PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Woe - Javafern edition

NoelFae
09-14-2017, 02:51 AM
So I cannot for the life of me keep my java plants alive. My cycle is 0/0/10-20, ph is usually around 8 and my lights are on 2pm - 11pm and I cut off the dead leaves when they come but it seems like all I'm getting is dead plants all the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or does anybody know any nice fake silk plants I can put in to save my bettas hiding places.

mac
09-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Hmmmm strange strange and strange.

Is yours attached to anything?? Like drift wood rock or decor of some sort?? IME if its just in substrate it won't grow at all.

NoelFae
09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Hmmmm strange strange and strange.

Is yours attached to anything?? Like drift wood rock or decor of some sort?? IME if its just in substrate it won't grow at all.

That...might be my problem ._. How do I attach it to something?

Slaphppy7
09-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Fishing line, cotton thread, even super glue (the gel type)

If you bury the rhizome, it will kill java fern...the rhizome needs to be ABOVE the substrate

The rhizome is the horizontal green stem in this pic, that the vertical stems are growing out of...it's covered in roots

NoelFae
09-14-2017, 01:20 PM
I've typically never buried the rhizomes cause I looked them up before hand, but I'll try attaching them to decorations and see what happens for a while :)

darkmerlin21
09-14-2017, 03:57 PM
I've typically never buried the rhizomes cause I looked them up before hand, but I'll try attaching them to decorations and see what happens for a while :)

Do you mind if I ask how you kept them anchored and upright? If they are not buried in the substrate or tied down, I would think they would just float.

NoelFae
09-14-2017, 03:58 PM
I could bury the roots and leave the rhizomes out and they stayed :X

BluewaterBoof
09-14-2017, 05:18 PM
My java fern plants never grew much until I moved them to spots that get a lot of water flow moving around them. Once I did that, they grew a lot quicker than before. But keep in mind java fern is a very slow-growing plant to begin with. Even in a high-tech tank that gets lots of fertilizer and CO2 injection, my ferns still take a loooooong time compared to my other plants.

mermaidwannabe
09-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Normally, java ferns are low light, low ferts or no ferts, and easy for beginners to grow. Mine grow like crazy. If you aren't burying the rhizome and only the roots are in the substrate, they should do fine. You can tie them, of course, using invisible fishing line, and they should grow out so the tied area is completely hidden. Not sure why yours aren't growing. Do you have adequate current in your tank? Perhaps if you would try just a tiny amount of Seachem's Flourish to get them jump started, they might take off from there.

Here's a method I use for securing rhizome plants without burying the rhizome:

Some fake plants have weighted bases with holes in them through which the stems of the fake plants are attached. I have saved these bases over the years, and when I want to plant a live rhizome plant, I gently tease its roots through the open holes in the bases so the roots come out through the bottom. Then I place the base onto the substrate. The rhizome rests on top of the base and never touches the substrate. The plants root themselves and eventually provide their own anchors. Since these bases are weighted, they will stay put by themselves until the roots grow into the substrate and further secure them.

Another possibility for lack of growth is if your tank is overcrowded with live plants and there aren't enough nutrients to go around. If that's the case, try thinning out your aquatic garden a bit to leave more room for growth. Plants in terrestrial gardens need adequate space to grow and mature, and I would imagine the same holds true for aquatic plants. Otherwise, they'll be stunted.

When you first unpack your java ferns after bringing them home, are you careful to not break off too many roots? That can kill a plant, too.

I'm not sure the reasons in your case, but maybe some of these suggestions will help.

NoelFae
10-07-2017, 02:25 AM
While I still havenít yet I am going to give some of these a try, but I wanted to ask would the plants grow in a tank without a fish?

I have a 5.5 with an LED light lid thatís sitting around, could I put the plants in there to try and get them jump started by themselves since theyíre deaths are causing issues in the tank with my betta?

The only thing is that I donít have a filter or anything for the 5.5, would the plants be fine without or no?

mermaidwannabe
10-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Transplanting from one tank to another is always risky. If you're careful, and the plant is hearty, it should be fine. Just be careful not to break off too many roots in the transplantation process.

NoelFae
10-16-2017, 03:26 AM
So because of my new fish addition my plan to put the plants in a separate tank died haha

I did tie them to deco tho and I got seachem flourish and Iím putting a bit of that in every day :X weíll see what happens lol

NoelFae
10-16-2017, 04:16 PM
In further reading of the flourish it just goes in once a week >_> so Iíll stop putting it in now haha