PDA

View Full Version : Help Sick Convict

cichlid22c
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
my male convict has this bulge under his gills that has white/red sores that flower out of it. What kind of medicine can I get for him or what can I do for him. Sorry No Pics.

cocoa_pleco
12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
add salt and meds, and keep the water clean

cichlid22c
12-04-2007, 01:18 AM
what kind meds .he is currtly in a 30g w/ female and fry.i have tried traeting him before e.m. erthromycin and quick cure together it helped al ittle but it did not go away completely

cocoa_pleco
12-04-2007, 01:26 AM
try salt first, and if it progresses even more use a anti-bacterial med

cichlid22c
12-04-2007, 01:39 AM
i use cichlid salts for the hardness of water and powdered 8.2 ph .the bbs ive been feeding the fry have aquarium salts in the water put in the tank

cichlid22c
12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
came home from work today and he was dead he was starting to get better but last night he was just sitting on the bottom breathing hard and not moving around and not resonding to me moving my hand in front of him one of my lfs has another about the same size for $8.00 i might get him but i will have wait because there is fry in the tank that him and female were in

Pr0eve
12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Sorry about your lost, over all I think you should leave your ph to what ever your tap water is. this will have less stress on your fish. also make sure that you test your water weekly with a test kit. ph, am, rites, and rates. also do a weekly 25% water change. powering your ph up or down can make your fish stress out which in turn can cause them to be come sick. I would wait until you can get your water and the other fish in that tank stable before you add any new fish.

over medicating your fish will also make them sick, you also have to remove the medication once your done healing your fish as well.( normally this goes in a 4 day cycle but this still needs a 25% water change before you can re dose the tank) you can do this by putting in a active carbon filter for a few days. you have to remove the active carbon filter from your tank when you do add meds to the tank...

also the salt the poster was talking about is non Iodide salt like kosher salt and the ratio is like 1 teaspoon per 20 gallon " DO NOT USE TABLE SALT" table salt will kill your fish. I do not remember if the ratio is right, you need to look it up. but a lot of stuff can be cured with salt.

cichlid22c
12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
thanx my tap water ph is 7.2 i just tested it my pool ph kit is that the same as an aquarium ph kit? what is the best ph and the hardness for convicts my malawi lake salts says i can use it on convict and some other new would cichlids and where can i get non iodine salt

Pr0eve
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
thanx my tap water ph is 7.2 i just tested it my pool ph kit is that the same as an aquarium ph kit? what is the best ph and the hardness for convicts my malawi lake salts says i can use it on convict and some other new would cichlids and where can i get non iodine salt

I would use a test kit made for fish tanks just to be safe, I mean ph is ph but the test kit for tank are more isolated, it is not a bunch of test pads on a paper stick, know what I mean? API makes a fresh water test kit there at you LFS.

Kosher salt is non iodine salt, it come in a blue box at the food store. just ask for it..

I have had convicts and other Cichlids off and on for years, I never used Cichild salt, and I never lost a fish. the only fish I seem to lose are Neons, damn little bastard lol.

this is how I set up my tank, this is info only..

I put in my UGF, with about .5 in of fiber filter covering the top of that. them 2 in or so of gravel
I fill up the tank, and plug in every thing, power heads heater, lights,
I let it sit for a week to let the chlorine evaporate, then I sick some Danio in and start the cycle. read cycling in the how to's

I make sure the heater temp is set right and away I go. treat for ICK and fungues if needed. works for me..

no special salts and or ph. levels, besides fish are better if you leave them to the natural PH of your tap water, like I said before it is easier on the fish.

PH levels are best at 8.0 or so for Cichlids, I am lucky, my water is 7.6 out of the tap. and it goes up to 8.0 on its own in the tank...

cichlid22c
12-19-2007, 02:07 AM
i just used the pool ph to test the tap water today idont use it in the tanks i was using strip but im going to to the liquid