PDA

View Full Version : Continuing having trouble growing jungle val after 3 months

#1Plantboy
11-12-2017, 12:35 AM
3 months ago I bought jungle val and put it into my 55 gallon' aquarium. Ever since then, it hasent been taking off with growing and some of the exsposed roots turned black.The substrate that I am using is turface' pro league. I add substrate fertilizing pellets by the jungle and also dose the aquarium coop easy green twice a week. I have a led light that is set to provide 60 par to the substrate and is on for 10 hours a day. I use a pressured c02' system that the c02 is at a concentration of 23ppm.

Any advice on helping the growth of the jungle value would be appreciated.

RiversGirl
11-12-2017, 02:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are having troubles. I hope you might gain some tips to try from other members here who also have this plant.

Are you certain of the variety of vallisneria that you have? I ask because sometimes plants get mislabeled at the store, and I'd like to see you get targeted advice.

Best wishes to you.

Slaphppy7
11-12-2017, 03:28 AM
Pics of the plants may help.

OnTheFly
11-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Not sure I can help but my Jungle Val grows to the top of my 60G in 4-5 weeks, and two of those weeks were acclimation. Sounds like your light is fine. I use inexpensive Aquaneat lights. Better than most inexpensive light but are probably medium light at best. I use NILOCG PPS-Pro dry ferts but your Easy green is a good enough fertilizer for Vals. I use DIY osmocote gel caps in moderation. I would probably increase your root tabs a bit and observe. Mine noticeably responded in under a week to root tabs.

DoubleDutch
11-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Strange the roots get black.
Checked the macros nitrates amd phosfates? I have to pull pounds out every weak.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171112/baa3514e3e04cfd31ac702fd54ae99a9.jpg

Koldham
11-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Do you ever sell the ones you pull?

angelcraze2
11-13-2017, 01:31 AM
Usually black roots mean substrate problems, it's not too compacted is it? Jungle val grows really well and better in nutrient rich soil, but it doesn't even need it really. I do sometimes add those DIY Osmotote gel tabs though. This is very odd. If roots are exposed, I guess they are not planted too deep either. Pictures of your vals would really help if you can get some.

#1Plantboy
11-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Here is a picture of the jungle val54019

BluewaterBoof
11-13-2017, 08:16 PM
I don't have anything constructive to add, just want to share a similar experience I had with jungle vals.

Had them in a 55g. Grew like crazy. Had them all along the back and they would grow so long I could grab the end of one and pull it up out of the water as far as my arm could stretch. Never measured but I would guess they easily hit 5 feet as they would grow longer than the length of the 4' tank.

Then I moved them to a 90g. Took everything out of the 55g and put it in the 90g. Same substrate, same plants and animals, same filtration. Nothing changed except the tank, itself. Over the course of maybe two or three weeks the vals died off. The old growth would melt/break away, and no new leaves sprouted. I pulled some of the vals up to look at their roots and instead of long healthy roots they were short, stringy, and black, like thread. The tank was high-tech, good healthy light, EI dosing, Osmocote tabs, and 30ppm CO2. Everything else grew like crazy, but the vals just faded away. All the research I did stated they were melting due to the shock of being moved, but that the vals would bounce back. That didn't happen. It's been a while so I can't say for sure, but I believe all of my beautiful val were completely gone within three weeks.

Hope you can get yours to bounce back!