PDA

View Full Version : Update for POTM [Important to Read.]

mac
07-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

The POTM is getting a small adjustment for now.

Whats new for POTM is,

1. Submissions
2. Voting
3. Winner announcement

Will all be held in thePhoto Section (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=112).

4. Winner Movement.

This is the only thing which will confuse a few people, but is not actually overly important.
Once the winner has been Announced and shown they thread will stay in the Photo section till the end of the month.
Then it will be shifted to the Correct location in POTM sub forum for proper storage.

I have done no changeing regarding IMAGE sizes.
When images are submitted they must be no more than 800 pixels wide. Photographs can be less than 800 pixels wide.

To submit Images a link will be dropped into each "POTM submission thread" for every one participating to click on and email the image.
Please note I want Forum user name in the email so I can keep track of the Images properly.
Also Please pm me [mac] so that I can be sure I have recived all emails.

Voting will be the same as normal. Link with the rules will be Posted when the "POTM Voting Open'' is posted.

Thank you,

mac

mermaidwannabe
07-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Just to be clear, you won't accept pictures that are more OR less than 800 pixels? In otherwords, they have to be exactly 800 pixels? No bigger and no smaller? Does that apply only to their width, or to their vertical height, as well?

BluewaterBoof
07-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that part confused me as well.

mac
07-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Just to be clear, you won't accept pictures that are more OR less than 800 pixels? In otherwords, they have to be exactly 800 pixels? No bigger and no smaller? Does that apply only to their width, or to their vertical height, as well?

Hey Mermaidwannabe,

Thank you for pointing that out to me:22:
It completly slipped my mind.

At this stage I was thinking of 800x800 Pixels for the image size. Keeps them the same and easy for viewing on line.
Any thoughts?? Nothing to change this over, to suit.

mermaidwannabe
07-15-2017, 11:51 PM
In my opinion, insisting that they all be exactly the same size is a little rigid. I can understand not wanting them bigger than 800 pixels, but I feel that smaller photos should also be allowed, as long as they aren't too small. Obviously, we don't want thumbnails, but some pics might compose better or crop better if their width and height could be allowed to vary. Some compositions might not lend themselves that well to being totally square. But, you're in charge of the competitions, so you make the rules. I just think the sizing should be a little more flexible.

When photos are taken, sometimes one turns the camera vertically to do more justice to a taller or thinner subject, and other times the composition fits better in a horizontal orientation. To have them sized so they're all completely square could in some cases diminish the visual appeal.

Those are my thoughts on it. You did ask for input.

mac
07-16-2017, 12:05 AM
Hmmm i can understand your thoughts on that. And am open for the ideas.

The issue why i decided to get ridged with the rules at this stage came from the last round which failed.

There were a lot of complaints about photo sizes and quality due to the sizes.

Ie tall ones and square ones. This lead to images not been seen to well apparently. Though on my browser on laptop phone and tv all images seemed perfect to me.

Hence why i though make all images the same.

mac
07-18-2017, 08:23 AM
I have decided to lax the rules this time and see what happens with the status quo.