PDA

View Full Version : Super simple, too much to hope for?

Koldham
11-06-2017, 03:40 PM
I have a floating breeder box, I am wondering if anyone here thinks I could grow lettuce or basil in it? I have extra bio filter media I would fill it with add the start and let it float. Do I have to pump the water through or is floating around good enough? I know nothing even though I have been reading here and there. I eventually want to do a bigger system outside but right now it is snowy and cold. Thank you from anyone who tells me what they think lol.

Guess I can't edit the subject :(

Slaphppy7
11-06-2017, 03:57 PM
I can change the subject to whatever you wish....

Koldham
11-06-2017, 04:40 PM
I misspelled simple. :)

Slaphppy7
11-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Fixed.............

RiversGirl
11-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Fixed

It's the little things. They count for so much in life. These are appreciated.

OP, I love your project idea! I hope you will try it out. Please do show us, if you decide to move forward with this experiment.

Koldham
11-06-2017, 06:39 PM
I guess if no one knows I will give it a shot, we will see what happens and I will keep you updated. :)

Slaphppy7
11-06-2017, 06:41 PM
I'm just not sure if those particular plants will get all of the nutrients they require from tank water...but certainly can't hurt to try, that I can see

RiversGirl
11-06-2017, 06:48 PM
I think that the basil plant will need good drainage, so perhaps think of another plant that you'd like to try this experiment with.

Which lettuce are you thinking about trying out?

Also (I'm just curious, and so asking you with the hope that my questions might prove helpful to you, as you flesh out your plan)
Are you thinking to start some veggies off in water, with the plan to plant them in dirt containers/garden later? Or do you wish to grow some plants in water and keep them there?

RiversGirl
11-06-2017, 07:01 PM
I've successfully rooted several plants in just water. Kitchen plants among them are

1. green onions and various types of chives (that one might not be a good option for breeder box, as I'm pretty sure it would stink up the tank water)
2. celery -- although you need to elevate this so that it is only partially submerged.

Hmm, I'm drawing a blank but know that there are many more that I've grown in water. Lots of houseplants too.

I've not yet tried food plants (have only done house plants) within an aquarium though, so am excited to watch your experiment.

The thing I would be careful of -- and I'm sure you're already aware -- would be to make certain you lift the entire plant out every so often, checking for any rotting. Also peeking into the box, checking for plant pieces that have fallen off.

Koldham
11-06-2017, 07:18 PM
In all honesty I was wanting butter crunch lettuce but I think it will be to warm, so maybe I will try rosemary or chives maybe both.

Koldham
11-06-2017, 08:37 PM
So after thinking about it I think I shall do a bean plant or two, easy to sprout, if I plant them in there then take them out twice a day and let them drain is that enough or should it be more often? Oh and I want to just grow them in there without transplanting them.

angelcraze2
12-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I missed this thread completely, but there was some conversation lately here about eating veggies (or plants lol) from the tank. I can't provide any help, but I think it's a great idea and I'm curious how your plan is working. I think I'd use an unused plastic suction cup shower soap box and use some kind of medium that doesn't dissolve in water as a substrate for the roots to root in. Or maybe some long trough type plastic pots with suction cups?
Stick the soap box high in the tank so veggies can grow out submerged out of the water.