PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, check out my new 300 gallon setup.

TankoAquatics
05-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Hi, my name is Zach, I just recently upgraded my common snapping turtles tank to a 300 gallon. So here is a short video with Roger in his new tank on day 1. I will def post as I upgrade the tank. Any comments are welcomed , I am very new to large tank care! So anything helps. Thanks again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNTBwSXyuk

zach (@tankoaquatics) • Instagram photos and videos
Zach (@TankoAquatics) | Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TankoAquatics-1915292468716541/

William
05-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Hello , welcome aboard. I hope you will enjoy the forum.

TankoAquatics
05-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Hey William, thanks for the welcome. I have been enjoying it, been taking notes on does and do not's.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScQv9i6CRjZH0qXghJ_oAg
zach (@tankoaquatics) • Instagram photos and videos
Zach (@TankoAquatics) | Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TankoAquati...5292468716541/

RiversGirl
05-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the AC, Zack.

Brhino
05-26-2017, 12:49 AM
Hello and welcome!

How big is the turtle now? What do you feed it? I've never seen someone keeping a snapper as a pet except for at a nature center.

TankoAquatics
05-26-2017, 01:03 AM
Hello and welcome!

How big is the turtle now? What do you feed it? I've never seen someone keeping a snapper as a pet except for at a nature center.

Hey, he is about 18-20 pounds now. Rogers(the turtles name) indoor stock tank is just for winter time, I am getting a outdoor pond put in for him for the summer time. Roger has been apart of my family for almost 5 years now. Had to learn a lot to take care of him, also a lot of money to set up something like this. But i was told by multiple people if i let him go into the wild he would not live long because I have had him for over 8 months, this was not ok with me at all, he is a good companion .

gadget228
05-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

AmazonJoe
05-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the community :22:

Roger looks awesome!

Slaphppy7
05-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

angelcraze2
05-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Hi welcome! Nice setup for your snapping turtle. You say you have no aquarium knowledge, but you seem to know what you're doing! Anubias on some driftwood as a platform island for your turtle will look awesome. This is an indoor pond? I always wanted to try that!

TankoAquatics
05-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Hi welcome! Nice setup for your snapping turtle. You say you have no aquarium knowledge, but you seem to know what you're doing! Anubias on some driftwood as a platform island for your turtle will look awesome. This is an indoor pond? I always wanted to try that!

Hey angelcraze2 , Yes I have watched a month of videos of DIY and aquarium setup videos. I still think I have so much to learn, I did work for a pool company for 4 years that helped a bit, and I just learn fast. Hoping to complete the plumbing for the filter system today, had a issue trying to resolve that as I type this. I do plan on getting a nice large driftwood for the middle, but I also had an idea to make my on ramp with Great Stuff Pond foam and some flag stones. not sure which I will do yet, I might try both. The DIY ramp would save me almost 80$. Also I am taking more trips to Ocean city Maryland and to the Potomac river next week to grab driftwood for my store and possible my own tank as well. I have a 17in long 5in wide piece of driftwood soaking tannins out now. After looking at this piece everyday though for past few weeks, I don't think this one will ever go into my tank.
with all that said. I do plan on putting out a short unboxing video of some JavaMoss I got today. Sadly they came early and I have yet to get the knitting canvas to attach them to, so it will just be a unboxing until I get the canvas(might be today or tomorrow).

TankoAquatics
05-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Hey just got some java moss need some ideas for it please. I ordered some knitting canvas for it to hang on. and some 13w 6500k bulbs n some clamp lamps 8.5 in , anything else I need beside air pump for Co2? I would like it to grow all over one side of Rogers 300 gallon tank.

here is what the moss looks like now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h0tEChGUgU&t=11s

The bulbs and lamps come tonight or tomorrow morning. Hoping tonight!

steeler58
05-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the forum ;-)

TankoAquatics
05-27-2017, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the forum ;-)

Hey thanks for the welcome @steeler58 .

waylon101
05-31-2017, 03:26 AM
Welcome to AC!

BluewaterBoof
05-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Hello and welcome! :22:

That's actually a really cool setup you have there. I was listening to a bit of your audio but I'm here at work and couldn't listen to the whole thing (prying eyes/ears around here...). Did you address how you handle cleaning the tank and what you do for filtration?

TankoAquatics
06-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Hey, thanks Waylon101 , and Bluewaterboof for the welcomes. When I have time I will def post some more videos!
@bluewaterboof I was clean a lot with vacuum, a temp filter is set up to help. I will show that soon as well.

Boundava
06-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Hey just got some java moss need some ideas for it please. I ordered some knitting canvas for it to hang on. and some 13w 6500k bulbs n some clamp lamps 8.5 in , anything else I need beside air pump for Co2? I would like it to grow all over one side of Rogers 300 gallon tank.

here is what the moss looks like now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h0tEChGUgU&t=11s

The bulbs and lamps come tonight or tomorrow morning. Hoping tonight!

Roger is awesome! I like your stock tank a lot, and love the fish hiding behind Roger.
RE the java moss, you can attach it to the knitting canvas with fishing thread, it will be a bit tedious. You can also try cutting small slits in the canvas and pushing clumps of the moss through it instead of tying it on. Unfortunately java doesn't stick well with superglue gel, at least in my experience.

The air pump is for the fish or the plants or Roger? The plants won't need the air pump, the pond you have is relatively short so surface gas exchange should be good without the air pump and air-stone, though if you really wanted to you could hide it under the rocky section-just be careful Roger doesn't eat the airline tubing accidentally. I don't think you need CO2 for the tank.

BluewaterBoof
06-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Hey, thanks Waylon101 , and Bluewaterboof for the welcomes. When I have time I will def post some more videos!
@bluewaterboof I was clean a lot with vacuum, a temp filter is set up to help. I will show that soon as well.

For your vacuuming, are you doing it old school using a siphon and bucket, or do you have yourself a Python vacuum?

angelcraze2
06-01-2017, 04:28 PM
I also had an idea to make my on ramp with Great Stuff Pond foam and some flag stones. not sure which I will do yet, I might try both. The DIY ramp would save me almost 80$.

That's a great plan, love to find ways to DIY. I bought myself some Great Stuff as well, but I haven't used it yet.

TankoAquatics
06-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Hey everyone, doing a few replies in one post here.

1st up is Boundava - "Roger is awesome! I like your stock tank a lot, and love the fish hiding behind Roger.
RE the java moss, you can attach it to the knitting canvas with fishing thread, it will be a bit tedious. You can also try cutting small slits in the canvas and pushing clumps of the moss through it instead of tying it on. Unfortunately java doesn't stick well with superglue gel, at least in my experience.

The air pump is for the fish or the plants or Roger? The plants won't need the air pump, the pond you have is relatively short so surface gas exchange should be good without the air pump and air-stone, though if you really wanted to you could hide it under the rocky section-just be careful Roger doesn't eat the airline tubing accidentally. I don't think you need CO2 for the tank."
~ Ok this air pump was just for later tank, wanted to get lil more flow without the main system running, now that I have a temp overflow type system running, I have moved the air pump to another tank(45gal) . I will hopefully get a video up this week with everything I have changed and added to the system. As for the Java moss , I have it in the 45gal tank for now. I stuck it to some driftwood for now.

Ok second reply is to Bluewaterboof - "For your vacuuming, are you doing it old school using a siphon and bucket, or do you have yourself a Python vacuum?"
~ I am using a 10+ year old home made vacuum. it is half vinyl tubing(maybe 10-15feet) and that goes to hard pvc pipe attached to the sink. I will prob replace some parts to this actually soon, or just the newer python I saw it was on sale not long ago. I really like DIY, so we will see what happens.

And lastly to angelcraze2 - "That's a great plan, love to find ways to DIY. I bought myself some Great Stuff as well, but I haven't used it yet."
~ I myself have not used it as well. I really hope it looks good, if not I will prob cover with java moss or other plants.
I am also curing a rather large piece of driftwood I got, but that will take another 3-4 weeks of soaking (I'll show some pictures of that later as well.)

But I can let everyone know , I have ordered Beamswork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater 0.50W off amazon for the 42 gallon tank, (atm it is housing molly fish I think 7? and a snail) Hopefully I get this by Tuesday next week.
Really still thinking about getting frogbit or other floating plants for Rogers Main tank. I think the shade/cover would help him be less stressed. Still trying to find a good seller for usa, I talked to a few on ebay, but they seemed shady , so if anyone has someone they buy from let me know please.

Thanks, Zach

I will let everyone know when I get new videos up, if you have not please like n subscribe to the channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScQv9i6CRjZH0qXghJ_oAg

Boundava
06-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Try hans aquatics.com he's got the selection of plants and usually has a floating plant or two. Frog-bit might be a little small for a 300-gallon tank I would look into a Water Lettuce instead. Or salvinia is a nice floater too, comes in a couple different varieties.

TankoAquatics
06-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Try hans aquatics.com he's got the selection of plants and usually has a floating plant or two. Frog-bit might be a little small for a 300-gallon tank I would look into a Water Lettuce instead. Or salvinia is a nice floater too, comes in a couple different varieties.

Hey good morning Boundava , thanks for the advice I will check it out more today, was looking a bit last night of hans sections , and as for the frog-bit I was told it is really low light and really easy to grow more off one bulb, I think 120-150 of the Frog-bits would cover a 2-3 feet circle , which is kinda what I want for Roger.

Brhino
06-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I bought frogbit on ebay from this particular seller a few years ago: http://www.ebay.com/sch/xuguxugu/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

The plants were lovely. It didn't work out, because my fish ate them... what can you do?

TankoAquatics
06-02-2017, 08:32 PM
I bought frogbit on ebay from this particular seller a few years ago: http://www.ebay.com/sch/xuguxugu/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

The plants were lovely. It didn't work out, because my fish ate them... what can you do?

Hey Brihino , Roger has been eating the green I throw in with him, so I grow the plants in a 46gal tank, I will def check out this ebay link. Thanks for the info .I did look at another link posted , Hans aquatics.com . So I have a bit of shopping to do.

Also just ordered a new cam , so will def have more videos and pictures up asap!

BluewaterBoof
06-02-2017, 10:23 PM
I second Nat's suggestion for water lettuce. I don't really have issues with the smaller floating plants, but I know a lot of people tend to get frustrated with the itty bitty stuff. Water lettuce is much bigger and therefore easier to control.

Looks like you've got a good hold on your setup and a frequent poster; you should join us over in the Journal section and create a thread for your tank(s)!

OH! There is a button with a little quotation mark just to the right of the "Reply with Quote" button. When you want to respond to several posts, like you did earlier, you can click that little button for each post you want to respond to. After you do that, each of those different posts will populate into one reply once you hit the "Reply to Thread" button, like so:

Hey Brihino , Roger has been eating the green I throw in with him, so I grow the plants in a 46gal tank, I will def check out this ebay link. Thanks for the info .I did look at another link posted , Hans aquatics.com . So I have a bit of shopping to do.

Also just ordered a new cam , so will def have more videos and pictures up asap!

Then you can add your comments in between each quote...

...like this...

Hey good morning Boundava , thanks for the advice I will check it out more today, was looking a bit last night of hans sections , and as for the frog-bit I was told it is really low light and really easy to grow more off one bulb, I think 120-150 of the Frog-bits would cover a 2-3 feet circle , which is kinda what I want for Roger.

...and like this.

It's a little bit easier than having to copy and paste everyone's posts when replying to multiple people. :)

TankoAquatics
06-03-2017, 04:22 AM
I second Nat's suggestion for water lettuce. I don't really have issues with the smaller floating plants, but I know a lot of people tend to get frustrated with the itty bitty stuff. Water lettuce is much bigger and therefore easier to control.

Looks like you've got a good hold on your setup and a frequent poster; you should join us over in the Journal section and create a thread for your tank(s)!

OH! There is a button with a little quotation mark just to the right of the "Reply with Quote" button. When you want to respond to several posts, like you did earlier, you can click that little button for each post you want to respond to. After you do that, each of those different posts will populate into one reply once you hit the "Reply to Thread" button, like so:

Then you can add your comments in between each quote...

...like this...

...and like this.

It's a little bit easier than having to copy and paste everyone's posts when replying to multiple people. :)

O this is great to know. Thanks for that info Bluewaterboof. I shall make a thread tonight before bed, much thanks for that info.
Also won't be posting this on new thread but I am picking up a 20gal an maybe a 10 gal tank in the morning. Hopefully everything goes smooth with the trade, getting them from a local cl add. So I will def fill everyone in on what I have in plan for the new tanks.

Slaphppy7
06-03-2017, 03:42 PM
I can combine the two threads and leave them in the Journals section, if you wish...there's alot of info in this intro thread...just PM me if you want to combine them, or post here