PDA

View Full Version : How Long can my Pleco go with Air Filter?

LVaughn
05-20-2017, 01:45 PM
We have to have some major construction in our home, ceilings being replaced from a tree fall. Contractor recommends that the filter to my 55 gallon aquarium be turned off. I have a pleco that is 15 years old and about 20" long. Blackie is the only fish I have. How long can the filter be turned off.

Taurus
05-20-2017, 02:10 PM
How long can the filter be turned off.

That's a big fish for a 55 gallon tank. I would remove the biomedia from the filter and place it in the tank. You will have to agitate the tank water surface so that the water stays oxygenated. You might want to use a cup or something similar to scoop water out of the tank and pour it back in. That will keep oxygen in the water so that the biomedia and it's bacteria don't die off right away. After about 24 hours it will be best to do water changes on the tank provided that the new water is dechlorinated and heated to some extent. The beneficial bacteria in the biomedia will survive for a couple of days as long as you keep the water as oxygenated as possible.

Slaphppy7
05-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Agree with the above, but I would run an airstone as well

Taurus
05-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Agree with the above, but I would run an airstone as well

Not unless the OP has a battery powered air pump.

Boundava
05-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Is the recommendation due to electrical issues? Or due to particles/debris entering the aquarium? If its the first then I would follow above recommendations with a battery air pump as plecos need oxygenated waters. Put the bag of biomedia on the airstone to help keep a current running through it.

If its due to debris entering the tank-then add an air pump and stone and cover the tank with a plastic sheet-like a drop cloth, or thickly woven blanket or a couple high thread count sheets. Keep the light off obviously.

William
05-20-2017, 05:47 PM
It all depends on the water quality. If your water quality is good and your cycle stable then they can go indefinitely as long as you do not overfeed. ( in your situation i would not feed at all).

I have spent a lot of time trying low tech fish keeping and i have kept plecos in unfiltered aquariums. They do well provided the stocking is low enough. The same is true for almost any fish. Modern tech like filters make aquariums more stable and make it easier to keep fish. But they are not essential.

With this being said. I do recommend that novices fish keepers always use a filter since it is a lot easier.

Slaphppy7
05-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Not unless the OP has a battery powered air pump.

Didn't know the power was off (?)

LVaughn
05-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Is the recommendation due to electrical issues? Or due to particles/debris entering the aquarium? If its the first then I would follow above recommendations with a battery air pump as plecos need oxygenated waters. Put the bag of biomedia on the airstone to help keep a current running through it.

If its due to debris entering the tank-then add an air pump and stone and cover the tank with a plastic sheet-like a drop cloth, or thickly woven blanket or a couple high thread count sheets. Keep the light off obviously.

Due to debris. I may be able to turn on the filter at night once the dust settles. Contractor is talking 2 weeks to tear down and replace ceilings. Both bedrooms, hall, living room, kitchen/dining room (where the aquarium is). Plan on covering Blackie, yes I know he is large, once Goldie died he just got bigger and I don't have anyway to move him. I will clean the tank next weekend as they will start the 1st of June, 2017.

Slaphppy7
05-21-2017, 03:40 PM
That will be fine, cover the tank and filter off during the day, then uncover at night with filter on.

What kind of filter?...the media needs to stay wet/submerged the entire time

I would still leave a bubbler going during the day.