PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank cycled please?

AquaOzzi
12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I am confused with readings I have been getting with my test results since setting up my tank two weeks ago. I have a 4 x 2 x 2ft 55 gallon tank and I did use a Bio starter (Amrite Down) which I was told was 'the thing to do' by the aquarium shop guy. I am now doubting this? Also, I have not introduce any foreign bacteria from another tank. My tank is heavily planted and has a large piece of driftwood (purchased from the aquarium store and soaked)

My readings since setup have been:

19/11 setup
20/11 Am 0, Nitrite .25, Nitrates 5
25/11 Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 6
27,11 Am .25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 7
28/11 Am 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 7
29/11 Am0, Nitrites 0,Nitrates 0
1/12 Am0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5
2/12 Am 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5

Should I be adding pure ammonia to speed things up? I am confused as my readings show Nitrate levels which I thought were impossible without some action from the Nitrites?

Also, here's a photo, so any comments on my initial layout would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fishguy2727
12-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Are those live plants?

4x2x2' is 120 gallons.

What test kit are you using?

Are you doing any water changes?

Firewater
12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Now I'm new to all this, but those readings seem weird to me. How can you have that level of nitrate without having nitrite or ammonia? Did you test your tap water?

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Your tank is doing nothing but sitting there without a source of ammonia.

You need to either be adding fish, pure ammonia or something that produces ammonia.

AquaOzzi
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry, tank size is 120cm x 40cm x 58cm high. Yes, they are real plants except for the two grassy ones on the left. I am using a API Master Test Kit (droplet) and my natural tap water is a big fat '0' for Ammonia and Nitrites.

Yes, this is why I am confused as well. :confused: Having read threads on this site I believed it wasn't possible to have Nitrates without Nitrites. Maybe the driftwood and plants have introduced some? Could this be possible?

Should I go with a Fishy cycle seen as though I am getting Nitrate readings already or would it be better to stick with the fishless cycle and introduce ammonia as per the 'how to cycle a tank' thread?

Fishguy2727
12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Have you tested the tap for nitrates?

What fish are you planning on?

AquaOzzi
12-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I am so dumb...there is always a simple answer isn't there! :ssuprised:
I tested our tap water (thanks FishGuy) for Nitrates and it came out '5' ....so back to square one but at least I know whats happening, or not happening. I will start adding the daily ammonia doses today and get this cycle happening.
When all is said and done I will be keeping a community aquarium with plenty of Tetras, a few Gouramis, Rainbowfish and some yet to be decided Algae eaters...
Thanks for your help with this everyone

kurly
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Good luck on your fishless cycle. You have made a good choice and your fish will love you for it :malelovies: