PDA

View Full Version : I Love Surprises

SueD
08-31-2017, 03:51 PM
One of my 20L tanks was so overgrown, I took out the driftwood and thinned the java fern, moved some crypts around and moved a couple out to another tank, and found a nice clump of anubias on a small piece of wood I forgot was in there. This opened a little space on the right side and I now can see (occasionally, but more often) some of the green neons and dwarf pencilfish that liked to hide in the back of the tank, along with the 3 Kerri tetras still in there, 3 duplicareus cories and RCS.

But then I found this guy doing the cory dance up the side of the tank - a baby duplicareus. It was hard to film him but hopefully you can judge his size by the assassins nearby. I wouldn't call him a fry any longer, but still just a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGpMETnflIk&feature=em-upload_owner

Slaphppy7
08-31-2017, 04:02 PM
Very cool, congrats on the new cory.

BluewaterBoof
08-31-2017, 05:11 PM
What an awesome little surprise! :19:

Boundava
08-31-2017, 05:14 PM
I agree-great surprise! Must have been the plants that hid the egg and the fry and let him be.

Silbar
08-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Such a cute and wonderful little surprise!!!! He looks very happy.

RiversGirl
08-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Awesome find! Congrats to you! What a cutie.

darkmerlin21
08-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Awww.. so cute! The best surprise for sure!

angelcraze2
08-31-2017, 06:02 PM
That's awesome Sue! And a baby Dupe to boot!
Congrats, nice find and tx for sharing :)

Fish & Bird Kid
08-31-2017, 06:11 PM
I wish I'd known that you love surprises! I ALMOST stopped by for a visit a couple weeks ago.

SueD
08-31-2017, 10:49 PM
I agree-great surprise! Must have been the plants that hid the egg and the fry and let him be.

Yes, I think this also. It's still a bit of a jungle so maybe, just maybe, it could happen again.

SueD
08-31-2017, 10:56 PM
I wish I'd known that you love surprises! I ALMOST stopped by for a visit a couple weeks ago.

:laugh1blue:

angelcraze2
08-31-2017, 11:34 PM
Do you ever see cory eggs on your glass? Look for them! They can be removed with a razor and hatched seperately. I had a big batch of orange laser cories babies, 24 of them, I got the eggs from a friend's tank. Lol, the eggs hatched in the bag on the way home :)

Dupes are my favorite cory, I really hope you find more babies :)

SueD
09-01-2017, 12:26 AM
I never did see any eggs, although I wasn't really looking. These cories have been in the tank for 3 years. The only things I saw on a regular basis were my endlers (like puppies at the front of the tank all the time), the shrimp and snails (lots). The other fish stayed hidden so I got a glance from a distance when they thought I wasn't looking :ssmile:. Here's a pic before the trim - I wasn't sure what all was even still in there. It's still quite dense, but a little better. Will probably not trim too much more and see if anything else appears.

I seem to be getting a bacteria bloom now so I haven't taken an after picture (not sure you'd see much difference). Should I just wait this out or is there something I should be doing? Maybe I cleaned things a little too well? I even added a new purigen packet but that shouldn't have done anything.

Before the "thinning"

angelcraze2
09-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Dose some Prime maybe in case there's any ammonia that pops up.

I've used good bacteria products to help with mini-cycles in the past, but I think all you have to do is make sure the ammonia is non-toxic and wait it out. If you have filter media from another tank, I would add that.

Nice tank Sue! Great plant growth :) I bet if you look more carefully, you'll find eggs on the glass. Give it a week or two :) No room on the bottom to lay eggs there!

Spardas
09-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Look at that lush jungle, lol. Also, nice find on the baby cory. I love finding surprises in the tank myself.

SueD
09-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Fortunately, the bacterial bloom or whatever it was is gone. Tank has cleared up. BUT...looks like my iPhone is now dead - just dead. Is everything on there lost now? It was at 100% charged as I replanted a couple of crypts that came loose, then dead when I went to take a pic. Camera to the rescue. Here's an after pic, snails and all.

Taurus
09-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Hey Sue, see this and note instructions at reboot:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/apple-iphone-6/6088/how-fix-dead-iphone-tips-and-tricks-resurrecting-your-iphone

SueD
09-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Hey Sue, see this and note instructions at reboot:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/apple-iphone-6/6088/how-fix-dead-iphone-tips-and-tricks-resurrecting-your-iphone

Thank you so much. Since my phone was just a black screen, I tried the suggestion in the reboot section of holding down the home button along with the sleep/wake button. I didn't get either the red slider or the apple logo as stated, just the dead battery symbol, which quickly faded back to the black screen. BUT, this apparently did reboot something. I decided to just leave it on the charger for the night and I now see that the full screen has come back with the charging symbol where it's supposed to be. Again, thanks so much - you might have saved me a trip to the Apple store. I'll see if the charge holds. I know it was charged fully earlier today.

William
09-02-2017, 04:08 AM
Congrats on your baby. Always fun to find one you didn't expect