PDA

View Full Version : GOLD SEVERUM breeding HELP

shotdead42
12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Hey, u guys i'm having trouble finding whitch ones of my gold severums are male or female.
This is a picture of the 1st severum
As i can see on this one theres a lump on he/she and a big tummy
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/618/picture006lb8.jpg

Heres one of the 2nd severum
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9762/picture007ta1.jpg
This ones achually smaller then the 1st one
Please help me i really wanna breed them!!
i had them for more than 1 year prob like 1.5 years so far
The guy at the store told me they were 1 male and 1 female, but i'm dont believe him
THANK U!!!!!!!

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I have no severums so making a wild guess. Others will jump in.

Generally the females are smaller. The males are more brightly colored so I would think your first is a male with second female. Beautiful severums BTW and I also am planning on some golds.

It may get right down to the nitty-gritty of seeing their breeding tubes before you can sex them but I think I have it correct.

squirt_12
12-03-2007, 01:29 AM
well i am just taking a wild guess but i think that you do have a pair because if you look at their tails.

In the first pic the severum has a somewhat straight edge at the end of the tail.
In the second pic the severum has a 'U' shape to it's tail.

so thats what i am going by.

I know that this applies to the kribensis BUT the kribs had different tail shapes.

i am not 100% (not even 50% sure) on this.

someone who knows more about severums will help you along.

EDIT- google 'breeding gold severums' or 'sexing gold severums' and it might give you some help. Just an idea. thats what i do when i am not sure. lol.

Fishalicious
12-03-2007, 01:48 AM
They are notoriously hard to sex unless they actually spawn which is the reason many people start with 6 until they find a pair that match up.

Even if you do have a male and a female they are very 'picky' when it comes to partners so may never spawn together.

Males usually have longer fins but there is no 100% guarantee unless spawning happens...

Sorry not much help.... LOL

shotdead42
12-03-2007, 02:13 AM
hmmm aalright thanks you guys i'm just going to keep looking, but the 1st one is bigger but has little stripes. Less stripes are suppose to be females, it doesnt make any sense. ehh ill see what other people say
PS
Lady Hobbs good luck on getting golds, They are really nice and pretty
Thanks

abdd003
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Many ways are recorded of identifying the sex of severums of which none seem to be 100%. I have breeding green severums where the female fins were chewed up and recovered and are longer than the male's fins. My female has a smooth - can I call it - "upper nose" where the male is spotted to lined. I know this is the case because I have actually seen the female laying egg ranging from 1 to 4 on a swim over the site. I have other green, gold and red spotted which appear to have similar differences to those in the literature which I have not yet been able to verify. The hollowed or U-shaped tail fin referred to by a previous reader is probably misleading as this is definitely the position of the fin in the photo in a swimming motion. I have noticed another difference that I have not been able to verify, but all my seemingly females show similar markings, even when under half an inch. The severums change colour depending on light and background colours in the tank. By changing these coditions, try and get them to become lighter in colour - the lines of the severum will become less distinct but in my opinion, towards the tail there is one line which does not lighten as much and leaves a very distinct dark spot on the top of the line possibly into the fin and if looked at carefully, there is also a dark spot on the bottom of the line. None of my supposedly males show this marking. This also seems to be true for the red spotted - gold's are very difficult to see this due to their light colour to start with. Hope this can help others or maybe others can conirm if this is correct---David

abdd003
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Many ways are recorded of identifying the sex of severums of which none seem to be 100%. I have breeding green severums where the female fins were chewed up and recovered and are longer than the male's fins. My female has a smooth - can I call it - "upper nose" where the male is spotted to lined. I know this is the case because I have actually seen the female laying egg ranging from 1 to 4 on a swim over the site. I have other green, gold and red spotted which appear to have similar differences to those in the literature which I have not yet been able to verify. The hollowed or U-shaped tail fin referred to by a previous reader is probably misleading as this is definitely the position of the fin in the photo in a swimming motion. I have noticed another difference that I have not been able to verify, but all my seemingly females show similar markings, even when under half an inch. The severums change colour depending on light and background colours in the tank. By changing these coditions, try and get them to become lighter in colour - the lines of the severum will become less distinct but in my opinion, towards the tail there is one line which does not lighten as much and leaves a very distinct dark spot on the top of the line possibly into the fin and if looked at carefully, there is also a dark spot on the bottom of the line. None of my supposedly males show this marking. This also seems to be true for the red spotted - gold's are very difficult to see this due to their light colour to start with. Hope this can help others or maybe others can conirm if this is correct---David

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
They look like the same sex to me. Hard to tell whether its male or female, since theres nothing to compare it to, but one of the best ways to sex sevs ive read is to look at the dots near the head/mouth males have a lot of them and they are darker than the females. Both of them look pretty much the same so i suspect the sex is the same.

To me, if they are different sexes i would say the male is in the first pic.

I love the Gold variation the best as well!

sdpraveen
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
they both are male.
as u can see males r brightly coloured and females r not so dark coloured . it dos not matter which one is big or small . it depends upon then colour

*Sarah*
03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Hmm, i'd read somewhere that males have more pointed fins than females, not sure if that helps. I have a green and a gold severum, and I'm pretty sure my gold is a female and my green is a male...green's fins are very pointed, and yellow's not so much. Oh and my gold isn't as brightly coloured as your two, which also leads me to believe I have a female yellow. "she" never gets the bright orange spots that yours have.

Crispy
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
IME, the male severums have longer fins and more spotty flanks then the females. I found females to be 'rounder' and males a bit 'longer' also.

Demjor19
03-05-2009, 11:26 PM
They are both male.

*Sarah*
03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Here is a pic of mine, which, compared to yours looks like a female.
http://i41.tinypic.com/24x3zh5.jpg

btate617
03-06-2009, 12:25 AM
This is a 3 month old thread...... but the original poster has 2 males while the last picture put up is a female.

Brian

oilguybrad
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi, Your fish look to be both males. The top fin reaches to the back fin or beyond, The female dorsil fin doesn't go that far to the tail fin. I have a golden severum and 2 green severums. My gold male is now breeding like crazy with the female green one. they have breed twice in the last month!!:fish:

Cliff
12-08-2011, 02:50 PM
This thread is 4 years old, I'm sure the OP has got the info they were looking for.

Please give the dates a quick double check before posting

Thanks