PDA

View Full Version : Think I've figured out Top-water problem..

Colby123
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, I think I've figured it out. But, I have no idea what to do about it. I'm gonna try and post a picture. After reading other posts on here I think my pleco has a swim bladder problem. I took a picture yesterday and his abdomen is really swollen.

Today it's worse and he has a white thread hanging out of his anal area.

To catch everyone up... He's doing a lot of top-water swimming/floating. When he does leave the top he's always nose down. If he stops swimming, he starts to float to the top.

Does anyone know if there's anything you can do about this? Am I gonna lose him?

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I don't believe I have ever read of a pleco with swim bladder. Not saying they don't get it, but new to me. Are you sure he doesn't have worms! Sounds like it could be another problem here.

gm72
12-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Internal parasites, I would be willing to bet. He needs to be treated.

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
It sure would be my guess. How much meat produces is your pleco getting? Possibly he's picking up too many blood worms from the bottom? Could be you have worms in your gravel.

Check along those lines. Offer him some vegetable matter.......squash, pea's, etc, and medicate.

Colby123
12-03-2007, 01:47 AM
What do I medicate with?

Neither of my plecos eat anything that I feed. I haven't tried to put vegies in, though. I'm gonna try that tomorrow. I've been trying to get them to eat algea disks and they show absolutely not interest. Even if it lands right next to them they just swim off. The Black Fin Sharks usually wind up eating them.

I don't feed anything else except for flakes. I'm about to switch to New Life Spectrum community fish food, though. As for the worms in the gravel, there shouldn't be any. I just moved about two weeks ago and had to take all the gravel out of the tank. Essentially, I did a full water change with the exception of the water that was in the canister filter. I left that in there in order to keep my biological media alive.

Say I do have worms in my gravel. How do I get rid of them and keep them from coming back?

Thanks for all you help.

Colby

Colby123
12-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I took the pleco out of the tank and put him in a 5 gal. bucket with original tank water. I guess he didn't like it much because he swam around a lot and vigorously. The good thing is while he was swimming he released some bubbles. After that, I noticed the swelling in his gut was gone and he was able to sit on the bottom. I'm so happy. I'm gonna leave him in there for a bit, though, to make sure he's gonna be ok. He's still not eating.

On that note, how do you get them to eat the zuccinni? I put it in there and it just floats on the top of the water. They're normally not top water feeders.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers,
Colby

squirt_12
12-04-2007, 01:49 AM
you have to weigh it down to the bottom.

EDIT - the zuchinni you have to weigh down.

i am glad he is looking better.

zeon
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
That is good to hear your pleco is doing better. :) You can take the piece of cut up zuchinni and a rubberband and attach it to a smooth rock. it will hold it down on the bottom so your pleco can eat it. Let us know how it is doing.