PDA

View Full Version : Crypt melt

sfsamm
08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
So I've had this particular crypt since I started up my tanks here, probably just about a year maybe a bit longer or less... It's always done phenomenally for me. Ever since putting it in the shrimp tank it's melting and will not stop. It's slow but constant melt. It's always been in this tank and it's been through three complete remodels (never-ending diatoms, finally realized silicate in the water) including substrate changes. This last time though it's never exactly recovered. Melt and pin holes are constant. I have another crypt in the tank much newer and was split out as far as I could that is absolutely thriving. The new one never melted and after a couple months I even still have a couple leaves from being emerged remaining. But my old one is, I believe, slowly dying. Does one have to occasionally pull and split up a crypt? It's the only thing I can think to do but I don't dare if it's not necessary.

It's in my shrimp tank and planted in flourite black sand so I worry that the mess from pulling it will bother or kill shrimp. It's already doing poorly so I don't want to kill it in some vain attempt to save it. I gave it a root tab about a month ago (never had them before) thinking it may be a deficiency of some sort. And I actually split the tab and put half on each side. I gave the new ones tabs too and they immediately took off even stronger but the old one has made no improvement. Any ideas?

Slaphppy7
08-02-2017, 03:54 PM
I would just leave it alone and wait and see what happens.