PDA

View Full Version : New abused addition

Law Dog
07-27-2017, 09:39 PM
I was at my LFS Tuesday to buy an adult angelfish I had seen there last Friday. My luck, it was already sold. I was about to leave when I glanced down at the medium size angelfish and noticed a large one in the tank. I walked over to one of the owners to inquire as to why a 5" bodied fish was in there and I was told it was a trade in from 3 weeks ago but was constantly being bullied by the other larger fish in the upper tank so it was moved. He proceeded to tell me he would sell it to me for $10 as he knows how well I take care of my tanks. Needless to say I took her home even though she looked like she had been in a street brawl (my wife named her the "ugly duckling").

So far she's already showing signs of healing, but has yet to be seen eating. She does show interest in food but backs away from it when another fish swims over. I'm hoping her fins continue to heal as they're about 1/2 gone, especially the dorsal.

William
07-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Well done. I bet he will be okay in no time. He is likely afraid of the other fish as he used to be beaten up.

Slaphppy7
07-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Well done indeed, THANKS for the rescue of any fish or animal, to all here.

He/she will hopefully heal up in no time under your care.

waylon101
07-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Good! It should be thriving in no time :)

Law Dog
07-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Does anyone think I should be concerned about the slightly bloated belly? I was told that they had just fed that side of the tanks in the store 1hr before I bought it, but it's only gone down slightly in 3 days. Not to memtion it won't eat still. It will take food into it's mouth for a few seconds, act like it's chewing it then spit the food out.

Law Dog
07-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Good news! He/she seems to settling in nicely. Today was the 1st time it actually ate food and didn't spit it out. Still a little skiddish but getting better.

AmazonJoe
07-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Nice addition good luck on her recovery! thumbs2:

AmazonJoe
07-29-2017, 10:15 PM
Does anyone think I should be concerned about the slightly bloated belly? I was told that they had just fed that side of the tanks in the store 1hr before I bought it, but it's only gone down slightly in 3 days. Not to memtion it won't eat still. It will take food into it's mouth for a few seconds, act like it's chewing it then spit the food out.

That is normal to mouth food in the beginning of going to a new tank should start eating no problem. Haha NVM just read above were it did start eating and not spit it out...

Law Dog
08-05-2017, 03:41 PM
The new Angelfish is healing up nicely. Pectoral fins are totally healed as well as the tailfin. Now to wait on the dorsal fin to grow back.

Slaphppy7
08-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Good news, lucky to be rescued

RiversGirl
08-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Good news! He/she seems to settling in nicely. Today was the 1st time it actually ate food and didn't spit it out. Still a little skiddish but getting better.

I'm so glad she is healing! She is very fortunate that you happened to spot her, inquire after her, and were willing to provide her a nice home. Well done of you!

angelcraze2
10-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Good job for sure, being so patient and getting her to eat! What a beautiful angel :) I can see her dorsal fin is already healing, sealing together. Thanks so much for saving this gorgeous angelfish.

Slaphppy7
10-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Been a few months since we heard from LD on this thread, hope all is well

Law Dog
03-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Been a few months since we heard from LD on this thread, hope all is well

Sorry Slap, been super busy with life. Both boys played fall baseball and the went right into wrestling season. My oldest made the middle school wrestling team and went 7-4 on the season, and placed 5th in regionals for his weight class. Not too bad for being a 6th grader wrestling 7th & 8th graders!

Anyway, things are going good now with the "new abused addition". The first month was great and everything healed up nice, but then the bullying started in my tank. I have a fully grown Koi Angel and for whatever reason it painted a bullseye on the new adult. I did notice after weeks of watching that the aggression was mainly right after feeding. I changed the feeding time of the tank to just before lights out and it seems to have worked for the most part. I'll have to get some newer pics up soon.

angelcraze2
03-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Nice! You were able to make it work out between the two angels? Cudos! I have never tried. Only two angels in the tank? Yeah, it's always tricky to add another angelfish to a tank with original angels. I'm glad you were able to calm them down. Also moving decor around so that the angelfish have to stake out new territory can help, or sometimes when my angels are feisty and I'm in a jam, I'll add a tall fake plant (even placed upside-down hanging from the top) to provide a space for the angels to hide, block line of sight and separate territory. My pairs don't always get along...when I add the fake plant the aggressor angel is more interested in the new decor and distracted from going after their partner (usually the male is chasing the female).

Slaphppy7
03-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Sorry Slap, been super busy with life. Both boys played fall baseball and the went right into wrestling season. My oldest made the middle school wrestling team and went 7-4 on the season, and placed 5th in regionals for his weight class. Not too bad for being a 6th grader wrestling 7th & 8th graders!

Anyway, things are going good now with the "new abused addition". The first month was great and everything healed up nice, but then the bullying started in my tank. I have a fully grown Koi Angel and for whatever reason it painted a bullseye on the new adult. I did notice after weeks of watching that the aggression was mainly right after feeding. I changed the feeding time of the tank to just before lights out and it seems to have worked for the most part. I'll have to get some newer pics up soon.

Good to hear from you again, and congrats to your oldest son!...glad to hear the fish are doing good, too

waylon101
03-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Glad to hear all is well Law Dog thumbs2:

Riyadh
03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
thats awesome, well done!!!!!!
are you gonna pair it?

Law Dog
03-20-2018, 12:55 AM
thats awesome, well done!!!!!!
are you gonna pair it?

Probably not as it's not that great of a specimen. The only reason I picked it up was because it had been moved to a tank with very small tank mates. For some reason this Angelfish is very timid and won't defend itself at all.

Law Dog
03-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Nice! You were able to make it work out between the two angels? Cudos! I have never tried. Only two angels in the tank? Yeah, it's always tricky to add another angelfish to a tank with original angels. I'm glad you were able to calm them down. Also moving decor around so that the angelfish have to stake out new territory can help, or sometimes when my angels are feisty and I'm in a jam, I'll add a tall fake plant (even placed upside-down hanging from the top) to provide a space for the angels to hide, block line of sight and separate territory. My pairs don't always get along...when I add the fake plant the aggressor angel is more interested in the new decor and distracted from going after their partner (usually the male is chasing the female).

Yes, for now they seem to be OK and have been for over 1 month now. The adult Koi Angel will occasionally chase it to one side of the tank but not nearly as brutal as before. I have 2 other
Angels in the tank but they're only about 1/2 grown. I can start to see some aggressive behavior out of one of them though. I hope it doesn't get worse or I may have to make a decision on what to do with the timid one.

I have plenty of live plants in there and my Vals have taken over the bank of the tank now. I still have the giant rock in there and that's where the timid Angel goes to get away from aggression. I never thought I'd see an Angel go into the cave part of that rock as they have to turn sideways to get in there, lol.

I've still been unable to sex the 2 adult Angels. Either I don't know what I'm looking at or it's more difficult then I thought, lol.

Riyadh
03-20-2018, 08:16 AM
It could be those adults are male and female. They get aggressive when breeding, well at least in my experience. Angels are most of the time docile but when they start breeding they get very aggressive.

angelcraze2
03-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Yes for sure, they become aggressive when they are about to lay eggs. When there are other fish in the tank, it's noticeable when you have a pair, they will work together to push the other fish to the opposite side of the spawning site. They will often swim side by side and start picking at an area, cleaning it to lay eggs on. My pairs who are alone fight on occasion, but it's mostly a disagreement once the eggs are laid. A new pair might be more inclined to lip-lock and test eachother's parental strengths. If one parent is an egg-eater, the other angel will fight hard to keep that parent away. Sometimes they allow the egg-eater back in an hour or so.

But I've also had two angels together who did not get along. When I was trying to find a mate for my first angelfish ever, I added an adult from the LFS, the new angel was so aggressive, it split my angel's dorsal fin all the way down. They were also probably in a tank that was on the small side, but it was obvious I couldn't keep those two together. Occasional pushing and hiding is normal, but if one is pinning the other against the glass, or hiding all the time, that is reason to get involved. With 4 angelfish in the tank, you are spreading the aggression, I think it's a much better idea if the two you already have are not breeding.

angelcraze2
03-20-2018, 06:18 PM
https://youtu.be/BWTQ3JDmTno

Here's a vid I shot last night, I sped it up 2x to make the vid shorter and get the point across. The gold pearlscale and big platinum are a breeding pair just moved into the 120g from a breeder tank. Notice how they work together and swim alongside eachother and peck at the vallisneria leaves.