PDA

View Full Version : am i over stocking?

sauerkraut
09-03-2017, 09:41 PM
hello! i have one rose petal male betta named hanamura, he has been in a community tank with a sailfin lyretail mollie, two guppies, three zebra danios, a pagota snail and a cory cat. all have died except the zebra danios and pagota snail and hanamura was shy if anything else in the community so i know he is compatible. i have taken hanamura out because the female zebra danio started to fin nip so i had housed my betta in a bowl ( i know it was bad but i didn't have any room for another aquarium) i have a 2.5 gal that i used to house my mexican cray since someone told me they eat fish (blush) but he got a new home, and now hanamura is living in the 2.5 gal. i would like to have something else in the tank beside hanamura. i have a pagoda snail that i would like to house with him, i have been looking neon yellow shrimp or bloody mary shrimp ( i dont like the look much of ghost shrimp) i originally wanted to put a cory cat in but i read it would be overstocking. would the snail betta and (preferably 2/3 shrip) be okay? i cant go any higher on tank size for a while now. i dont want any stress on any of the animals. also if i can keep the shrimp i would be grateful to any colorful recommendations i like the red and white striped ones as well. thank you so much for your responses!:fish:

Boundava
09-03-2017, 10:27 PM
If I'm reading you correct you trying to put all of these fish in the two and a half gallon tank? A two and a half gallon tank isn't big enough for a Betta let alone all the fish and snails you're trying to cram into it. Aveda needs at least a five and a half gallon tank a 10 gallon tank is a really nice size for them because they're very inquisitive fish. You're not doing yourself any favors by trying to Overstock a small tank. Have you cycled your tank yet or you just putting fish into a brand new tank. If you haven't cycled your tank that would be why all of your fish died except for the danios.

I would not recommend putting anything other than if you're going to house him the betta and the two and a half gallon tank don't put any shrimp in with him or the snail. Even if you're a betta is nice to community fish he will more than likely consider your shrimp a tasty snack. Also the red and white shrimp are called bee or crystal shrimp and have very different water parameters that they need to have so they will not be housed with your Betta. I would really try to do a lot more research before you get any other fish. Some fish need certain community conditions, like Cory cats need to be housed in groups of at least six some even eight.

sauerkraut
09-03-2017, 10:40 PM
the tank i have the danios in is a 24 gal that was cycled and i did do water tests on it and everything was fine im keeping the danios in that tank permanently, and the 2.5 gallon is cycled as well but i was wondering if i could put some shrimp in with the betta in the 2.5 gallon? since the shrimp wont be in his swimming space much... i am working on getting a 10 gallon at the moment but it may not happen for some time

Boundava
09-04-2017, 12:16 AM
No I would not, the 2.5 gallon is tight for a betta-don't add shrimp. Wait till you get a bigger tank then move the betta and use the smaller for shrimp. Some have luck with shrimp and betas-but of the 6 past bettas I have had, they have all made expensive meals of my neocaridina shrimp-they will ignore the ghost/grass/glass shrimp.

Sorry for the bad first response typos-I was on the phone and missed the edit window.

sauerkraut
09-04-2017, 02:10 AM
okay! thanks so much!

Boundava
09-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Goodluck to you and your betta.