PDA

View Full Version : My baby cory has fungus :(

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 05:11 PM
I have one baby orange laser cory I was growing out. I upgraded him in my 10g with two very small angelfish when I moved the fry tanks into the fishroom. I had a lava rock in there weighting down some elodea densa since the tank is bare-bottom. It was in there for a while and I kind of forgot about it and didn't give it any thought. Well, my little cory scratched his head pretty badly on it. I removed the lava rock and replaced with quartz.

I was keeping my eye on his injury and added StressCoat. A few days later, he developed a bit of fungus on the wound, that was last night.

I added 5ml of Pimafix last night, and plan to do daily WCs going forward. I wish I could do the peroxide swab, but the injury is right around his eyes :(

He is still eating, is there anything else I could/should do? I'm not sure how to treat a cory, I know they are sensitive to salt and many meds.

I don't have a pic yet, but it's not that fungused, although the injury is white and has been from the start.

Rocksor
05-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Cories can handle salt if you do a drip acclimatization over the course of 4 days for total dosage.

The cory should be fine with antibiotics, and paraguard. I would dose 1/2 dosage of paraguard on the first day, and slowly increase it to fully dosage over the course of 3 days to see if there are any issues.

Boundava
05-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Hope your little guy heals up fast.

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Tx Rocksor and Boundava :)

Do I have to use antibiotics with the paraguard? I still have some kanamycin, is it an infection at this point?

I'll have to buy some paraguard today, start meds tonight, but what are your thoughts on meth blue?

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Should I try following Nat's med schedule for her loach? I think they are both scaleless fish and hard to treat with meds and they both have injuries on their heads.

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Day1- 150 ml ParaGuard, 15 scoops Kanaplex (per 1 scooop/5gallons)
Day2- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day3- 150 ml WC then dose ParaGuard, 15 scoops Kanaplex (48 hours later)
Day4- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day5- 150 ml WC then dose ParaGuard, 15 scoops Kanaplex (48 hours later, max 3 doses)
Day6- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day7- 150 ml WC then dose ParaGuard, 38 scoops Neoplex (per 1 scoop/2gallons)

WEEK2
Day1- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day2- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day3- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day4- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day5- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day6- 150 ml ParaGuard
Day7- 150 ml WC then dose ParaGuard (which has a shelf life of what 24 hrs...)

Assess and repeat if necessary.

The doses will be adjusted for a 10g tank. What do you think? I'm not used to not doing daily WCs when I see a sick fish....

....less the neoplex

Boundava
05-15-2017, 06:37 PM
I would say yes, but Rocksor should have the final word on the matter.

SueD
05-15-2017, 06:47 PM
I've never dealt with meds, so what am I missing here? You indicate 1 scoop per 5 gal for Kanaplex, and indicate 15 scoops. This is a 10g tank, right? Wouldn't that be 2 scoops?

Boundava
05-15-2017, 07:00 PM
No the 15 scoops is for my 75 gallon tank, that was my conversions to treat the whole 75 tank, not Angelcraze2.

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I'd reduce the dosage of all the meds to treat a 10g.

So I guess if the paraguard has only 24 hrs shelf life? that I could do daily WCs before redosing? Or would that mess up the kanaplex?

Boundava
05-15-2017, 07:09 PM
So this instead:

Day1- 5 ml ParaGuard, 2 scoops Kanaplex (per 1 scoop/5gallons)
Day2- 5 ml ParaGuard
Day3- 5 ml ParaGuard, 2 scoops Kanaplex (48 hours later)
Day4- 5 ml ParaGuard
Day5- 5 ml ParaGuard, 2 scoops Kanaplex (48 hours later, max 3 doses)
Day6- 5 ml ParaGuard
Day7- WC then dose 5 ml ParaGuard-WC just being my usual schedule, can be omitied

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 07:20 PM
That's nice of you to retype that. I like to have a schedule to stick to :)

angelcraze2
05-15-2017, 08:09 PM
:cry::cry: Nevermind, he didn't make it though the night.

I'm so surprised, it didn't look that bad. I wonder if he didn't like the Pimafix?

Thanks to everyone for the help regardless.

Nat, I hope your loach is doing ok!

Boundava
05-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. I hate the fungal looking bacterial infections. I have had them a couple times and never seem to get the fish over it in time either.

Ben is hanging in there, hope to see him tonight when I get home.

RiversGirl
05-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Angel, I am sorry you lost this little cory.

In trying to learn from your thread, I have a question. What do you mean about:

So I guess if the paraguard has only 24 hrs shelf life?

This is the second time I've read that here. (I think the other time may have been within Nat's thread)

Does that mean it is no longer effective within 24 hours once it is dosed into the tank, therefore it must be re-dosed every day when treating a tank? or am I misunderstanding this?
I'd just like to clarify this, to better understand -- am not meaning to thread jack.

Boundava
05-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Angel, I am sorry you lost this little cory.

In trying to learn from your thread, I have a question. What do you mean about:

This is the second time I've read that here. (I think the other time may have been within Nat's thread)

Does that mean it is no longer effective within 24 hours once it is dosed into the tank, therefore it must be re-dosed every day when treating a tank? or am I misunderstanding this?
I'd just like to clarify this, to better understand -- am not meaning to thread jack.

I believe it was Rocksor told me that the Paraguard has an effectiveness of 24 hours in the tank, which is why you dose daily-it doesn't build up in the tank.

steeler58
05-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Sorry for your loss Kat.

RiversGirl
05-16-2017, 01:51 AM
I believe it was Rocksor told me that the Paraguard has an effectiveness of 24 hours in the tank, which is why you dose daily-it doesn't build up in the tank.

Thank you for clarifying.

Silbar
05-16-2017, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it :(

William
05-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Sorry for your loss. They are wonderful little fish.

waylon101
05-16-2017, 04:44 AM
:cry::cry: Nevermind, he didn't make it though the night.

I'm so surprised, it didn't look that bad. I wonder if he didn't like the Pimafix?

Thanks to everyone for the help regardless.

Nat, I hope your loach is doing ok!

Sorry for the loss AngelCraze

Slaphppy7
05-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear he/she didn't make it.

Rocksor
05-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Sorry the cory didn't make it.

SueD
05-16-2017, 01:46 PM
No the 15 scoops is for my 75 gallon tank, that was my conversions to treat the whole 75 tank, not Angelcraze2.

Oh, gotcha now

sad to see the cory was lost.

angelcraze2
05-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I was so surprised he/she was dead. I really couldn't believe it, the fungus was hardly there. Does anyone know anything about Pimafix and cories?

Unfortunately, this is my second failed attempt at keeping cories. I love them, but they don't seem to do well in my tanks. It might be the height of my tanks, it might be too warm for them. When I try cories again, and I will, I'll look at dupes or a species that can tolerate higher temps.

I'm just baffled and a bit floored that this has happened. I don't want to kill anymore cories :(

And Rivers, I only leaned about the shelf life of paraguard myself, and I'm not sure even, but it's good info to know in case :)

Boundava
05-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Well that is the In-tank shelf life, not in the bottle...

angelcraze2
05-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Well that is the In-tank shelf life, not in the bottle...

Good to mention!

Rocksor
05-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I was so surprised he/she was dead. I really couldn't believe it, the fungus was hardly there. Does anyone know anything about Pimafix and cories?

Unfortunately, this is my second failed attempt at keeping cories. I love them, but they don't seem to do well in my tanks. It might be the height of my tanks, it might be too warm for them. When I try cories again, and I will, I'll look at dupes or a species that can tolerate higher temps.

I'm just baffled and a bit floored that this has happened. I don't want to kill anymore cories :(

And Rivers, I only leaned about the shelf life of paraguard myself, and I'm not sure even, but it's good info to know in case :)

What temp was your tank again? I had no issues with C aenus and B. Splendens at 84F.