PDA

View Full Version : Corydora versus the plants

MattE64
06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
So I have a moderately planted tank and some julii Cories, well every morning I wake up to floating plants, my tiger lotus isn't getting a chance to root, nor are my bacopa. It is actually stunting the growth of my lotus. Anyone else have problems with cories uprooting plants?

Boundava
06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I have a tank of corys, kuhli and dojo loaches as well as one large BN pleco. I attempted to switch to stem plants and over $50 worth of plants were trashed because they could not be left alone. Try putitng a river rock or two around the lotus until it roots. as for the bacopa-you may just have to root it by floating and then bury it later when it has a larger root system. I have all rooted or bulb plants now (crypts, apanos, swords, anubias, tiger lotus, and bolbitis) -doesn't say they don't uproot some smaller plants regularly-but its a lot less than before with the stem plants. Matter of fact the BN just uprooted two of my smaller swordplants and ate the roots on it. Was a bit ticked off at that one.

MChambers
06-29-2017, 04:06 PM
I have planted tanks with corydoras and don't have any problem, although I don't have any bacopa. Vals, cabomba, dwarf sag, nymphae, ludwigia, etc.

MattE64
06-29-2017, 04:19 PM
My crypts are mature and rooted and never get ripped out nor do my hygrophila with massive roots. I'm surprised my bacopa is uprooted as it is the species that looks like cabomba aquatics. I'm getting frustrated with the lotus because it is throwing out tons of roots but is getting beat up by the cories

Boundava
06-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Try the river rocks on the surface until it becomes more secure.

BluewaterBoof
06-29-2017, 04:42 PM
I have had cories in every one of my planted tanks, never had a problem.

You could try gluing your plant(s) to some small pebbles using gel Krazy Glue. That will keep them from floating until they've had a chance to establish some good roots.

MattE64
06-29-2017, 04:44 PM
I'll try the rock ideas! All
My rooted plants seem to stay put so hopefully when they throw out roots I'll be good

Boundava
06-29-2017, 04:58 PM
I think once it gets a chance to grow without being disturbed it will be fine too.