PDA

View Full Version : Is my java fern multiplying?

crazydragonlady
07-09-2017, 03:35 AM
There is what looks like a small plant with roots growing on the fron of my fern. Is it supposed to be attached like that?

Brhino
07-09-2017, 04:44 AM
yup, that's one of the ways they propagate. The rhizome will grow, but they'll also make babies this way. If you leave it alone eventually it'll detach, or you can pluck it off yourself.

RiversGirl
07-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Congrats on your new plantlet. Java Fern looks really nice growing in clusters, imo. You get to determine how you want your tank to look, and plants are a wonderful tool to do just that.
As one example:
If you have a piece of dw that you'd like to see planted, tie it off to a part of it. If you use 100% cotton thread, the tie will dissolve on its own so you won't need to remove it later. The new plant will root itself to dw within that timeframe. Then the plant will likely spread out -- along the flow -- rooting itself over the wood. Just be mindful of the rhizome and don't bury it in the substrate.

Have fun with this!

mermaidwannabe
07-13-2017, 06:47 PM
You can also tie it with transparent fishing line which would be less visible than cotton thread. Just don't tie the plant too tightly -- just enough to hold in in place where you want it, but not enough to crush it. I've used fishing line when tying all of mine. Can't even tell it's there.

I've also seen advertised, recently, spools of transparent thread. I've seen these being sold in some of the mail order catalogs I get. Transparent thread would be a great way to tie your plants without it showing.