PDA

View Full Version : Jana's newbie fish hacks

jana
06-19-2017, 12:06 AM
Jana's newbie fish hacks are tips I have learned along the way in the fish hobby.

HOT TIP: New tanks are more susceptible to brown diatom growth. This is especially true when the temp is raised to 82 or 83 F to help with growing the BBs. When the tank is cycled, turning back to long term temp of 77 or 78 F will help to control diatom growth. Water fertilization will also contribute to diatom growth. Careful measuring will make the most of fertilizer added with less leftovers for the diatoms.

Fortunately, diatoms are easy to wipe off glass and aquascaping, which is the way to control them. You might consider removing, cleaning, and replacing aquascaping (never use soap!) I use a paper towel to wipe off of the inside of glass without swishing diatoms into the tank water. Thorough vacuuming of gravel will help get it out of the substrate. A smaller species of Pleco and/or some Otos will help. As the tank matures, diatoms will be less of a problem.

mac
06-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Really like this idea your doing jana.
Very nice work.

angelcraze2
06-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Nice idea to help others! I'm glad you've started this thread.

You've done a great write up so far on diatoms and how to control them in the aquarium. Hope you don't mind, may I add nerite snails are also a great way to combat 'brown algae'?

jana
06-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Nice idea to help others! I'm glad you've started this thread. You've done a great write up so far on diatoms and how to control them in the aquarium.

Hope you don't mind, may I add nerite snails are also a great way to combat 'brown algae'?

Thanks for that reminder! :fish:

Smaller species of pleco, some otocinclus catfish, and some nerite snails are a helpful part of the algae cleanup crew.

jana
06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Really like this idea your doing jana.
Very nice work.

Nice idea to help others! I'm glad you've started this thread.

Thank you so much, friends!

jana
06-20-2017, 11:35 PM
Newbie tips, by Jana

Have you found a use yet for this collapsible substrate rake? Great for getting that gick out from under the DW. Note: this does rust somewhat from being wet, still works

Brush removal of diatoms (and rogue substrate) from my anubias and large rocks is almost as easy (and fun) as covering graffiti with a power painter ("damn kids...". I have a long BBQ silicone brush, and a bristle paint brush, both of which are soft enough to clean anubias petite (cute little algae magnets). I'm also thinking of trying a foam paintbrush for my large river rocks.

mac
06-21-2017, 12:19 AM
This will have to get turned into a pinned lost i recon.

Hands up who agrees with me

jana
06-28-2017, 06:30 AM
This will have to get turned into a pinned lost i recon.

Hands up who agrees with me

Thanks, Mac. I've still got to earn my stripes.

jana
06-28-2017, 07:15 AM
You don't have an API Master Test Kit yet? It's an essential part of caring for your fish by setting up and monitoring your nitrogen cycle.

Ask someone with experience to help you set up your cycle. Experienced fish hobbyists want to help newer folks get the nitrogen cycle going, and avoid hurting or killing your fish.

To keep fish, you MUST have two BENEFICIAL BACTERIAS growing in your aquarium filter*: NITRITES and NITRATES. Without them your fish will suffer and die from ammonia buildup.

THE CYCLE: Fish constantly excrete ammonia > nitrItes eat the ammonia > nitrAtes eat the nitrItes > nitrAtes are controlled by water changes.

Since you can't see these bacteria, you need a test kit to find out when they arrive and how fast they are growing. You'll know the cycle is working when ammonia goes down while nitrites go up, then nitrites go down and nitrates go up.

It's easy:
1 - fish excrete ammonia
2 - nitrites eat ammonia
3 - nitrates eat nitrites
4 - nitrates are controlled by water changes

If you have skipped this step with previous aquariums, or have friends who skipped it--and didn't lose fish--it's because the fish endured the ammonia until the bacteria started. Lots of fish die from the ammonia. Please don't do that to your fish! It burns their gills and eyes. Okay, nuff said.

>> API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-800-Test-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B000255NCI/)

*Don't throw your filters away! That's the BB (beneficial bacteria) hotel. Put some used aquarium water in a bucket and swish filters out in that water. Always use treated, non-chlorinated water in your aquarium and for cleaning out filters if needed. Treat them like gold.

jana
06-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Here is the Aquarium Community thread about cycling. This is where you will find lots of information, and lots of experienced fish hobbyists who can help you with your cycle. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)

jana
07-27-2017, 11:25 PM
When doing a water change, set aside a bucket with some of the tank water to use for cleaning out your filter, swishing filtering media, etc. Save this reserve of tank water until your tank is done draining and is refilled.

Sometimes spontaneous things happen where a reserve of tank water can be helpful. You can swish needed implements and wet cloths, etc. in the reserve tank water, for instance.

After the water change is complete, you can go toss the reserve of tank water on your garden or grass.

If you have no tank water handy, you can use treated tap water, using Seachem Prime or Tetra Aqua Safe Plus or similar to treat the water and remove the chlorine. Treating incoming water is very important. Avoid using chlorinated water for anything that is introduced or reintroduced to your tank. Chlorine is poisonous to your fish and also poisonous to your biofilter, which is made up of the beneficial bacteria in your filter media. We can run away from poisons. Fish cannot get away from swimming in them if they get in their tank.

mac
10-08-2017, 09:53 AM
A bump for attention.
This wonderful article is very nearly done. What dose every one think?

Rocksor
10-08-2017, 03:33 PM
A bump for attention.
This wonderful article is very nearly done. What dose every one think?

Havent seen Jana online in awhile...

mac
10-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Ah that is sad news indeed.

Silbar
10-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Gosh, I hope she was not involved in the Vegas shooting:18:

Slaphppy7
10-08-2017, 06:32 PM
That is my concern...hope I'm worrying for nothing

Rocksor
10-08-2017, 06:44 PM
her profile says that she checked in a few days ago on 10/5

Slaphppy7
10-08-2017, 07:13 PM
That's good, then

jana
10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Hi, yes I am okay. Just broken-hearted over this horrific tragedy.

Thank you for thinking of me. :malelovies: