PDA

View Full Version : constant fighting firemouth/convicts!!!

ladidahn
12-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I have had 5 firemouth/convict hybrids since they were babies and they were always somewhat aggressive, but I recently moved them into a larger tank (55g) with a pleco. They range in size from 2 in. to 5in. I had to move the largest one back to the smaller tank b/c he was ganging up with 2 others and the 3 of them were terrorizing the other 2. I knew the new tank would bring up some territorial issues, but they all are looking pretty beat up and I'm trying not to lose any! So, I guess my question is would adding any other fish help with the aggression or lead to more? If I did add any more fish is there any that would be best to try?

fishydude
12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
In a cichlid tank the rule of thumb is the more the merrier. You could even try a large Oscar.

gm72
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
No large oscar in that size tank with the current inhabitants. Far too much of a bioload for a 55.

Incredulous_Ed
12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Add tons of hiding places such as rock caves and driftwood so each fish can have their own little territory. Then see if that resolves the problem.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
I also agree no oscars.

You could probably try some dither fish like giant danio's to get the attention away from the others. I have a firemouth tank now with silver dollars but they are fast as lighting and all about 4 inches. I only have 4 firemouths and only one is being a problem.

Lots and lots of caves for hiding as stated above.

With all cichlids, it's best to have the females out number the males.