adjusting the powerhead in the tank and causing a change in how the water moves around the rocks and corals will cause them to retract, as well.

I believe the video of them eating is slightly sped up, though. Mine don't gobble down their shrimp that fast. It's a process that takes several minutes in my tank. Once I place the food in the acan's mouth, I have to stand guard and prevent the hermits from coming over to steal the food.

Compass
12-15-2017, 10:40 PM
They've got pretty good reaction times. They retract fairly quickly when I get too close, bump the tank, or when one of the hermits decides to stroll over them. Sometimes adjusting the powerhead in the tank and causing a change in how the water moves around the rocks and corals will cause them to retract, as well.

I believe the video of them eating is slightly sped up, though. Mine don't gobble down their shrimp that fast. It's a process that takes several minutes in my tank. Once I place the food in the acan's mouth, I have to stand guard and prevent the hermits from coming over to steal the food.

Oh I see, that makes sense. Get a small terracotta dish and put some food on it to keep the hermits occupied. :P

kaybee
12-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Great update!

Zoanthids and acans are great to start with and are hardy. The blueberry gorgonian may be somewhat hard to keep. Leather corals are easy to keep but may engage in allelopathy (chemical warfare); but that can be off-set with carbon use.

BluewaterBoof
12-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Yeah the gorgonian is a shot in the dark for me. I needed to add a couple bucks extra to my order to get the free shipping and the blues were $3 each so I grabbed a couple. I had read they prefer non-lateral water flow and don't require lighting so I was thinking of putting them on the side of the tank where the water flow is deflecting down and put the other on the opposite end where the water is deflected upwards and then wait and see if either responds well. If not, it's only $6 down the toilet :)

Spardas
12-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Boof, great to see you taking the big jump and great score on some of those frags. I'm curious to see how they come out as I've never dealt with that vendor before.

Check out LRS reef frenzy nano food. I also like reef roids from Polyp Lab and a couple of other choices from Reef Nutrition. I also grow my own phytoplankton as well. But if you can't grow your own, the alternatives I've stated aren't bad. I've had good results personally as well as with other folks. As I've mentioned to you before, food particle should be small so that they don't have to use more energy to break down the food.

The gorgonian isn't hard to take care of as long as you keep nitrates in check and other parameters in line. Most importantly, it needs to be fed. You'll be stoked to see the polyps action in gorgonians during feeding. It's pretty amazing.

At this rate, you should start planning for that bigger tank next year, lol.

Taurus
12-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Andre, as soon as you started this journal, I did a bit of searching around the web on nano reef tanks and ran across the tank in the link below. I hope you don't mind me linking to it here, it's just such a beautiful little piece of art and science. I'm sure your project here will turn out equally beautiful and interesting because you'll put as much effort and resource into it. Hope to see some pictures soon as time allows.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/323574-the-italian-nano-cube/

RiversGirl
12-18-2017, 04:04 PM
That is a stunningly beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing it.

BluewaterBoof
12-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Andre, as soon as you started this journal, I did a bit of searching around the web on nano reef tanks and ran across the tank in the link below. I hope you don't mind me linking to it here, it's just such a beautiful little piece of art and science. I'm sure your project here will turn out equally beautiful and interesting because you'll put as much effort and resource into it. Hope to see some pictures soon as time allows.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/323574-the-italian-nano-cube/

Yeah, I love the nano reef photos. Lots of inspiration all over.

Here are two photos from last night. One of the hermits was begging for food. He saw me wiping the glass and came over. The other photo was after feeding one of my acan corals. Still has a bit of shrimp sticking out of the mouth on the right haha

Boof, great to see you taking the big jump and great score on some of those frags. I'm curious to see how they come out as I've never dealt with that vendor before.

Check out LRS reef frenzy nano food. I also like reef roids from Polyp Lab and a couple of other choices from Reef Nutrition. I also grow my own phytoplankton as well. But if you can't grow your own, the alternatives I've stated aren't bad. I've had good results personally as well as with other folks. As I've mentioned to you before, food particle should be small so that they don't have to use more energy to break down the food.

The gorgonian isn't hard to take care of as long as you keep nitrates in check and other parameters in line. Most importantly, it needs to be fed. You'll be stoked to see the polyps action in gorgonians during feeding. It's pretty amazing.

At this rate, you should start planning for that bigger tank next year, lol.

A lot of my success so far has been due to all the info and advice you've been pouring into my head haha I had looked into the Reef Roids but wasn't sure if it was a good one to use. I've been holding back on feeding the finer particulate foods as there aren't a whole lot of animals in the tank yet and I want to keep the nitrates down. For now I've been direct-feeding with pieces of mysis shrimp that I soak in PhytoChrom. Using my scaping tweezers, I take the bits of pieces and deposit them directly to the coral mouths and the crabs. Doing it that way keeps the food from floating around the tank and fouling up the water. The only time I've fed the phyto directly is with my button polyps and leptoseris. The lepto is doing good and already starting to creep down onto the LR thumbs2:

Once I get my corals in this week I'll look into the LRS and Roid foods. I'm soon going to have a lot more hungry mouths to feed!

mch1984
12-19-2017, 10:30 PM
I with you on the Acans, they quickly became some of my favorite corals after seeing some local reefers massive colonies. Have you looked into Rock Flower Nems? I'm so intrigued by those guys I'm going to be replacing my little planted tank at work with a nano dedicated to them. Such cool little creatures. Nice progress on your tank!

BluewaterBoof
12-20-2017, 01:31 AM
I with you on the Acans, they quickly became some of my favorite corals after seeing some local reefers massive colonies. Have you looked into Rock Flower Nems? I'm so intrigued by those guys I'm going to be replacing my little planted tank at work with a nano dedicated to them. Such cool little creatures. Nice progress on your tank!

Right?! I saw that person post up their photo of their rock nem with the porcelain crab today and I went gaga over it. I hadn't seen the rock nems before today.

mch1984
12-20-2017, 01:34 AM
I bought three "plain ones", two are white zebras and the other is a red/orange color and green. But as soon as i got them I started looking at other colors and the best set up i could do for a tank full of them.

BluewaterBoof
12-20-2017, 03:00 PM
That's really cool. I hope they do well for you! Share lots of photos/vids!

Taurus
12-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Share lots of photos/vids!

You should take you own advice :thumbupleft: BGK...just sayin...

mch1984
12-20-2017, 03:09 PM
That's really cool. I hope they do well for you! Share lots of photos/vids!

Well tonight is feeding night for them and the coral anyways. So I'll get a video of their feeding response tonight.

Boundava
12-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Looking forward to it :thumbup:

mch1984
12-21-2017, 03:35 AM
Here is just a short little video of the rock nems eating their mysis. It’s just the initial response, it takes them another 10 seconds or so to completely close up, then they open back up and look fluffy lol.

https://youtu.be/gJNCVn_Phd4

BluewaterBoof
12-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Love it. Cute little guys!

You don't turn off your flow when target feeding?

mch1984
12-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Love it. Cute little guys!

You don't turn off your flow when target feeding?

I haven't yet but that's because I haven't been target feeding my coral yet. I do broadcast feed them, but not target. Twice a week I broadcast feed the coral, and target feed the anemones and I do it all at the same time. So whatever the anemones don't get when I feed them the fish pick up. Clowns go crazy of mysis shrimp.

BluewaterBoof
12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm still fishless in this tank so I keep forgetting about other mouths catching floating food haha I'm so paranoid about uneaten food in this little nano. All my corals and my sexy shrimp are being delivered today, so I'm hoping that the additional animals will make me a little less nervous about feeding.

mch1984
12-21-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm still fishless in this tank so I keep forgetting about other mouths catching floating food haha I'm so paranoid about uneaten food in this little nano. All my corals and my sexy shrimp are being delivered today, so I'm hoping that the additional animals will make me a little less nervous about feeding.

I could actually benefit from a little more cleaning crew. I have some snails and a few hermits but should probably add some shrimp. I have access to some peppermint shrimp that I may add a few of. I'm going to buy one today, but that's for a Pico reef I'm putting together for my dad for Christmas. He's always wanted an aquarium but was afraid he wouldn't maintain it. So I put the easiest little pico tank possible for him, should be cool.

BluewaterBoof
12-21-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm shying away from peppermints. I've seen too many posts on the SW group of people getting them for aiptasia control and the peppers tear up their corals. I guess there are several different types of peppermints and some people end up with the more destructive ones. At least that's what I've gathered from the SW group.

mch1984
12-21-2017, 08:13 PM
MMMM, I haven't heard that before. Maybe I should stay away from them, maybe go with the sexy shrimp instead. The options are limited on his 2.5 gallon pico. The only reason I was really considering the peppermint was because I could source them locally. But it may be worth it to just get some sexy shrimp ordered in after the holidays. I kind of want some for my tank anyways. I could get him and me both a couple of them.

BluewaterBoof
12-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Here is a shot of my little sexy shrimp. They're cleaning a zoa frag that came in the other day. Only about half my frags that I got on Thursday have opened up. Last night my zoas were finally starting to open and show their colors, and the polyps on my toadstool leather are finally starting to extend. I'm pretty optimistic that everything will be open in all their splendor by this weekend and I will be able to get some neat photos.

So the tank has been up exactly 4 weeks to the day. My thoughts and experiences with my first venture into the deep blue seas, so far:

Marine tanks can be as expensive or cheap as you want them to be. They can be done on a smaller budget and I have easily spent just as much, if not more, on some of my freshwater setups as I have my marine tank. You just gotta be on the lookout for sales on items and get them at discounted prices. I happened to set this up at the perfect time of the year and got most items and animals between 25-50% off with all the holiday sales as vendors were trying to clear out stock at end of year.

Water changes reverted back to "old school." No more easy drains/fills with a Python. RODI water has to be made, which takes my little RO Buddy about an hour to make 3g of pure water. I then have to add salt to the RODI water and mix. I let the water church in the bucket with a 800gph circulation pump and a 150w heater for about 2hrs to ensure all the salt is dissolved and mixed and temp matched to tank. I then do a 3g water change, which comes out to around 35% since the substrate and rock displace so much water. I've done five water changes in the last 4 weeks...so that's a water change every 5 or 6 days.

Water changes are my only nitrate export. I'm used to running tanks that need nitrate dosing because all the plants suck everything up. In this tank there is nothing that uses up the nitrates. Performing frequent water changes keeps my nitrates around 5ppm. A protein skimmer and use of a refugium filled with macroalgae is ideal for sucking up and preventing nitrates in a marine tank, but since this is a nano tank I would rather do regular water changes as opposed to spending a ton of money on the skimmer and 'fuge.

Corals are amazing animals. They're like plants with active response behaviors. They open up and show great polyp extension and colors when happy, extend feeder tentacles when hungry, and close up and shy away when disturbed. When the white lights are turned off and only the actinic blues are running, the corals glow with all kinds of psychedelic colors. They also engage in warfare with one another and care needs to be taken when selecting which species and their placements in the tank in relation to one another. They have "sweepers" that will reach out and sting each other, and some will actually push out their stomachs to dissolve/eat neighboring corals.

"Salt creep" sucks. For those without marine tanks, think of all the calcium and water spots that build up on the lip of your tank, lids, and sometimes lights. Now replace all that with crusty salt. It gets everywhere. Any kind of surface agitation, which is of course needed for gas exchange, seems to lead to salt creep around the tank.

Hermits are !@#holes. They drag their heavy shells with their sharp legs all over your corals, aggravating then and causing them to close up. They also steal food from the corals, ripping it right out of the mouths. They're also hideous when out of their shells, which doesn't happen often, thank god. One of mine was bullying a snail so I flipped him back with my tweezers. The shell landed in a way that he was stuck like a turtle on its back, and he crawled out of the shell, exposing his hindquarters. I wanted to gag.

All in all, saltwater is really fascinating and not really any more difficult than freshwater. Sure, it has its quirks, but no more so than any other tank. Maintenance on this tank is actually less than my heavily-planted freshwater setups that require daily dosing and frequent trimming.

BluewaterBoof
12-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Hmmm, that's weird. The photo isn't showing up for me. Let's try that again.

mch1984
12-28-2017, 02:14 AM
Just a thought on the fuge idea with the nano. Look at micro algae reactors. I was given an inexpensive hang on reactor for Christmas that Iím going to use for it. Then wrap it in grow strip lights. A few people locally have done them for their nanos and they work great. Plus you can usually find somebody wanting to get rid of some cheato to help seed it. Just an idea for nutrient export on a small Tank.

Taurus
12-28-2017, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB1xbOqCRo

It's an algae scrubber for a marine tank.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB1xbOqCRo)

BluewaterBoof
12-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah I've looked into the external chaeto reactors but I don't have room behind the tank and want the view from the front and sides to be uncluttered. I'm toying with the idea of creating a mini-refugium in the filtration end of the tank.

Chambers from left to right are: C, B, and A

Water enters via overflow at top of chamber A, works it's way through the filter media in chamber B, then enters chamber C which holds the heater and the return pump.

For now I have ordered a cheap solution in the form of a bag of Purigen and a bag of Phosguard, which I will insert into chamber A and will scrub the water for me for the next couple of months.

During that time I will save up and get these inserts for chambers A and B.

Chamber A will then house the mechanical and chemical filter media, and chamber B will contain chaeto. I will then use a light such as this (https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Marine-Magnafuge-Magnetic-Refugium/dp/B00F0GOTR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514491458&sr=8-1&keywords=magnafuge+led+refugium+light), which is less than an inch thick and is held to the side glass via a magnet, to grow the chaeto.

Spardas
12-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Yes, the lower half of a hermit crab isn't very appealing. Glad mostly everyone is doing well in the tank. Time to convert the 90 to SW!

kaybee
12-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Hermits are !@#holes....

Yeah, they can be like that...when I use to feed mysis shrimp to my corals, they'd get plundered by the hermits.

In regards to corals,

...They have "sweepers" that will reach out and sting each other, and some will actually push out their stomachs to dissolve/eat neighboring corals.

Depending on the coral these sweeper tentacles can extend out 4" to 6".

I had one ambitious coral capture a hermit crab with its mesenterial filaments (with protracted effort, the hermit made its escape without having to vacate its shell). Made for an interesting photo shoot.

BluewaterBoof
12-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Time to convert the 90 to SW!

That is going to be a bit in the future, my friend. I like being able to focus on this little tank and watch all the different interactions within it and not stress about certain things. Converting the 90g to a SW will be a large task and I'm not sure if that is the direction I want to go in, just yet. I was chomping at the bit a month ago and wanting to get a larger tank up and running, but now that I've tasted what running a SW setup is like, I want to take it reeeeaaaaally slow.

First and foremost, I would have to upgrade and get a larger RODI unit, along with a large storage tank, and then figure out how to plumb it across the house to the display tank. That, or I'd need to invest a lot of money in equipment that help reduce the amount of water changes.

I feel like my next step up in the saltwater side of the hobby would be something like a 40breeder with a 20long hidden underneath for the sump/refugium. For now, though, my little nano is more than adequate :) One day I will have a monster reef, but that day probably won't come around until we have our own home and I can hide equipment behind walls.

BluewaterBoof
12-28-2017, 11:25 PM
Depending on the coral these sweeper tentacles can extend out 4" to 6".

Yeah, I went out on a limb and purchased a favites which has been in the tank for about a week. I knew the risks beforehand but my curiosity got the better of me and so I added it to my list of corals. The tank isn't very big so I am not able to place it more than about 5" away from the other corals. I'm keeping an eye on it and will rehome it should it become hostile and harm the other animals.

....although I wouldn't be opposed to it taking out one or both of the hermits thumbs2:

mch1984
12-31-2017, 08:24 PM
That is going to be a bit in the future, my friend. I like being able to focus on this little tank and watch all the different interactions within it and not stress about certain things. Converting the 90g to a SW will be a large task and I'm not sure if that is the direction I want to go in, just yet. I was chomping at the bit a month ago and wanting to get a larger tank up and running, but now that I've tasted what running a SW setup is like, I want to take it reeeeaaaaally slow.

First and foremost, I would have to upgrade and get a larger RODI unit, along with a large storage tank, and then figure out how to plumb it across the house to the display tank. That, or I'd need to invest a lot of money in equipment that help reduce the amount of water changes.

I feel like my next step up in the saltwater side of the hobby would be something like a 40breeder with a 20long hidden underneath for the sump/refugium. For now, though, my little nano is more than adequate :) One day I will have a monster reef, but that day probably won't come around until we have our own home and I can hide equipment behind walls.

I was going to go Red Sea but I have a 56 gallon column I’m going to convert. Same reason, I want to go slow and learn before I dive into something huge. I figured I could learn a lot building one from the ground up. Maybe I’ll start a build thread on here. Like the mini fuge idea you have going there. I’m going to have to move my tank out from the wall to get my reactor in. I’m dreading it.

mac
01-01-2018, 01:25 AM

Sounds so similare to me. Build it up from scratch.
So far it actually sounds so so much more easier than jumping in the deep end.

Though it looks like the sw community might get a massive shake up. I know nz is. Fiji has stopped all havesting effective today I believe. Open for review 2019. So possiblemass reef fish rooms need to start up to keep things in the market. So guess going slow for me my be on a knife edge.

But back on topic a local reefer has found that in reality the system is really is a simple as you want it to be. For example his 130 red sea reefer get FW daily ATO with depending monthly to every second month a water change with SW direct from our oceans. ONly filtration is coffee filters to filter out particles. Thus far from what I understand 20 years of reefing not a single issue. Very little aditives added to keep the corals happy, IE massive savings in NZ.

As for awaiting your own home, why not build a stand to accomidate say a 100g with a 50g sump?? If you make it easy to transport and move around not only can you hide the equiment. But shift it easy as can be. Thats what we are doing with my 130g reef. Basic steel stand which can be lifted by people or forlift pellet forks or the old faishing lift the tank base off and away you go. At least then no waiting!

BluewaterBoof
01-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Finally have all of my test kits and dosing chems for the tank and have been sorting stuff out the last couple of days.

Finally got my Phosguard and brought my phosphates down to more reasonable levels. I haven't had an ungodly issue with algae (only had to clean a light dusting off the glass twice in the last month) but wanted to address the issue before it got out of hand.

Nitrates are staying at 5ppm.

pH was low but once I upgraded my pump to a Jebao PP-4 the surface agitation got way better and the pH rose to the 8.1-8.2 range.

kH/alkalinity was low and magnesium and calcium were a bit elevated. I was instructed by other reefers to bring up the alkalinity and informed that the mag and cal would sort themselves out. I also finally received my new bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt today and will start using that for my future mixes. From what I've read from others' experiences with it, it has a higher alkalinity than what I've been using (cheap Coralife salt). I have dosing chems to manually raise the alkalinity, but if the switch to the Red Sea salt saves me the effort of having to dose the tank I'll be happy.

Anyway, finally got the frags separated from their plugs and glued to the rockwork. Some of my zoas are opened nice and full, some have been really slow to open up. They also get molested by the hermits, which is stressing them out, for sure.

Here is a little vid of the tank under full lighting. One of the hermits had gone through and bulldozed my acan coral and some of the zoas about 30 mins prior to this vid, so they aren't fully-extended just yet. My duncan has never fully-extended, either. I'm hoping the increase in alkalinity will help. I don't think it looks unhealthy, and it readily takes whatever food I give it, but it doesn't have great polyp extension. Tank still has a looooooong way to go but have to remember it has only been up since the beginning of December.

Firefish starts peeking out of his bolt hole around the 0:45 mark and then comes out at 1:16. I had been dosing the tank with a kH booster immediately prior to the vid, so he was hiding during the process.

https://youtu.be/Naa6I7tZfJE

I'm going to add a second fish, a goby, and that will be it for fish in this tank. I'm also going to rehome the hermits due to their destructive and aggressive behavior and replace them with possibly a porcelain nem crab.

BluewaterBoof
01-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Don't be dumb like Boof, kids. Don't make your salt mixes when distracted or bone-tired.

I made a mix with my new fancy salt last night but was completely burnt-out during the process and it was super late. Pulled out my refractometer and decided to re-calibrate it since it had been a week since I last used it. I use a calibration fluid that measures 35ppt salinity. I got my bottle of the stuff and set it down at my little mixing station where I had my bucket of saltwater that was mixing along with all of my other test kits. Mr. Genius here then proceeded to take a sample out of his still-mixing saltwater bucket and calibrate the meter to that instead of the calibration fluid.

Didn't realize what I had done until after I thought I was done making my new mix. Decided to test the mag, cal, and alk of the water since I was using my new Red Sea salt for the first time and wanted to compare the numbers to the cheap stuff I had been using for the last month. The tests came back off the charts. That's when I went back through the process in my head and realized my mistake. I went back and re-calibrated the refractometer using the fluid and saw my salinity was off by 7ppt.

Stupid, stupid mistake. If I had just gone off what the salinity was reading like I usually do, that god-awful mix would have gone right in the tank.

angelcraze2
01-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Well, reading that Boof, it sounds like you had a lot going on while you were so tired. Good on you for noticing your mix up before the water you made went into the tank! Good to remember for next time for sure!

BluewaterBoof
01-04-2018, 08:53 PM
It's probably right up there in the top dumbest things I've done relating to this hobby.

angelcraze2
01-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Dumb on your list maybe, but I've seen many dumber things relating to this hobby!

mch1984
01-04-2018, 10:19 PM
It's probably right up there in the top dumbest things I've done relating to this hobby.

Itís not that bad, this coming from the guy that silicones a wooden block into a sump lol.

BluewaterBoof
01-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Ah yes, the spacer block. I forgot about that! Did you get all the baffles back into place, Matt?

BluewaterBoof
01-05-2018, 01:24 AM
Here is the larger of my two acans. It's nice and extended tonight. All those mouths wide open...its beckoning me to feed it! I'll see about getting it's feeding on video. I need to figure out a way to prop my phone up for a nice steady video.

mch1984
01-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Yes I have all the baffles in place, just need to get it plumbed in. Between Christmas and bronchitis I haven't gotten much done with it. But it's ready, and no more spacer block.

cajunqn81
01-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Feed me! Feed me! :cookiemonster:

kaybee
01-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Finally have all of my test kits and dosing chems for the tank and have been sorting stuff out the last couple of days...
Finally got my Phosguard and brought my phosphates down to more reasonable levels...kH/alkalinity was low and magnesium and calcium were a bit elevated...I have dosing chems to manually raise the alkalinity...

What where your phosphate levels at prior to the phosguard and what level were they brought down to?

How low was your alkalinity and magnesium and high was your calcium?

What products are you using for alk/mag/cal?

One of the hermits had gone through and bulldozed my acan coral and some of the zoas about 30 mins prior to this vid...

That hermit seems to have a well-sized shell!

Also, nice acan in your last post! As time goes on you will see it develop additional polyps and grow.

BluewaterBoof
01-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Thanks! This is what it looked like when I first got it three weeks ago. I'm guessing the change in coloration was due to a difference in light from the LFS vs mine.

That hermit is a jerk! I've been bitter ever since he stripped my gorgonians. Next week I am going to the LFS again to browse for some more corals and I'm donating him back. He's just too disruptive in the tank.

Phosphates were 0.5ppm. Since adding the Phosguard Tuesday they have dropped down to 0.1-ish. Hard to read with the Seachem slider chart. I'm hoping in another week or so they will be undetectable.

Values on the 30th were:
SG 1.025
pH 8.0
dkH 6.8
Mg 1485ppm
Ca 480ppm
NO3 5ppm
PO4 0.5ppm

After some small doses to raise the alkalinity and a ~35% water change the other night with the Red Sea Coral Pro (instead of the Coralife), my levels this morning are:
SG 1.0245
pH 8.1
dkH 8.9
Mg 1350ppm
Ca *no reading, had a hard time seeing the color change (I'm colorblind)
NO3 1ppm
PO4 ~0.1ppm

Used Red Sea kit for NO3, Seachem for PO4, API for pH, and Salifert for Mg/Ca/alk.

Would have been nice to be able to decipher the Ca results this morning, but after seeing how well all of the other levels tested, I'm going to assume they dropped a little more to optimal levels. I'm very pleased with the results today. They are moving towards my targets nicely. I'm assuming the other params will start to level out here very soon, and the alk should continue to rise a bit over time as I continue water changes with the Red Sea salt. Ever since I did the WC with the Red Sea salt, and started raising the alk, all my new zoas are finally opening up and I'm getting some of the best polyp extension I've seen so far on the duncan and acans.

As for dosing, I have the Red Sea Foundation Mg/Ca/alk pack. So far I've only needed to use the alk stuff.

BluewaterBoof
01-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Odd, not sure why the picture didn't attach. Let me try again.

BluewaterBoof
01-22-2018, 02:46 AM
My duncan is getting quite big now. I need to get some frozen shrimp from the grocery store and start feeding him large chunks instead of a million little mysis.

https://youtu.be/PVKoce1fz6A

BluewaterBoof
01-22-2018, 05:11 PM
I guess I tried posting a “draft” of the video. Not sure if it affected the ability of others to watch but I believe I have corrected the problem.

mch1984
01-22-2018, 05:58 PM
ha, my peppermint shrimp would have robbed him, got to be quicker than that lol. They steal from my rock nems all the time. Pretty duncan, look forward to trying one someday. Still enjoying the salty side?

cajunqn81
01-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Yep, he looks quite well-fed

BluewaterBoof
01-22-2018, 07:40 PM
My two hermits were re-homed due to their thievery. I also got tired of reattaching my corals that they kept breaking off from the LR. Now I just have very passive critters, snails, sexies, and my fire fish. It’s so much less stress without walking over to see one of the hermits trying to remove food from the corals.

Yep, still loving it. I’ve been using Aquarimate app on my phone to track all my params and have my dosing and water changes on set schedules. Not nearly as nice as having an Apex with dosers and all that fancy automated stuff, but I like being able to track everything.

mch1984
01-22-2018, 07:45 PM
I started using the aquarimate and it's been great. Once I figured out how to deal with them stealing stuff it got better. I have two peppermints and I know where both like to hang out. I actually have an order for all of it lol. Give the fish some, followed by the peppermint, then give the rock anemones theirs while everybody else is busy. Luckily Rock flowers have a faster reaction then the duncan or other coral. Once the 90 is up and going I'll have to decide if I want to go meaty foods like that for coral or stick to reef roid paste.

BluewaterBoof
01-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Yeah the LPS reaction time is super slow. My acans and favia are even slower than the duncan.

Do your rock nems move around a lot, or do they stay put? I’ve been wanting to try a nem but I’m just concerned about them moving around and knocking stuff all over.

mch1984
01-22-2018, 08:43 PM
No they don't, which is why I got them. I have three and 2 of them haven't moved an inch. One of them as moved around a little but not far, maybe an inch in a couple of directions. Yesterday he was on the glass for some weird reason, but went back to his spot later on. The best thing I have found oddly enough is a little rock I got from Petco. I don't normally shop there but I needed a little more rock so I stopped by. Like all their rocks it had a hole in the middle of it. I pushed it down in the sand and put one of the rock anemone in the hole and he has not moved at all, he loves his little hole. He can retract into it if he gets mad and the flat surface lets him open up nicely. Everything I've read said they like to put hide their foot entirely and can be put into a hole in the rock or they will bury it between the sand and rock.

BluewaterBoof
01-22-2018, 08:47 PM
That’s cool. I may look into them as an addition to this tank. Thanks for the info, Matt!

mch1984
01-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Not sure how much you want to spend but look at kush coral, they have some spectacular colors for the rock nems. He can be pricey but I have heard great things about dealing with him. I'm going to have a garden of them in the 90, think between 6-10 all on a rock pile. I will probably go to him for some of them, I want to be picky about them when I do it.

mch1984
02-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Hey did you ever add a rock anemone?

BluewaterBoof
02-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Hey did you ever add a rock anemone?

Hey Matt!

No, not yet. I'm getting a nice fat paycheck this Friday and will be ordering some from Kush. I'm looking to grab a pair of rock flowers and either a chalice or goni. I already have my cart filled with the animals I want, just hope no one snags the particular ones I picked out before Friday haha

mch1984
02-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Hey Matt!

No, not yet. I'm getting a nice fat paycheck this Friday and will be ordering some from Kush. I'm looking to grab a pair of rock flowers and either a chalice or goni. I already have my cart filled with the animals I want, just hope no one snags the particular ones I picked out before Friday haha

I understand, it sucks when that happens. He's high but man those colors are awesome! Post pics when you get them. I hope to be placing an exciting order in the next couple of days.

BluewaterBoof
02-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Sweet. Yeah, I think you saw my old post on FB regarding my LFS charging $80 each for basic 1" flowers. After that kind of sticker shock I didn't mind Kush's prices too much haha

mch1984
02-05-2018, 08:16 PM
I've never ordered from him but heard great things. Looking forward to how your experience is for future reference.

BluewaterBoof
02-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Placed my order this morning. We’ll see how it turns out. “Winter” shipment, yeah, but I think our mid-60*F weather will be mild enough for the animals haha

I ended up with several rock nems. I was going to just get one or two and then get some LPS frags but decided I’m tired of watching small frags grow out so opted for three nems, instead.

mch1984
02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Placed my order this morning. We’ll see how it turns out. “Winter” shipment, yeah, but I think our mid-60*F weather will be mild enough for the animals haha

I ended up with several rock nems. I was going to just get one or two and then get some LPS frags but decided I’m tired of watching small frags grow out so opted for three nems, instead.

They are beautiful, I think you will really enjoy them.

BluewaterBoof
02-28-2018, 11:23 PM
So my phone absolutely hated the spectrum of the stock light that came with this tank. Even using camera apps that applied filters to try to drown out the blues were no good. Here is an example. This was taken last month:

Awful, isn't it? You'll also have to ignore the salt stains down the back of the tank. The tank lid would build up small drops around the edges where it met the rimless tank and I would wake up to that crap every morning.

Fast-forward to this week. Finally was able to spend some extra money and get an upgrade; a new light. Not only is the light stronger than the stock one, but it also has a more pleasant spectrum and clips to the rim so I don't have to use the blasted hood anymore.

A teaser clip as well as some closer shots of some of the corals:

https://youtu.be/XGbiyvjD0QU

BluewaterBoof
02-28-2018, 11:29 PM
Apparently the site didn't like the size of the photos. I have resized them and will try uploading again.

mch1984
03-02-2018, 03:00 AM
Tank is looking great, what light did you get?

BluewaterBoof
03-02-2018, 04:17 AM
It’s just a little Aqua Knight. No where near as strong as the Kessils and AIs that folks are putting on their tanks, but it’s perfect for my current setup. I’ve noticed that everyone is buying these super expensive lights and yet they hang them 18”+ high over the tank and run them at low settings. I figured I could get an intermediate light for a fraction of the cost. One day I may upgrade but for now the light is perfect for the softies and LPS. The birds nest seems to love it, as well.

mch1984
03-03-2018, 12:38 PM
If it works and animals are happy thatís what matters. Results speak the loudest. When my 90 is up and going it will be running on a 4 bulb t-5 fixture for probably the first 6 months to a year. Iím in the same boat, Iíll up grade eventually but it will do just fine with that for now.

mac
03-06-2018, 07:25 AM
I have a zetlight a10210 or something like that.
Cheaper than most of the high end brands. Decent lighting, Wifi control.

Plus decent reviews. Be interesting to see how it goes once i finish the rock scape.
There have been a few local reefs i have seen running with a hob our ocean water with some cheap as led lighting working perfectly well.
Some days i swear the hype is the elite reef keepers with endless money having fun loading it over people.

BluewaterBoof
03-07-2018, 09:27 PM
I'm beginning to think the same thing. I've never really understood the whole issue with spending ridiculous cash on high-end lighting only to crank the light down and suspend it so high above the tank. A big argument I've seen is that the AI, Kessil, and Radion crowd is always acting doom and gloom about the black boxes catching fire. So far I have seen hundreds of people in the FB groups loving their black boxes and not a single person claiming they caught fire. In fact, the only person who admitted to having their LED catch fire told me it was an AI, either a Prime or a Hydra, can't remember.

I recently put some birdsnest frags in my tank, and they all seem to be doing fine. As time goes on I will try adding more SPS frags here and there and see if I can find a limit to this light.

A big update here that some of you may already be aware of due to communicating off forum, is that I had received my flower nems back in February and unfortunately every single one died in under a week. Myself and many others I have talked to about the situation believe something bad happened during shipment, due to how quickly they died and the smell from the shipping bags. Two of them were nothing but mush that disintegrated at the touch in less than 24hrs, and the remaining held on for a little bit longer but turned to mush just like the others. Unfortunately the seller is taking the stance that since they weren't entirely dead when they arrived, he is free of any obligation and I am SOL. All the money I spent on the animals and shipping is down the toilet.

In light of this I am obviously not going to order anything more from his company. I understand things happen but I feel like the seller, who I was in contact with from the very beginning and sent photos to while describing what was happening to the animals, could have handled the situation much better. I've never lost animals in shipment or during acclimation period before, so this was a new experience for me.

So now I have ordered from another vendor. This one was recommended by Spardas. He is a diver in Florida who collects the animals himself. I'm excited to see how these flower anemones fare compared to the ones from the previous vendor.

And now, a little clip I made when staying up late one night and was playing around with the iMovie app on my phone. It's nothing special, but I love watching my corals eat. My first attempt at using things like time-lapse, so it was more of a beginner project for me than anything special haha

https://youtu.be/7M6BkOyJAq4

cajunqn81
03-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Yep, vote with the pocketbook...

mch1984
03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry it worked out like that, I had heard good things about that vendor. It's a shame because now I'm hesitant to order from him in the future. I plan on having a large rock flower garden in the 90 and they had some great colors. But that doesn't matter if the vendor doesn't back their stuff up.

BluewaterBoof
03-08-2018, 04:56 PM
My experience was a bit of a disappointment, which started before the animals were even shipped out as my order somehow fell through the cracks and fulfillment experienced delays, but I don't want to turn anyone off from using that vendor. I know that no matter how good a vendor is, there's always going to be days in which **** happens and someone is left with a bad taste in their mouth. There have been plenty of times that I've had great experiences with vendors that some folks have issues with. I believe Kush's reputation is well-earned and I told him that although I was disappointed in how the transaction played out I still wished him and his company well. I'm sure he has worked his butt off getting his company to where it is and I don't want to take that away from him or divert business away from him. As you said, his stock is fantastic and I haven't really found any other vendors out there who offer the same diversity.

This new order that is arriving this morning is from Jason Fox (not the same guy who has his name on all those wild coral species), a diver and collector who runs Foxy Saltwater Tropicals. Prices are great and shipping is incredibly low for overnight. You're buying directly from the person collecting the animals, so prices are pretty much similar to wholesale prices as there is no middleman. He doesn't really sell any corals, but he's got a very nice selection of fish and inverts.

As I typed this the nems arrived. Just pulled them out and checked. All of them were open and the water was clear. Big difference from the last order, in which the nems were all closed up tight and the water was murky. I'm gonna take these little critters on home and get them in their tank. Pics/vids to come later once they get settled in.

Silbar
03-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Congrats on your new and healthy nems.

mch1984
03-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the new ones, can' t wait to see pics.

BluewaterBoof
03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
These buggers were sticky! Here’s a photo of them while I was temp acclimating. They’re a little closed up because I had to work a little bit to separate them from the bag.

So they held onto the bag, then they held onto the Tupperware, then they held onto the little plastic spoon I was using to gently transport them into the tank. At one point one of them even held onto my finger from when I was trying to gently push it off the spoon. I can’t really describe how...odd it felt to have an anemone stuck to a fingernail.

I was telling my wife that as much as it was a pain to get the animals into the tank, I was actually happy they were so active as it was a completely different experience from the previous shipment. Now seeing what healthy and active nems look like, I would have definitely known those other ones were bad news from the moment I saw them.

mch1984
03-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Glad to see they made it in good shape. If you think feeding coral is fun, wait till you get to start feeding these guys.

BluewaterBoof
03-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Haha I love feeding. When I got my first corals I was feeding like every day and staring in amazement. I had pretty high phosphate levels for the first several weeks :hmm3grin2orange:

BluewaterBoof
03-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Peeked into the tank this morning before work and the anemones are doing great. They didn't move away from where I initially placed them yesterday, so they are probably happy where they are.

I'll try giving them some yummy mysis tonight and record it.

kaybee
03-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Very nice! What's the care and requirements for rock anemones? I've never seen them in any LFS I've been to.

mch1984
03-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Glad these are doing better, not moving is one of th great things about rock anemones.

WhistlingBadger
03-11-2018, 01:02 PM
So cool. Congratulations!

cajunqn81
03-11-2018, 11:59 PM
Glad to hear you got a healthier batch this time

mac
03-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Watching this tank grows makes me so so excited to to have mine get closer to start work on stocking.

mch1984
04-23-2018, 09:09 PM
We need an update on this tank. It's been a while.

BluewaterBoof
04-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Haha ok Matt. Let’s see here...

Tank is doing real good. Scrapped the idea of turning the filter area into a refugium and decided to give a skimmer a try. After a week I can no longer detect any NO3. There is a spot of hair algae that I was growing out high on the back glass prior to the skimmer being added so I could see if the skimmer would have any impact and the patch has been slowly melting away day by day now that I’m skimming so that was a nice bit of verification that it’s been beneficial.

I was going over my stocking list with Spardas the other day and I’m kind of shocked at the level of biodiversity that marine tanks can have, even small tanks like mine. I listed everything out and I was pretty impressed.

Firefish
Sexy shrimp
Emerald crabs
Porcelain crabs
Spotted cleaner shrimp
Flower anemones
Cerith snails
Trochus snails
Micromussa (4 different types/colors)
Favia
Zoanthids (4 different types/colors)
Seriatopora
Duncan
Hammer
Favites
Leptoseris

This doesn’t include all the thousands of little pods and random critters like tiny feather dusters that were living in the live rock.

BluewaterBoof
04-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Iím trying to upload some photos but they may be too big. Let me resize them.

mch1984
04-23-2018, 10:53 PM
What skimmer did you go with? Iím playing around with some ideas on the 12 gallon. I thought I had a good idea for the fuge and light, but open to skimmers that actually work on a small tank.

BluewaterBoof
04-23-2018, 10:59 PM
What skimmer did you go with? I’m playing around with some ideas on the 12 gallon.

I got the Coralife Biocube skimmer off Amazon for ~$28. I figured it was so cheap I wouldn't be upset if it didn't work but it actually works amazingly well.

(stock image; this guy is hard to find in the tank)

New heads on my duncan

BluewaterBoof
04-23-2018, 11:00 PM
And some more....

(stock image, these guys hide a lot)

mch1984
04-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Excellent pictures! Hoping to get in with a buddy on an order soon and get some sexy shrimp. I like those guys a lot. Tank looks like itís thriving, congrats.

WhistlingBadger
04-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Woooooow....:18:

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 02:41 AM
Excellent pictures! Hoping to get in with a buddy on an order soon and get some sexy shrimp. I like those guys a lot. Tank looks like it’s thriving, congrats.

They’re pretty cool. They’re carnivores so they’ll eat a lot of the little bits of mysis and whatnot that get in the small areas that the fish can’t get to. They’re always cleaning the tentacles on my nems.

Woooooow....:18:

Right!? Marine stuff is fascinating. I’m in the planning stages of setting up a 20long reef with a 10g sump. Should give me a bit more room for the corals that are mean and starting to get territorial. They have plenty of room between them now, but in another couple of months down the road I’m guessing things may start getting crowded.

WhistlingBadger
04-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Corals get territorial? I always thought they were sort of like smart plants.

Boundava
04-24-2018, 03:10 AM
Cool photos Boof. Tank looks great.

mch1984
04-24-2018, 04:44 AM
Corals get territorial? I always thought they were sort of like smart plants.

Yeah they do, and itís a struggle. I had some kill another piece after a fish pushed them too close together.

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 05:30 AM
I thought of them similarly before I started getting into the marine side of the hobby. I never realized that corals were actually fleshy animals. But they’re animals and they fight each other for territory. Some send out long tentacles that can sting and kill other corals within reach, others emit toxins, and then you have ones that kind of eject their insides out, called mesenterial filaments, that are full of stinging cells and can kill and digest prey and competitors.

Corals can be nasty haha

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 05:33 AM
One of my favorite clips....

Brutal colony attacks and leaves just bare skeleton behind.

https://youtu.be/XsNsWTlFcCE

WhistlingBadger
04-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Wow...corals are so much cooler than I knew. Thanks for the new info. Creation is amazing.

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Hahaha love that show.

SueD
04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
One of my favorite clips....

Brutal colony attacks and leaves just bare skeleton behind.

https://youtu.be/XsNsWTlFcCE

Just incredible. About how long would something like that take? Once the damage had started, can some of the "victim" coral still be saved?

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 11:14 PM
SueD hours to days, I'd imagine, depending on the size of the colonies. The video covers six days.

As for if they can come back, yes, they are very resilient. You can take a colony like that and use a band saw and cut it up into pieces consisting of just a couple of heads. Those small fragments (frags, for short) will grow and multiply into their own large colonies provided they have good parameters. Coral fragging and selling is not unlike trimming freshwater plants and selling the trimmings. Saltwater tanks are a bit of an investment. You put in a lot of money into the lighting and initial animals, but once the corals start growing out you can frag them and start making back what you spent on the tank.

BluewaterBoof
04-24-2018, 11:17 PM
Neat little video on fragging

https://youtu.be/F2n5KZJ7TkU

RiversGirl
04-25-2018, 01:06 AM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Spardas
04-25-2018, 01:16 AM
Sorry, Boof. I pulled you to the dark side and got you addicted. Great job so far.

bpete
04-25-2018, 07:43 PM
very interesting to see this process.

BluewaterBoof
05-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Well, I fought it for five months. Every time we went to the reef shop, the wife and kid would gravitate towards the clowns. A week or two ago I finally gave in. I just hope he doesn't turn into a jerk. I've heard/read so many stories about clowns turning mean as they get older, which is one of the main reasons I was against getting one in the first place.

Here is our clown, Pennywise.

https://youtu.be/5MgX-wtusXk

WhistlingBadger
05-17-2018, 08:45 PM
here is our clown, pennywise.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

BluewaterBoof
05-17-2018, 08:47 PM
You nailed it buddy!

mac
05-17-2018, 10:13 PM
You know clowns have been a child hood fear. Even now they creep me out.

BluewaterBoof
05-18-2018, 03:50 AM

Have you read It or watched any of the movies?

BluewaterBoof
05-18-2018, 04:05 AM
Flower nems are so beautiful. They have been growing very fast compared to the corals.

This is what they looked like in March, when I got them. They were so small that one of them grabbed onto my fingernail with its foot when I was trying to get them into the tank hahaha

A couple days ago:

mac
05-18-2018, 04:17 AM
Have you read It or watched any of the movies?From a kid i have always hated them.

Mum was saying when i was three years old i saw Ronald MacDonald and ran away screaming.

Ever since mum and dad could not get me near clowns with out tantrums or me getting violent near them.

bpete
05-18-2018, 02:29 PM
gorgeous pictures.

mch1984
05-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Tank is looking great, clowns can be mean but I like them. They have great personality and very active fish, I don't know that I would have a salty tank without one. Yours looks great.

BluewaterBoof
05-18-2018, 05:03 PM
gorgeous pictures.

Thanks! Takes a lot of messing with the setting on the Aquarium Cam app in order to get all the blue light filtered out. I wish reef lights didn't mess with cameras so much haha

Tank is looking great

Thanks. I still can't get that blasted leather to fully extend its polyps, though. I have a dosing pump arriving today so I'm hoping that having more stable parameters will encourage the tips of the polyps to come out. I've tried other things like adjusting placement/flow/lighting/nutrients and none of that has made a difference so far.

SueD
05-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Hee hee. I used to collect all things "clown". Paintings, statuettes, decorative plates, etc. Had them displayed around the house. Would have been a nightmare for you to visit. :screaming:

mch1984
05-18-2018, 05:06 PM
It's odd how some things work for some and for others it doesn't. Xenia is suppose to be like a weed and be extremely easy, I can't keep in mine for more than a week before it wilts and goes away.

BluewaterBoof
05-21-2018, 10:08 PM
Went to my awesome local spot for some live rock and ended up getting a purple-tipped frogspawn and another porcelain crab haha
mch1984 here are some shots of the place. It’s the Southwest Reef Company I was mentioning the other day. I only got about half of the store in these shots.

They had a pair of lightning maroon clowns for $250 :bouncyyellow:

mac
05-21-2018, 10:34 PM
Come on man. Really???? Come on on!

To see something like that i would be best to fly to the islands from nz.

BluewaterBoof
05-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Haha sorry Mac! The sad part is that I had no idea about this place for the longest time. I was going to a different shop that had 1/4 the stock for double the price.

The frogspawn I picked up is stunning. I haven't gotten any photos of it yet but I'll grab some tonight.

mch1984
05-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Iíll have to stop by and check it out.

mac
05-21-2018, 11:58 PM
Haha sorry Mac! The sad part is that I had no idea about this place for the longest time. I was going to a different shop that had 1/4 the stock for double the price.

The frogspawn I picked up is stunning. I haven't gotten any photos of it yet but I'll grab some tonight.A shop like that would be cool.

But i feel the nz mind set would be a waste of time for the shop owner to go that extreme.

Kinda to much it would blow the locals mind and they would run away.

BluewaterBoof
05-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Almost ready for the transfer to the bigger setup. I'm going to try to have it all moved by this weekend. This current tank is only 13.5 gallons (the Fluval Evo is divided into a 12.5g display and a 1g filter area) and things are getting a bit cramped, so everything is going into a 20long with a 10 gallon sump. Still a nano, but we're looking at much more grow-out room for the corals and double the water volume.

The 20long has been set up for about two weeks with live sand and an Eheim to help remove the fine silt material. The sump baffles are coming in this afternoon, and I bought the 10g on Sunday, so tonight I will work on getting the baffles glued into place. The Eschopp's overflow is also arriving today. I still need to head to the hardware store and pick out all the PVC so I can start mocking up the overflow and return to and from the sump.

Here are some of the tank inhabitants. I really hope the transfer to the new tank doesn't shock them too badly. That's really the only concern I have at this point.

mch1984
05-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Wow, I had no idea you were upgrading. That's awesome! All my stuff transferred well from the 34, I even did some propagation while I was doing it. The only thing I lost was a torch and that was all me. I was trying to clip off a head that had died a long time ago and split the good head. Coral is looking great.

BluewaterBoof
05-29-2018, 08:39 PM
That makes me feel a bit better about the transfer. I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing. I mean, the animals do just fine going into the tank when I first buy them, so there probably won't be much of an issue moving across the living room haha

Oh! Our camping plans got pushed out so we don't have any big plans now. Are you and the wife still coming out to Coral Con this weekend? If so, we'll probably run into each other thumbs2:

mch1984
05-29-2018, 08:40 PM
Yes sir we will be, we'll actually get into town Thursday evening and then leave after coral con.

BluewaterBoof
05-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Right on! Doors are opening at 10am so I'll try to be there when they first open up.

mch1984
05-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Not sure when we will get there. Probably not long after doors open. It and southwest will be our last stops before we head home.

BluewaterBoof
05-29-2018, 11:01 PM
I want to show up when doors open to get a good look at all the corals, but I also want to stick around for the raffle, which won't be held until the afternoon. I know my family won't last that long so I'm not sure how I'm gonna work that out. I might have to drop them off back home around lunch and come back by myself haha

BluewaterBoof
06-04-2018, 11:15 PM
Transfer to the new tank is done. Here is a photo from Saturday shortly after lights came on.

The corals still hadn’t “woken” up so soon after the lights came on so they aren’t having the best extension in the photo, but it gets the general look/feel.

Still up in the air on whether or not I want to keep the white paint or if I want to scrape it off and switch to black. I love the way the white looked, but I finished hooking up my sump yesterday and the black overflow box looks really out of place against the white.

mch1984
06-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Transfer to the new tank is done. Here is a photo from Saturday shortly after lights came on.

The corals still hadn’t “woken” up so soon after the lights came on so they aren’t having the best extension in the photo, but it gets the general look/feel.

Still up in the air on whether or not I want to keep the white paint or if I want to scrape it off and switch to black. I love the way the white looked, but I finished hooking up my sump yesterday and the black overflow box looks really out of place against the white.

looks great! what lights are you running?

BluewaterBoof
06-04-2018, 11:27 PM
$60 Hipargero hahaha They’ve been working amazing so far. I stumbled on them several months back and bought a couple. Since then I had joined a nano reef group and was surprised that a lot of folks run them on their smaller tanks with good results.

mch1984
06-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Very cool, I'll have to look into them.

BluewaterBoof
06-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Was able to spend some time this past weekend working on making the sump and mocking up the plumbing. Was kind of a PITA getting everything just right.

The sump turned out pretty good. There is one silicone seal I’m not proud of as I couldn’t reach my hand in to smooth it into the corner, but everything turned out looking pretty good for a first attempt at a building a sump.

And the finished result. The drain pipe caused me the biggest headache. The sound of the water gurgling down it was coming up out of the overflow and sounding like a dang bathtub draining out. It was loud and awful. When I was getting ready for work I suddenly came up with the idea to use a couple of elbows at the bottom of the drain pipe to kill the gurgling vortex that was spiriling down. Adding the U bend at the end of the pipe completely eliminated the loud gurgling. Tilting the very tip a little bit, as seen in the clip, helped reduce splashing inside the sump and further quieted down the whole system.

https://youtu.be/s8WS7HxZxj4

mch1984
06-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Looks good, where did you get you baffle kit?

BluewaterBoof
06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
From FleaBay. The kit wasn't expensive but the shipping could have been cheaper. It arrived the next business day but I would have gladly opted for a slower shipping option at a reduced cost had it been available. I was torn for a good couple of weeks, debating with myself on whether to get the kit or cut my own baffles. In the end, I decided I just didn't feel like dealing with measuring and cutting all the baffles and cut-outs.

Now I just need to get some better fitting lids to reduce the amount of evaporation. It wasn't too bad in the little Fluval Evo I had started with, but now that I have a longer display + the sump I'm losing quite a bit of water. I'm considering covering the sump's open top with cling wrap for now until I can find or make a tight-fitting lid that will still allow me to light the refugium.

mch1984
06-06-2018, 03:51 PM
My sump and tank are both open top, I loose a lot of water but the tank stays cool. Have you invested in an ATO yet? If so I would just leave it open, just my opinion.

I have been helping my dad with a nano tank, but he wants to keep SPS. Because of that I told him we need to seriously upgrade some stuff. I'm thinking about doing the next Petco sale and getting two tanks, display and sump. I was planning on getting one of those kits like yours, I like that the filter sock holder and all that is included in most. Makes it pretty much ready to go.

BluewaterBoof
06-06-2018, 05:29 PM
I've looked into ATOs but I've been very apprehensive about them. On rare occasions they will malfunction and flood the tank with water and either cause it to overflow or drop the salinity and stress/kill the animals. I have horrible luck with things. You'll find my picture next to Murphy's Law in publications.

Yeah, took like 15 mins to get the baffles squared, leveled, and sealed. Probably would have taken even less time if I had used a caulking gun instead of those little silicone squeeze tubes (kinda like a toothpaste tube). Longest part was letting the silicone cure.

I have a buddy here in town that said the next Petco sale is going to be this month so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

mch1984
06-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Oh nice! I'll pick them up. Your right they can malfunction and cause problems. I believe its the tunze ones that have built in safety timers, so if it runs to long it will shut it off. Of course i then forget to fill the reservoir up too, so that sucks. My buddy has his hooked directly up to his RO/DI system, which I hope to do one day. I also hope to add some float switches to the apex so it will alert me when my ATO is running low. But that's all down the road.

BluewaterBoof
06-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Well, the corals all got pretty PO'd from the transfer. Most of them took a full week before they started coming out again. My duncans, frogspawn, and one of my flower anemones are still in a funky mood, but I'm sure they're all going to be settled in and happy again in another week...hopefully. I'm gonna chop up some krill for everyone tonight and see how the buffet affects the moods. I had been broadcasting Reef Roids (a powdered food) into the water column to help dirty things up a bit throughout the week, but haven't given anyone some good ole fashioned meaty foods for a while.

https://youtu.be/nAFzbo9ZDPU

Just placed another order with my diver guy over in Florida for more flower anemones. I want to make an attempt at breeding them, though I do not know if I will be successful. I currently have three, but without any sexual dimorphism to go by I am not sure what m/f ratio I currently have. I ordered another four, so I'm hoping a total of seven will give me some good breeding odds.

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on breeding them. One individual, named Miguel Tolosa, wrote an article in a magazine after having some decent success with breeding them. Important info I was able to take away from the article was that males spawn four times a year (during the solstices and equinoxes) and that using a turkey baster to suck up the gametes as they're released from the males and deposit the material directly on the females greatly improves the chances of fertilization. Gestation period is about 2-3 months and it is important to feed the animals multiple times a week in the month leading up to the spawning.

Should be really fun trying to get them to breed. If I'm not entirely successful I won't be too bummed because they're already very amazing little creatures to raise, but if I can get some babies I will be very excited.

bpete
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
very nice video. I don't know anything about breeding anemones but I wish you success in this project. the aquarium looks amazing.

BluewaterBoof
06-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

It should be pretty interesting to try. Most (all?) other species of anemones reproduce asexually, so it’s pretty cool that these guys reproduce sexually.

mch1984
06-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks!

It should be pretty interesting to try. Most (all?) other species of anemones reproduce asexually, so it’s pretty cool that these guys reproduce sexually.

You start having babies, I'm going to have to come see you in New Mexico. One day when I have my fish room I want to grow and propagate bubble tips, I like anemones but wont put one in my 90.

angelcraze2
06-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Very cool. I am very much a newbie with SW, but your tank is very beautiful to watch. Those lights, are they rotating LEDs or is it all the flow (wavemakers) that makes it sparkle like that?

Lol, reef tanks are such the complete opposite of my Amazon inspired softwater tanks. I like how the SW community is trying to figure out ways to extend periods between WCs. Not to be lazier, I really actually enjoy changing water, but to save water. Saving water is more and more important to me.

I have been trying to change less water in my own tanks, but the TDS keeps climbing then. I'd have to use RO

RiversGirl
06-26-2018, 09:02 PM
I've been catching up on threads. Your video was neat to see. You've built a pretty tank. I hope your breeding plan gets results.

BluewaterBoof
06-26-2018, 10:03 PM
My LEDs are more of a point-source of light, so the shimmer from the surface agitation is super intense compared to a normal LED fixture that has a couple dozen or more diodes spread across the length of the fixture. Some folks like the shimmer effect, some don't. I've always like shimmers, so mine make me happy :)

The water changes... Yeah... I can do a 70-90% water change in a FW tank in 15mins or less. Easy breezy. A 20% water change in my saltwater tank takes over 2 hours as I have to make the RODI water, then mix the salt to the right salinity and temperature. Some people let their saltwater mix overnight but I haven't found it to be necessary. On top of the additional time for the water change, there is also the issue of the cost of salt. Not a huge cost for folks like me with smaller tanks, but when you're pushing over 100 gallons, the salt can add up quickly.

BluewaterBoof
06-26-2018, 10:04 PM
I've been catching up on threads. Your video was neat to see. You've built a pretty tank. I hope your breeding plan gets results.

Thanks, Rivers!

angelcraze2
06-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Thank you, you know, I think I know exactly what you mean. They don't rotate, but they have multiple angled lens which refract through the surface water waves? I could be wrong, I just have this image in my head. I like it too! It's like a dance party hahaha. It's just such a contrast to my tanks with very low flow, I have to laugh. It's cool with all the current, and I've always loved aquarium lighting with LEDs. The colors are beautiful and mysterious. LEDs started off mostly catered to SW mostly, so I did learn a bit about lighting SW too.

BluewaterBoof
06-26-2018, 11:47 PM
Pretty much. Here is one of my fantastic award-winning illustrations to help visualize how the different types of lights cast different shimmers.

The first/top example is like mine. It has a small cluster of diodes behind a lens, which acts like a spotlight. Because all the diodes are clustered together, there is no overlap in the rays of light. As the light hits the surface, the path is changed. Where the rays bend and converge, you get extra bright ripples, which leaves noticeably dark/shaded areas where the light is not converging and more spread out.

The second example is a generic long LED fixture. Now that there are so many more diodes emitting their own light, it’s now like dozens of spotlights spread out across the whole tank. The light ripples are still there, but due to the more even coverage there isn’t such a stark contrast between the bright ripples and dark areas, meaning a less obvious shimmer effect.

The last example is a solid long fluorescent tube. It offers even better light distribution since the entire length is emitting light as opposed to tiny diodes that are spread out. In those situations you have even less of a noticeable shimmer.

bpete
06-27-2018, 01:42 AM
That is very fascinating. Your illustrations make perfect sense. I used to enjoy how a metal halide light would give that shimmer but now I can visualize why even though they are different from the LED spots.

angelcraze2
06-27-2018, 02:38 AM
Agree ^^ I love your diagrams haha

BluewaterBoof
06-27-2018, 03:44 PM
bpete thumbs2: the Dr. Seuss reference in your signature :hmm3grin2orange:

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Check out the pattern of color on the little tentacles. One of my favorite corals in my tank.

LFS sold it to me earlier this year for $20 and told me it was an unnamed favia. Turned out to be an Ultron micromussa that sells for $80 for just a few heads.

https://youtu.be/92fzU4Inxbs

bpete
07-03-2018, 07:15 PM
I love the video. corals remind me of something extraterrestrial and the video editing and music just adds to that effect.

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Brian!

Corals are definitely my obsession. And my flower nems. The fish add some cool movement and all the crabs/shrimp add some fun to the tank, but I'm just gaga over corals.

mch1984
07-04-2018, 02:28 AM
Thanks, Brian!

Corals are definitely my obsession. And my flower nems. The fish add some cool movement and all the crabs/shrimp add some fun to the tank, but I'm just gaga over corals.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, my wife want s me to do a fish only so she can have a puffer. I just don't know if I could bring myself to build a salty system without coral.

SueD
07-04-2018, 02:43 AM
Do salt water puffers eat corals? A fish only tank might seem like a fresh water tank without live plants, although I understand the corals are, in fact, animals. But many cichlid keepers do manage to have decent looking tanks without a lot of plants. Are there any other interesting and colorful SW fish that can live with a puffer? Gotta keep the wife interested :l19:

mch1984
07-04-2018, 03:03 AM
Some will and some might, its a chance with most puffer breeds. There are some very nice fish you can keep with puffers, but I'm like boof and really like my coral. She also like the Foxface LO, which I will be adding to the 90 lol.

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Ok so this update is a bit of both sad and good news.

The bad news is that several of my corals never bounced back after the move to the bigger tank. Most of the corals perked up after a couple weeks, but some of them stayed looking pretty pathetic for weeks. I thought it was just the stress from the move at first since most of the corals started to come back to their former glory. After about 3 or 4 weeks, the flesh on my duncan started to recede (slow tissue necrosis, or STN), and my beautiful neon green birdsnest started to look awful and show lots of STN in its lower branches, as well.

I got a hold of Spardas and described my issue to him, and through his questioning we were able to figure out what went wrong. Turns out, I used the wrong type of silicone when I built my sump. When I was researching what type to use, I had read that GE 100% Silicone is a popular product, so that's the one I went with as it is readily available at local stores. Unfortunately, what I DID NOT know was that there are two types of GE 100% Silicone; Type I and Type II. You're supposed to stay away from Type II as it has mold inhibitors in it, and there are multiple stories on forums in which folks have nuked whole tanks by using Type II.

Stripping out the sump was a pain as it doubles as a refugium with macro algae and sand bed. Took me an entire evening after work to drain it, remove the chaeto algae and substrate, remove the silicone and baffles, clean, and then redo all the silicone with the correct safe type. I left the sump to cure for two days, keeping all my substrate and algae in a 5g bucket and running the tank essentially with nothing but wavemakers and heater.

I've done 4 water changes over the last week, and have seen some amazing recovery from the corals that did not look happy. The birdsnest is already starting to develop new polyps over the exposed skeleton, and I'm hopeful that it will look as good as new in the next week. The duncan, however, was a goner. I caught one of my crabs picking at the dead tissue and when I pulled the coral out to inspect it I was greeted with the lovely aroma of dead/dying animal...

Birdsnest before sump:

Birdsnest after being poisoned by sump's silicone:

Duncan before sump, with great tentacle extension and new heads growing:

Duncan completely receded for 3-4 weeks and dying:

showmebutterfly
07-09-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the death of your duncan, but so glad you were able to pinpoint the problem to get the rest of your corals healthy again. I hope everything continues to improve for you.

RiversGirl
07-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Oh Andrť, I'm so sorry you have these setbacks and lost your beautiful Duncan. I'll share in your hope that everything else will resume its growth now that you've solved the issue.

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 06:59 PM
On another note, I finally got an auto top-off going, and it works great.

I did not want to spend the money for a fancy ATO system, and I did not trust the cheap models because if they fail and stay on, they will flood the tank with RODI water, drop the salinity, and potentially kill the animals.

So what did I do? I went the DIY route :) This allowed me to build a system for a mere fraction of the cost of a fancy setup, and it also let me add redundancy to the system so that it would cut off in the event that the sensor stuck and tried flooding my tank with RODI. The sacrifice is that it does not look as nice as an ATO setup that costs hundreds of dollars, but I'm ok with that as it stays out of sight anyway.

Using Joey's (aka, the King of DIY on Youtube) tutorial for a DIY auto top-off, I turned a relay, float switches, and an old extension cord and 12v adapter into an ATO system.

Instead of going with just one float switch, as shown in Joey's vid, I opted for two. The primary switch activates the ATO pump when the water level drops to a specific point. The secondary switch cuts the power in the event that the first switch sticks and tries flooding the tank with RODI.

Relay wiring. Green paint is actually a "liquid electrical tape" that I picked up from the hardware store. You can apply it via brush to any exposed wires for a complete seal. Wait five minutes between coats and you can keep adding more and more. Very cool but has very strong fumes, so best to use in a well-ventilated area.

Added to a plain plastic box to further add to the safety of the device.

Complete ATO, comprising of relay box, switches, 1 gallon slim reservoir, Rio 180 pump, extension cord, and 12v adapter. I had the adapter, extension cord, and pump/tubing already on hand. All I had to buy was the reservoir, relay, and float switches. Float switches were $1.15each on eBay, 12v relay w/socket (8 pin) was $3.89. The 1g slim jug was actually the most expensive item from this build haha

And here is the working system. The lamp is being substituted for the pump in this example; light on signifying the pump adding water to the sump, light off means water level has reached target and the pump is turned off.

https://youtu.be/QI4_A6WBkaE

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the death of your duncan, but so glad you were able to pinpoint the problem to get the rest of your corals healthy again. I hope everything continues to improve for you.

Oh Andrť, I'm so sorry you have these setbacks and lost your beautiful Duncan. I'll share in your hope that everything else will resume its growth now that you've solved the issue.

Thanks! It was pretty sad. The duncan was one of my first corals and I got it around Xmas time as a tiny little thing. I enjoyed watching it grow up and was very excited when babies finally started appearing around the base of its head. I will be heading to one of my local reef stores tomorrow and look for a new one, but I'm still a bit upset with myself that my folly led to the death of one of my animals :/

bpete
07-09-2018, 07:20 PM
thank you for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear about your Duncan. I don't keep any salt water aquariums, at least not yet but it is still good information for all.

mch1984
07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear about this man, I'm glad you got it figured out before it got worse. I may have to watch that video, my dad needs an ATO system. I wish like hell you weren't 6 hours away, I have a nice duncan frag I would be happy to give you. If you will be in west Texas any time soon for whatever weird reason it's all yours.

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 07:58 PM
I appreciate the offer, Matt! I'm headed to Reef-Licious tomorrow to see what he has. I've been kind of flip-flopping between his place and Southwest Reef, lately. Southwest has nice big selections and is generally cheaper, but I have also noticed that even though Dee has higher prices at Reef-Licious, he also has some more unusual and prettier specimens.

Definitely check out Joey's tutorial on the DIY ATO. It was extremely easy to put together. The only extra item I got that I forgot to mention above was thermoplastic. I had a sheet of the stuff that I used for another project a while back and I cut a strip of it to make a hanger for the float switches.

WhistlingBadger
07-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Bummer about your losses, but great work figuring it out. Such a beautiful tank.

That auto topper offer is COOL! I always appreciate a creative project. Here's a little something to listen to while using liquid electrical tape in an enclosed location. I find that it enhances the experience...

https://vimeo.com/250113878

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 10:10 PM

BluewaterBoof
07-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Picked up a new duncan and some montipora digitata yesterday. Pretty pleased with the frags. Polyps and tentacles were extended within 20mins of being in the tank, so I'm hoping that's a good indication that most of the toxins from the old silicone are gone.

Still going to be doing repeated water changes every couple of days for the next week or so, just to try to get whatever was leached into the tank down as low as possible. I only have 5g buckets, so I'm limited to ~25% water changes. It's times like this that I really dislike not being able to use my Python and do the 70% WCs that I perform on my freshwater tanks.

mch1984
07-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Picked up a new duncan and some montipora digitata yesterday. Pretty pleased with the frags. Polyps and tentacles were extended within 20mins of being in the tank, so I'm hoping that's a good indication that most of the toxins from the old silicone are gone.

Still going to be doing repeated water changes every couple of days for the next week or so, just to try to get whatever was leached into the tank down as low as possible. I only have 5g buckets, so I'm limited to ~25% water changes. It's times like this that I really dislike not being able to use my Python and do the 70% WCs that I perform on my freshwater tanks.

Yeah for sure, I only have 5 gallon buckets but I do two buckets at a time for what amounts to about a 10% weekly. Can't wait to get a mixing station up and running.

BluewaterBoof
07-11-2018, 08:31 PM
I just ordered one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1610MB-Polyethylene-Lever-lock-Capacity/dp/B07DPX62G6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531340343&sr=8-3&keywords=20+gallon+drum). Food grade and durable, with a little modification to the lid to allow cords for powerheads and heaters, it should work well for long-term storage of new saltwater. Happy that it is small enough for me to hide in the corner near my 90g so that my wife won't give me grief about cluttering up the house.

I have a 550gph pump with an 8ft head height that should be plenty strong enough to pump the water over to the reef tank, and I believe I have a 5/8" nozzle for the pump to allow me to hook up my Python to it, which will save me $$ if I don't have to buy an additional hose.

mch1984
07-11-2018, 09:16 PM
Very nice, I'm spoiled and want to go with the two 55 gallon drum style in the garage. I need to get it done but also want to build a frag tank, can't decide which to do first. Smart thing would be the mixing station, but I've not always fallowed the logical path of thinking.

showmebutterfly
07-11-2018, 10:07 PM
I've been looking at the dollies they make for 5 gallon buckets. I will probably get 1 or 2 of those, maybe put a board over the top and a tablecloth for camouflage.
I saw a pic somewhere that had an ATO bucket camouflaged by having a painted bucket in a plant stand with a silk plant sitting on top. It was right next to their tank and you wouldn't know what it was unless you looked close and so the tubing.

BluewaterBoof
07-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Very nice, I'm spoiled and want to go with the two 55 gallon drum style in the garage.

My wife would be very unhappy if I got a drum that size. It's the main reason (in addition to the lighting) that I haven't converted my 90g into a reef tank.

I saw a pic somewhere that had an ATO bucket camouflaged by having a painted bucket in a plant stand with a silk plant sitting on top. It was right next to their tank and you wouldn't know what it was unless you looked close and so the tubing.

That's actually quite brilliant.

BluewaterBoof
07-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Some video I recorded last night before lights out. I know that some of the corals look really rough, like the birdsnest, but I can assure you that what is shown in the vid is much better than it was at the beginning of last week. Without being here and seeing what the tank looked like on a daily basis, there isn't really any way for you folks to know just how much of an improvement this is. I'm hopeful that the animals will continue to bounce back to their former glory.

The montipora and duncans that I just got are just placed on the rock for now so I can see how they react to the light and flow. Once I feel that I have them in spots that they like, I will remove those plugs and glue them to their spots.

Edit: I also want to add that I have not applied any filters to balance out the blues from the lights, so keep in mind that what you're seeing is not how the colors appear in person.

https://youtu.be/ZZyZzQ41UXM

BluewaterBoof
07-12-2018, 10:47 PM
For those who are curious, here is a breakdown of what is in the tank, and the time stamps at which they can be seen:

0:18 dwarf cerith snail
0:24 Raptor's Peace favia
0:27 montipora
0:35 leptastrea
0:44 Ultron micromussa
0:49 zoanthid
0:52 frogspawn
0:57 zoanthid
1:05 birdsnest
1:15 goniopora
1:30 Sunset Mocha ocellaris (clownfish)
1:43 Jack-o-lantern leptoseris
1:50 duncan (with another zoanthid colony to the left of it)
2:00-2:40 rock flower anemones (with two thor amboinensis shrimp)
2:47 fungia plate
2:58 micromussa lordhowensis
3:02 various zoanthids
3:19 hammer

Critters that did not make an appearance in this video are my porcelain crabs (one has an antenna and leg visible, but too hard to see unless you know exactly where it is), trochus snails, and emerald crabs.

showmebutterfly
07-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Thank you for that breakdown. It helps a lot.

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2018, 09:49 PM
I love playing with my macro lens for my phone. It's a bit mesmerizing watching corals, and a lot of wide-angle shots you see on the internet just don't capture the small details that make them so amazing to watch in person.

https://youtu.be/YJ8g8967yzs

Side note... starting to run out of Youtube songs for my vids. Anyone else notice that their library seems to have be drastically reduced recently?

mac
07-19-2018, 07:39 PM
I love playing with my macro lens for my phone. It's a bit mesmerizing watching corals, and a lot of wide-angle shots you see on the internet just don't capture the small details that make them so amazing to watch in person.

https://youtu.be/YJ8g8967yzs

Side note... starting to run out of Youtube songs for my vids. Anyone else notice that their library seems to have be drastically reduced recently?Yes indeed.

Try Ben's songs. Links are in my video's

BluewaterBoof
07-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the link! I'll check the songs out tonight once I leave the office.

BluewaterBoof
07-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Some updated pics

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Beautiful corals! I may break down and buy some for my tank soon, but I'm trying to resist. Pics like yours don't make it easy. lol

BluewaterBoof
07-31-2018, 08:56 PM
55999 thumbs2:

Full tank shot. Still debating on whether or not to repaint the back into either a dark blue or black. I like the white, but that overflow box stands out like crazy against the white.

The sump pump was turned off, so the water level was a bit low in the photo. When everything is running, the water line is right up to the trim.

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Wow! I don't know if I would have even noticed the background if you hadn't mentioned it. My eyes got distracted by all the pretty colors and didn't look past them. lol
Do you use a coral dip and / or QT your corals?

BluewaterBoof
07-31-2018, 09:32 PM
I didn’t dip in the beginning and now have some vermetid snails popping up here and there in the tank, so now I dip all new arrivals to make sure they don’t bring anything else into the tank.

This is the stuff I use. I mix it to 2/3 directed concentration and see almost immediate results. I set up three Tupperware containers; one with the dip solution and the other two have tank water. I soak the frags for about five minutes in the dip, and use a large syringe to repeatedly squirt the solution into the nooks and crannies around the coral. After I’m done with the treatment, I then move the corals into the two other containers with the plain tank water to rinse off the dipping solution.

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 10:48 PM
After the dip and double rinse do you put them directly into your DT? I've read that some people quarantine corals just like they do fish, but I don't know if have that much patience.

BluewaterBoof
07-31-2018, 11:42 PM
I just put mine right into the tank after the double rinse.

Granted, I don't have $100k invested into my setup, like some folks do, or run a business of selling corals. Jason Fox, a big online vendor who collects and distributes designer corals that fetch hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars for just a small plug the size of a quarter, has an extensive quarantine process that lasts for months before any of his animals go into his main frag and grow-out tanks. If a parasite happened to make its way into one of his main tanks, it could be disastrous and possibly ruin him.

Pretty much all of my corals were picked up from cheap frag bins haha If I lose them for whatever reason, yeah, it'll suck, but I don't really have much invested in them.

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 11:55 PM
I imagine mine will be coming from the cheap frag bin too. I can't see spending a lot of money on a coral or on a fish. There are plenty of pretty ones that won't break the bank.

bpete
08-01-2018, 11:43 AM
this is all great info for a neophyte like myself. love the pics.

mch1984
08-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Dipping is practice I have never gotten into, and I know I should. Most of my coral I knew they system it was coming from and wasn't worried about it. Either way I need to start at some point. I have vermetid snails and never worried about them a whole lot. I ended up getting a melanarus wrasse, and I haven't seen any since. He does a pretty good job keeping them under control and is a model citizen to everybody else in the tank.

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Mine hitched a ride in on my frogspawn. I saw the tube at first and didn't snap to what it was and put it in my tank. After learning about vermetids, I pulled the coral out and sealed the tube shut with crazy glue, then dipped it for good measure. Unfortunately, it was too late and I discovered five or six others on a nearby rock one morning when I was looking at the tank with a flashlight. I have been using needle-nosed pliers to crush them as I see them. It hasn't become an issue yet, but I'm trying to be proactive and prevent them from spreading out.

BluewaterBoof
08-09-2018, 08:10 PM
So my other two porcelains hide behind my rockwork and I only catch glimpses of them on occasion. This little guy, however, has taken up residence front and center in the tank, giving us 24/7 entertainment. My son loves when the little critter goes into "gobble mode" like this.

https://youtu.be/KDD4v9Bepys

angelcraze2
08-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Hahaha, that's so cool! I can see him grabbing particulates with his net paws. Reminds me of bamboo shrimp. Did you feed him, or is it floating stuff he eats?

BluewaterBoof
08-09-2018, 10:38 PM
I had been wanting something similar after keeping bamboo shrimp in the past. They don't disappoint!

Normally they just sit there, just like bamboo shrimp, but this guy/gal is in gobble mode in the video due to the nems just being fed a bunch of mysis shrimp and therefore there were some goodies floating around.

Since this one is so much more trusting, I reward it with the occasional yums so that it doesn't hide like the other two. When I'm feeding powdered foods to the corals, I'll squirt a little bit his way. There have been a couple of times in which I'll hold the feeder tube near him and give him some direct puffs of food, which he goes nuts for. Now when he sees the feeder coming his way, he will stretch out as far as he can on his tiny wittle legs and reach for the tip of the feeder tube. It's pretty adorable.

showmebutterfly
08-09-2018, 11:03 PM
He's a cute little guy.

angelcraze2
08-10-2018, 04:50 PM
That is freakin' adorable! I love it when you teach aquatic animals!

BluewaterBoof
08-10-2018, 06:03 PM
I know, right?! I have always wanted to hand-feed my black ghost, but having it in a community has ruined the chances of that haha

angelcraze2
08-10-2018, 06:09 PM
I hand feed all the fish I can. My big daddy BN pleco eats out of my hand now. I put the algae wafer right at the opening of his cave and he comes out right away now :) I love it!

My angelfish are easy to handfeed, rams almost as easy, but not tetras!

mac
08-13-2018, 03:11 AM
I hand feed all the fish I can. My big daddy BN pleco eats out of my hand now. I put the algae wafer right at the opening of his cave and he comes out right away now :) I love it!

My angelfish are easy to handfeed, rams almost as easy, but not tetras!Give it time. Tetras do come around to it quite easy.

BluewaterBoof
08-13-2018, 05:35 PM
My new twin spot gobies. So adorable and unique, but I'm concerned about their obvious state of being underfed. They have been sifting through the sand and pecking away at pods, but they haven't really filled out in the last couple of days. I will try feeding them prepared foods but this species is notorious for being difficult to feed.

https://youtu.be/6CQWptsXVIc

showmebutterfly
08-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Congrats on the new additions! I hope they will start eating well for you soon and end up all fat and sassy!

BluewaterBoof
08-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Well, Rebecca, unfortunately I lost my bigger twin spot last night. Found it this morning upside-down with a bristle worm starting to investigate and there were no signs of anything eating it so I'm putting the time of death within just a couple of hours of me finding it. It sucks but I honestly wasn't too shocked as they looked so underfed to begin with.

I still have the little one but I'm not sure if it is going to last long, either. I'm thinking that since they were bonded so closely that it will not survive long after losing its buddy.

mch1984
08-14-2018, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear it man, I'm always half afraid to add fish just in the fear of loosing them.

BluewaterBoof
08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Yup. That's why I stay away from the expensive ones. If I lose both of the twins spots it won't be devastating but it still stings a bit losing a fish on my watch.

mch1984
08-14-2018, 04:36 PM
I understand, my poor foxface probably just wants me to leave him alone. I can't help but hunt him down every time I got into the bedroom.

showmebutterfly
08-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Awww. I am so sorry to hear that! I hope the little one will start eating and pulls through. Darn fish. Breaking hearts and stuff. Why do we do this again?

showmebutterfly
08-14-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm very sure that's how my bicolor blenny felt when I had him in QT. The cardinalfish doesn't seem quite as annoyed to see me. But he may just be hoping for food...

I understand, my poor foxface probably just wants me to leave him alone. I can't help but hunt him down every time I got into the bedroom.

BluewaterBoof
08-15-2018, 05:13 PM
I've been hesitant to name this little fella as his fate isn't necessarily certain at the moment, but he was quite active last night. I sat there and watched him for about 15mins as he hopped around on the substrate, grabbing and sifting. It was by far the most active I have seen him since I picked him up on Friday.

I had squirted a tiny bit of Polyp-Booster, which is an amino/fatty acid supplement from Polyp Labs (same place that makes the popular Reef Roids), into the water as it is supposed to help stimulate a feeding response in most fish and corals. I normally just mix a little bit of it with my meaty foods like the mysis or krill that I chop up, but last night I put it directly into the water in sort of a desperate bid to get the fish to eat.

I definitely noticed a difference in activity/sifting from him after a few minutes. I'm not sure if the supplement really did stimulate his appetite or if maybe it just enticed more pods to come up out of the substrate in search of food, making it easier for the fish to locate and eat them, but either way I felt a small amount of relief seeing him so active after the last four days of relative inactivity.

Even though I feel my substrate has a very good population of pods, I went ahead and pulled the floss from my sump so that those that have been living in the refugium can start migrating into the display tank. Not sure if this will help much, but I feel this little fella needs all the help he can get.