PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shrimp are these???

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
i was searching the internet looking for some col shrimp and i came across these and would like to know what they are. Thanks.

http://www.mosswall.com/Picture/HW/Shrimp/shrimpHut.jpg

P.S.
follow the link.

Fishalicious
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
They are Crystal Red Shrimp - or in your case expensive food for dwarf puffers :ezpi_wink1:

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 08:18 PM
darn it.....well after doing a little bit of research they also say that they are called bumble bee shrimp????

what would the min size of tank be for 6??

Tolley
12-03-2007, 08:18 PM
bumblebee shrimp?

Edit: yeh agreed but sorry i know nothing bout them.

Azear
12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Crystal red shrimps... Very expensive food for puffer ^_^... lol... still, ask Caf bout it, he managed to breed some... but wasn't easy :P

good luck Squirt :P

Btw, I'd go for some ghost shrimps to clean up the mess of your puffer... they're cheap and can do a fairly good clean-up job :P

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
well i don't know if i would put them in with my puffers or not because i might be getting a 5g to breed my bettas in so i was thinking that i could put them in there???

but they say that they need live plants??? do they NEED live plants??? i could have algae ready for them in there. yes??? no???

Tolley
12-03-2007, 08:27 PM
you could always get some java moss, heard they love it. and its easy to grow

Fishalicious
12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Bumblebee shrimp are black or brown and white striped - crystal red are red and white striped ;)

They loooove java moss - moss balls - any kind of moss actually they will hang around in it all day...shrimp are not too fussy and love all plants

Once you get a few and breed them you can test them with your dwarf puffers... some will ignore them... I have cherry red's and they breed worse than rabbits here so I thought to get rid by feeding the puffers - they nibbled at a few but I don't think they enjoyed the taste so the rest they left in peace now and again I would find a dead one... not sure the shrimp enjoy being in there with them though...

I know of a lot of friends who have tried it though with smaller shrimp and it has not worked...

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
ok...well the thing is...no one around here sells and kind of moss plant. So that could be a problem. I would order it inline or something but the folks wont let me.

i think that i will get my 5g (which btw would have a bare bottom) and just use it to breed my bettas and maybe i will get some shrimp and see how it works out.

EDIT- will bettas hurt the shrimp at all????

Fishalicious
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Smaller Shrimp are also seen as lunch by adult betta's....

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 10:13 PM
uuugggggg.....this sucks....i think i need to buy another 10g and make it a shrimp and snail only tank.

blu
12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
If you put some in with the bettas just be cautious. If they do well with other fish your bettas may be ok with them to. But with bettas dont go by the size of the shrimp...if they want to they will eat them regardless of size.

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 11:08 PM
well i have had amano shrimp in wi th my bettas and they did fine....but they are bigger (the amano shrimp)
i might try but the bumble bee shrimp arn't cheap.