PDA

View Full Version : New to shrimp

sfsamm
05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
I've been doing aquariums for a long time, and I recently ventured into aquascaping. One of my tanks I CANNOT seem to get out ahead of what I am 99% sure is diatoms. I have even gutted and started over and they came back. NONE of my other tanks have any issues.
So rather than being mad about it I've decided to try my hand at some Amano and Cherry shrimp. I've been wanting to try shrimp keeping for quite some time but never really wanted to dedicate a tank to them. Well, they can have this one lol if nothing else my hope is that they will at least help keep it from being atrocious, I'm not getting them expecting them to rid the tank of it but I'll probably be less bothered knowing it has a purpose.

My questions...
It's a Fluval Spec V tank. Do I need to add something to the overflow to prevent shrimp from ending up in the filter area?

Also wondering if the Amano and Cherries will be alright together or should I split them up and keep them separately? I have other tanks I'm sure that they could live, also.

There's currently a fairly passive betta in the tank, but I hear sometimes shrimp are shipped as juveniles which would probably be a quick snack for the betta... Should I get him another home set up sooner rather than later or wait and see what size the shrimps arrive as?

That tank is currently not heavily planted because I keep cutting everything back and I'd gutted it a while back trying to get rid of the diatoms. Should I pick up some additional plants to keep them happy or are they alright with a less heavily planted tank? I can get them plenty of hiding places if necessary with other decor, pvc, etc.

And finally, this tank was scaped this time in somewhat of a rush and I'm absolutely NOT planning in keeping it as is. How well do shrimp do during a renovation of their tank? Obviously I don't have to leave them in the tank. I actually plan to change the substrate if the other cap I want ever arrives. I can make the changes in day and have them back in their home in 24 hours if necessary... Is that a death sentence for them?

Slaphppy7
05-13-2017, 07:31 PM
You need to add something to the intake of the filter, or they will get sucked into the filter...never had one of those tanks, so I am not sure what the end of the intake looks like

Amanos and cherries would be fine together

Keeping bettas and shrimp sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...many times the shrimp do become snacks

Cherries and amanos can handle being moved around quite well, they are hardy shrimp

SueD
05-13-2017, 08:19 PM
The intake is similar to a skimmer on this tank. I just added another sponge (Aquaclear 50) over the black sponge which somewhat blocks this area. My shrimp do still get in, however, most likely from the intake at the bottom which I did not block. When pulling the sponge out to clean, I do it very slowly with a bucket of water nearby and put the sponge quickly in that. Then I net out any shrimp that had been on the sponge.

You'll probably find several other mods for this intake if you google it - like putting craft mesh over the slots.

sfsamm
05-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Thank you! I'll definitely get something over the intake and I'd planned to do something for the lower one also already, I may even block the lower one completely. And thanks Sue for the heads up on watching for them in the filter regardless I'll be careful!

Research showed these guys both as a bit more hardy than most so I'm glad to hear I'll be able to move them for the remodel so I don't have to keep the tank as is! With new substrate and everything I'll be replanting with me crypts and maybe some more ludia if I can get it as well. That should all fill in pretty well and trims nicely for appearances too. After a couple months they should have a good cover.

What about excel with shrimp? Is it OK? Or should I dose less or not at all? It doesn't seem to bother my nerites but like I said new to shrimp lol and it seems not everything that claims invert friendly actually is!

UserName
05-14-2017, 02:15 AM
I am too lazy to google the tank you are refering to, but maybe try getting a scrubbie sponge and unroll it then cut to fit the opening. Nothing short of fry should be able to get through that. I zip tied one to the output of my Fluval 406 just in case my Khuli loach decides to find out what the inside of my canister looks like.

sfsamm
05-14-2017, 02:40 AM
I am too lazy to google the tank you are refering to, but maybe try getting a scrubbie sponge and unroll it then cut to fit the opening. Nothing short of fry should be able to get through that. I zip tied one to the output of my Fluval 406 just in case my Khuli loach decides to find out what the inside of my canister looks like.

I like that idea! Then I won't have to silicone it on. I'll have to run to the store tomorrow, or later tonight and nab one...

Think an unused bath thing would work? I've got a couple of those already.

UserName
05-14-2017, 05:04 AM
I like that idea! Then I won't have to silicone it on. I'll have to run to the store tomorrow, or later tonight and nab one...

Think an unused bath thing would work? I've got a couple of those already.

Probably. Only thing is the netting on those are a lot smaller which will clog up more.

SueD
05-14-2017, 12:53 PM

That doesn't look like it will stop shrimp at all.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Nope, it's the shrimplets you should be concerned about, but even adults could get sucked through that very easily.

So there is not an intake tube on the filter?...more like a slot or something?

UserName
05-14-2017, 08:16 PM

I had the same stuff covering the intake on the DIY overflow I made several years back and nothing got through it. I can't imagine much could get through it. Each "hole" is slightly less 1/8" in diameter.

sfsamm
05-14-2017, 08:29 PM
It's similar to a skimmer... First pic is from the tank side second is from the sponge and pump side. There is also a slot lower that is mostly only effective when/if the water gets below the over flow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170514/d9e94b0eef711dfbdaf7b8cddc09d1c0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170514/f7a3f27b72dd0fae6940a2dff8bd0408.jpg

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 09:43 AM
I trimmed up some bath poof and it'll get attached when I'm up for it or my next set of days off as it proved a bit more than I was up for today before work. The betta will move to another tank for a while and so will the nerites, which are disgusting about their egg laying lately anyway.
Maybe I asked but don't think I got an answer...
Is Excel and flourish tabs alright for the shrimp?
Should I pull the bubbles and just use the power head on the surface for air exchange? (bubbles were only added as a failed attempt to deter the diatoms anyway)

mac
05-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Personally I would not add a power head to limit the amount of over supply of current on the Betta. To much agitation is not good for them at all.
Is here no way to get any surface agitation with the filtration system??

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Personally I would not add a power head to limit the amount of over supply of current on the Betta. To much agitation is not good for them at all.
Is here no way to get any surface agitation with the filtration system??
This tank is a Fluval Spec V, betta has been in it quite some time. I have the flow turned super low for him and he's been good with it, likes to swim against it now and again actually. Which I attributed the super low water flow, possibly being a contributing factor to my diatoms that will not go away in this tank. After months of fighting fighting them I gutted and rebuilt and they returned.... So it's going to become my first try at a shrimp tank which I'm trying to modify and adjust as needed to house the shrimps. The betta will be moving to another tank for a bit and potentially permanently.

I added bubbles to up the surface agitation in hopes to deter, and prevent the diatoms from returning. Not sure if the power head or the bubbles are better for shrimps. I can get another sponge going if bubbles are advised but the flow rate on the fluval power head can be adjusted exceptionally low. I also have several prefilter sponges handy that fit right over the power head to further diffuse the flow and reduce current, but I stopped using because of the diatom war.

And one more question, other than moss what are favorite plants for shrimps, I'd like to stock it with shrimp friendly plants on the remodel! I've got moss balls around and plan to keep the ludia and crypt in the tank but will happily replace the sword varieties that are currently growing out with some shrimpy favorites! I plan to get my mits on some Christmas moss when I have a chance as well as I'm not a big fan of moss but I do like Christmas moss.

Silbar
05-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Little baby shrimplets are so tiny all you see are their eyes sometimes. Once when I ordered RCS I had removed all the shrimp and moss from the container. Then I thought I saw some movement still in the container. I had to keep staring at it until I finally saw tiny black grains of pepper...it was the eyes of the shrimplets. Trust me, they will get through the bath sponge.
I would suggest trying a piece of window screening that you can get at Home Depot. Water should still be able to flow through it. You might be able to slip a piece inside the tank along the slats and clip it to the top edge. Then you can easily remove it for cleaning.
I use the SS prefilters from Han's and the mesh is so tiny and yet the water still flows great. If you don't have a lot of plant debris it should work just fine.

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Little baby shrimplets are so tiny all you see are their eyes sometimes. Once when I ordered RCS I had removed all the shrimp and moss from the container. Then I thought I saw some movement still in the container. I had to keep staring at it until I finally saw tiny black grains of pepper...it was the eyes of the shrimplets. Trust me, they will get through the bath sponge.
I would suggest trying a piece of window screening that you can get at Home Depot. Water should still be able to flow through it. You might be able to slip a piece inside the tank along the slats and clip it to the top edge. Then you can easily remove it for cleaning.
I use the SS prefilters from Han's and the mesh is so tiny and yet the water still flows great. If you don't have a lot of plant debris it should work just fine.

Crap.... I didn't know there was a chance they'd arrive THAT small! I'm 200 miles from anywhere other than Walmart, but I'll try to find some window screen at one of the ranch supply stores here!
I have some prefilters but not flat ones and the flat filter media I do have I would have to butcher to use.
Would I be able to clip it using just like a standard black office binder clip (the better than paperclip clips) I'm pretty sure they are stainless..? If not do you have a recommendation on what to clip it with?

Slaphppy7
05-15-2017, 12:09 PM
The black binder clips are not stainless.

One option would be nylon hose/stockings...but they clog quickly

Silbar is correct, shrimplets are tiny...think head of a pin...they'll get sucked through holes smaller than 1/8"...even adults could

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 12:29 PM
The black binder clips are not stainless.

One option would be nylon hose/stockings...but they clog quickly

Silbar is correct, shrimplets are tiny...think head of a pin...they'll get sucked through holes smaller than 1/8"...even adults could
What about clothes pins, the metal obviously wouldn't be in the water and they are inexpensive enough that I could just swap for a couple new pins every couple weeks if I had to keep them touching the water. But that would make it impossible to have any kind of lid... Or maybe the large paperclips if they are stainless?
The tank is more or less a blank slate as is getting redesigned anyway so plants that like the high side of medium lighting and preferably fairly quick growth and shrimp favorites will be what's planted at that point I have no idea what the plant debris will be like but I've never minded aquarium maintenance so keeping whatever is needed to keep shrimps safe clean isn't going to bother me a bit (so long as it can go at least 12 hours without plugging while I am on shift lol)

The bath foofy that I was planning on using would be a double layer folded 3-4 times, and I'd considered weaving it through a few slats to keep it in place rather than attaching it. It really wouldn't have much more space than a screen... But due to it being a more relaxed material obviously there's the potential for some wide spots to occur.

Slaphppy7
05-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Clothes pins may work...

I just wish you had a filter with a regular intake tube!

A "Spec V" is a 5 gallon tank?

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Clothes pins may work...

I just wish you had a filter with a regular intake tube!

A "Spec V" is a 5 gallon tank?

Haha I'm starting to wish one of my other tanks was the one with the issues! Then I'd have either hob filter and prefilter sponge already in hand or a sponge filter already cycled for it lol

And yes the Spec V is a 5 gallon tank.
First pic is the fluval stock photo second is someone's tank setup so you can see the powerhead (my overflow is towards the front in my tank, the power head is just next to it).

Water flows through overflow and then filters though sponge and media, power head pulls water through to the bottom and then over to the side with the pump and spits it back out at the top. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/d9101766f1d3153c6c3be3980a8578e7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/e88e6b580492f6f3526446138ec13a9d.jpg

Slaphppy7
05-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Ah, now it is clearer to me.

Like SueD mentioned above, there's probably only so much you can do to keep the shrimp out of the filter, but inevitably, some are going to get in

Boundava
05-15-2017, 01:02 PM

I agree it won't stop shrimp-posibly woman's nylon type fabric or tulle placed over the vents would, but not that netting. Fry are tiny and will easily get through that.

tulle-found in any craft or fabric store in the wedding section, sold in squares, rounds or by the roll.

I dose my shrimp tanks with Excel every other day with no ill effects to my shrimp. Amano can go with other shrimp-but make sure you will have enough food for both or I can see the amanos going cannibal.

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 02:24 PM
I agree it won't stop shrimp-posibly woman's nylon type fabric or tulle placed over the vents would, but not that netting. Fry are tiny and will easily get through that.

tulle-found in any craft or fabric store in the wedding section, sold in squares, rounds or by the roll.

I dose my shrimp tanks with Excel every other day with no ill effects to my shrimp. Amano can go with other shrimp-but make sure you will have enough food for both or I can see the amanos going cannibal.

Tule would possibly be an idea if I can't find window screen, Walmart may have some but probably sold by the yard lol I only need a little bit! Could probably get them to cut down to a quarter but doubt they'd do less than that. I don't see nylon working in this particular instance unfortunately I've thought about it and can't figure a way to make it work, I slips too much and I can't just stretch it over the intake.

Thank you for the info on Excel! As well as the tip on Amanos going canabalistic. I'd have never thought shrimp would do that except maybe on dead friends!

Boundava
05-15-2017, 02:54 PM
You have a JoAnn's or Michael's? I know they sell it in squares or with JoAnn's by the yard-maybe even 1/2 yard. They will cut it in store.

UserName
05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Another thing you may try is polyfil. The stuff that's used for quilting. I know some people use it in their filters to polish the water. I can't imagine anything besides water getting through that.

Boundava
05-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Won't really fit in the spec V. The filter is kinda like a modified HMF-sponge filter only. Pump pulls water in the slots and out the nozzle. Lovely concept-Sis has one and has cleaned the filter 2 times in the past 4 years. Of course its housing a betta, some amanos and a mystery snail-but 2 year filter maintenance is pretty cool.

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 10:45 PM
You have a JoAnn's or Michael's? I know they sell it in squares or with JoAnn's by the yard-maybe even 1/2 yard. They will cut it in store.
Lol I wish! I'm 200 miles away from any big name stores besides Walmart. That's no joke, I literally live in the middle of no where in northern Nevada. And honestly this Walmart is one of the worst I've seen when it comes to anything beyond basic grocery shopping.

We've got a couple ranch and home stores and a Big R, and the lfs is in basically the back area of the garage for a glass shop and shares its space with a dog groomer. Next petstore, 200+ miles away.

I have to know what I'm looking for and order online or get creative with what I can get hold of to do what I want lol.

I'm actually probably going to make my own stand for my 55 gallon I'm planning because my car just doesn't transport furniture, my suburban is old and costs upwards of $80 (and probably a roadside repair) to run "to town" and I sincerely cannot convince myself to buy one sight unseen online and pay several hundred plus shipping.

It's an interesting place to be to aquarium! My sister and I luckily are pretty creative though and can come up with lots of ways to modify stuff and I'm kinda handy so sometimes that's useful lol.

I think I'll try the bath foof for immediate arrival and when I redo the tank I'll see what kind of more permanent solution I can come up with. In the meantime I'll keep after checking the filter for lost shrimp.

Maybe I can just order another large enough sponge and force it to fit in area above the sponge and behind the overflow nice and tight. Like some cotton filter foam, I know that is often available an inch of more thick and in large pieces I could probably cut to suit. Think that would work? At least well enough that I can worry less about lost shrimp? Maybe to do one or two filter checks a week instead of daily? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/8d801544ef16e1444bcd0eb582a22edd.jpg

mermaidwannabe
05-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Since your original purpose for having shrimp in that tank is to help clean up the diatoms, why would you not want Nerite snails in there, too? They're great at helping clean up most kinds of algaes, and they work on diatoms, too. I would add several more Nerite snails to assist the shrimp in the clean-up. You were saying something about their egg laying being disgusting? They only lay eggs in brackish water, if I remember correctly. If you want good housekeeping in between tank maintenance, I would go with both the shrimp and the Nerites.

RiversGirl
05-15-2017, 11:35 PM
I'll try to find some window screen at one of the ranch supply stores here!

If the holes are not too large (which I'm unsure if they are or not) then I'm wondering if you could try those screen patches that are sold to make screen repairs with. Perhaps even layering three or so, slightly off centered from one another. You'd still need to determine how to hold it, but those might serve this purpose.

That nylon mesh you are considering is just as likely to collect yummy stuff that invites the shrimp to come closer and graze. They will easily pass through it.

sfsamm
05-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Since your original purpose for having shrimp in that tank is to help clean up the diatoms, why would you not want Nerite snails in there, too? They're great at helping clean up most kinds of algaes, and they work on diatoms, too. I would add several more Nerite snails to assist the shrimp in the clean-up. You were saying something about their egg laying being disgusting? They only lay eggs in brackish water, if I remember correctly. If you want good housekeeping in between tank maintenance, I would go with both the shrimp and the Nerites.

Nope I promise they lay eggs in freshwater, I have them in a couple tanks, eggs just don't hatch unless brackish. And the two in this particular tank have become quite the lovebirds and lay nearly impossible to remove eggs on everything... Plants, glass, gravel, wood, airline, powerhead, in between the slats of the overflow... And most of them do NOT come off in any easy or convenient fashion. It's almost a tear down and scrub with a razor blade on those of them on the glass. Everything else they lay on... Well... There's not the option of a razor removal so they gather until I've had it and toss the item.

Here's a photo in the ones that are easy to see in photo against the black gravel. But they have done this all over the tank. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/20dd98a72fa0c0626839869f6f34f893.jpg

RiversGirl
05-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Good suggestion to add the nerite snails in this tank.

They only lay eggs in brackish water, if I remember correctly.

Their eggs only hatch in brackish water. They still lay the eggs in fresh water, those eggs just don't hatch -- so you would not need to worry over a population boom. Still, the eggs will remain for a long while.

Slaphppy7
05-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Quite correct, the only reason I'll never have nerites

I find the eggs that will sit there forever "Aesthetically Unpleasing", to put it mildly...

sfsamm
05-16-2017, 01:21 AM
If the holes are not too large (which I'm unsure if they are or not) then I'm wondering if you could try those screen patches that are sold to make screen repairs with. Perhaps even layering three or so, slightly off centered from one another. You'd still need to determine how to hold it, but those might serve this purpose.

That nylon mesh you are considering is just as likely to collect yummy stuff that invites the shrimp to come closer and graze. They will easily pass through it.
Your probably right I imagine, shrimp are scavengers to a point lol they'll go check out yummies on whatever I use.

And this tank holds a quite prominent position in my house (hence why I got this particular tank instead of something less expensive) and the nerites are making it an eyesore. So they have to move out. They've been in the tank since it's inception and have only recently gotten really bad with the eggs in much to obvious of places that completely detract from the clean look required of this tank.

The nerites will move to another tank as I appriciate their algae skills but they definitely don't "prefer" diatoms, they actually seem to avoid them and stick with regular old biofilm. I've never had much luck with them keeping up with a sudden outbreak either seems once it's established they'd rather stick to the film... They will munch a path through it though but they don't hang out in a patch on visible algae for long in any of my tanks.

sfsamm
05-16-2017, 05:02 AM
So as I sit here at work on an exceptionally slow night... I'm trying to work out plants for the shrimp shack...

I'm stumped, like I'm not sure where to begin. Stock light is on the high end of medium and I have excel and root tabs in hand but won't be using co2 injection.

Tank measurement is (I believe) 11"x7" and depending on substrate depth but I've got from glass to top of tank 9" so prefer something that tops out before then or is trimmable like a micranthemum too stay below the surface. I have a crypt wendtii I love in this tank and some ludia I'd like to keep, I'll eventually snag some Christmas moss from my sister (she juuuuuuust trimmed and started new spots with hers so it'll be a bit).

What are some shrimpy favorites? I'd prefer too go one of two routes fast growing and inexpensive easy to get to bide time until more desirable plants grow out or something I can plant very heavily from the get go and reduce as necessary down the road.

I'd like to be sure to provide plenty of hides as well as swimming area. I'd like to avoid a huge hardscape. And I definitely don't want to go with anything that requires special care outside of what I currently have on hand. I don't want to upgrade lights or add co2 basically.

Also I been looking for some type of ceramic type shrimp hides (like those little cubes) that won't be intrusive to the plants growth.

I'll also be out in the big city and can hit a couple places that have some great rock for aquariums and am curious as to what a shrimp favorite is? I can't use anything that will harden my water or raise my ph as I already run ph of 8.0-8.2 consistently and have hard water, though I haven't measured kh and gh to date.... Should I get a kit for those just to have solid numbers?

Can I steer away from dw for shrimp? I've had a scape in mind for a while that I am pretty simple that I could possibly modify the type of stone I was going to use for something that shrimp will prefer. That and this tank is difficult to find a great piece of dw that actually fits because it's so narrow, so I'd like to focus more on a plants and stone scape and obviously shrimp comfort. Also I think that the Christmas moss will be phenomenal if I can get it to grow out over a stone based scape.

I was going to put in another plant order for my Congo build but decided to wait until I know what I want for the shrimp tank.

Also... Do shrimp need sand? Or are they OK with a large portion of the tank having a gravel cap? I'm happy to provide an open sandy area for them if necessary but would like to use a smaller smooth gravel if it won't hinder them.

Also are there any dwarf crypts similar to wendtii? Before diatoms in this tank I had the most gorgeous color in my wendtii and I'd love to get something very similar that would remain smaller as the wendtii caps the height on the tank and I really can't add another to the tank unless I went with specifically wendtii and changed my idea entirely to accommodate it and ludia alone as a backscape and come up with something to keep the front of the tank interesting but simple.

I'm positive I've rambled long enough and still forgotten half of what I wanted to say lol fire away ideas or questions. I'm starting to get excited for these guys to arrive!

RiversGirl
05-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Have you seen these?

http://www.hanaquatics.com/shrimp-shelters-caves/

I use his ss prefilters (as do many members here) and love them. He has good customer service and I've found his prices to be fair, his products to be solid. The items he makes are high quality, with attention to detail.

SueD
05-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Shrimp love moss which is also great for shrimp babies to hide in, or even the adults as they molt. But they will adapt to anything that provides some coverage. I have two Spec V's with fish and shrimp. One has a central piece of driftwood covered with java fern and anubias. I also have a small bit of cyperus helferi, and tried another stem plant. But the substrate isn't deep enough in this tank as my focus was going to be the covered driftwood.

My other tank has crypt wendtii, hygrophilia compact, dwarf saggitaria, and a small piece of driftwood with anubias. There is also christmas moss and subwassertang in this tank, which I have recently trimmed extensively. The mosses grow wild for me in here. Here's a before and after of this tank, and one of the other Spec with java fern

Boundava
05-16-2017, 01:44 PM
So as I sit here at work on an exceptionally slow night... I'm trying to work out plants for the shrimp shack...

I'm stumped, like I'm not sure where to begin. Stock light is on the high end of medium and I have excel and root tabs in hand but won't be using co2 injection.

Tank measurement is (I believe) 11"x7" and depending on substrate depth but I've got from glass to top of tank 9" so prefer something that tops out before then or is trimmable like a micranthemum too stay below the surface. I have a crypt wendtii I love in this tank and some ludia I'd like to keep, I'll eventually snag some Christmas moss from my sister (she juuuuuuust trimmed and started new spots with hers so it'll be a bit).

What are some shrimpy favorites? I'd prefer too go one of two routes fast growing and inexpensive easy to get to bide time until more desirable plants grow out or something I can plant very heavily from the get go and reduce as necessary down the road.

Shrimp like all plants, the choices you have are good. The xmas moss may go crazy in the tank-but shrimp love it.

I'd like to be sure to provide plenty of hides as well as swimming area. I'd like to avoid a huge hardscape. And I definitely don't want to go with anything that requires special care outside of what I currently have on hand. I don't want to upgrade lights or add co2 basically.

Also I been looking for some type of ceramic type shrimp hides (like those little cubes) that won't be intrusive to the plants growth.

You can use those, but shrimp will use the moss as a hide and the plants as well. Other than decor, I don't see a need for them unless you like the look in the tank.

I'll also be out in the big city and can hit a couple places that have some great rock for aquariums and am curious as to what a shrimp favorite is? I can't use anything that will harden my water or raise my ph as I already run ph of 8.0-8.2 consistently and have hard water, though I haven't measured kh and gh to date.... Should I get a kit for those just to have solid numbers?

Serio/dragon stone would work, petrified wood will too, lava rocks will work as well and any other inert rock like basalt, agate,
even quartz will work.

Can I steer away from dw for shrimp? I've had a scape in mind for a while that I am pretty simple that I could possibly modify the type of stone I was going to use for something that shrimp will prefer. That and this tank is difficult to find a great piece of dw that actually fits because it's so narrow, so I'd like to focus more on a plants and stone scape and obviously shrimp comfort. Also I think that the Christmas moss will be phenomenal if I can get it to grow out over a stone based scape.

DW isn't necessary but the breakdown of the DW provides some food for the shrimp (baby's too). You can add leaf litter or other plant matter to the tank like cholla wood. The resulting biofilm that grows on these products is the best natural food for the shrimp. Spiderwood can ofter be found in smaller sizes and narrow enough for the SpecV. Sis has one (SpecV) with spiderwod and quartz rock in it, its a dirted tank and also has a beta and amano shrim with a mystery snail.

I was going to put in another plant order for my Congo build but decided to wait until I know what I want for the shrimp tank.

Also... Do shrimp need sand? Or are they OK with a large portion of the tank having a gravel cap? I'm happy to provide an open sandy area for them if necessary but would like to use a smaller smooth gravel if it won't hinder them.

They can go with gravel but the issue is that they are sensitive to water parameters and gravel makes it easy for food and waste to get trapped-sand is denser and so this waste will sit on top for water changes. IMO and experience a fine gravel like substance is harder to maintain.
I have a round volcanic ash pellet as substrate right now and its a PITA to keep clean. When I upgrade the 5.5 gallon tanks to 10 gallon I will be using sand instead.

Also are there any dwarf crypts similar to wendtii? Before diatoms in this tank I had the most gorgeous color in my wendtii and I'd love to get something very similar that would remain smaller as the wendtii caps the height on the tank and I really can't add another to the tank unless I went with specifically wendtii and changed my idea entirely to accommodate it and ludia alone as a backscape and come up with something to keep the front of the tank interesting but simple.

Lucens, becketti, cordata, albida, wakerii are some options in crypts. For a taller grass plant Cyperus Helferi is a neat option-slow grower but it does get larger than 9" (8"-20") This site is a good place to look at plants and get a basic idea overview on them. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=136

I'm positive I've rambled long enough and still forgotten half of what I wanted to say lol fire away ideas or questions. I'm starting to get excited for these guys to arrive!

Hope this helps a bit, IME Neocaridina shrimp like pH closer to 7, part of the reason I tried the volcanic soil as my tap is pH of 7.8.

BTW here are my two 5.5 shrimp tanks, I have buce, subwasertang and blyxa in them. The DW is spiderwood, though its 2 months old the video will give you an idea of the tanks. BTW algae is under control now, lol.

https://youtu.be/FhNIDfjgIFs

sfsamm
05-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Thank you Boundava and SueD! Lots of ideas and experiences to look at! I looked a bit before heading to work and if I get a chance I'll be on it tonight too.... Looks like a busy night coming though!

I didn’t see buse on any of the sites I go to for ordering plants, I'd like to take a closer look at it and pricing, any recommendations where to find it?

sfsamm
05-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Have you seen these?

http://www.hanaquatics.com/shrimp-shelters-caves/

I use his ss prefilters (as do many members here) and love them. He has good customer service and I've found his prices to be fair, his products to be solid. The items he makes are high quality, with attention to detail.
Dear Lord..... How have I NEVER seen this site before! Thank you I see hours of my future spent browsing based on my brief glance at it earlier! [emoji4]

Boundava
05-17-2017, 03:09 AM
Thank you Boundava and SueD! Lots of ideas and experiences to look at! I looked a bit before heading to work and if I get a chance I'll be on it tonight too.... Looks like a busy night coming though!

I didn’t see buse on any of the sites I go to for ordering plants, I'd like to take a closer look at it and pricing, any recommendations where to find it?
I made a purchase here. Almost all of the buce in the red shrimp tank is from there.
https://buceplant.com/collections/plants

Han has a nice selection of buce and shrimp supplies too.

sfsamm
05-17-2017, 04:52 AM
So, in rearranging a few things preparing for arrival of shrimp, I'm curious of 6 CPDs would do alright in the 5 gallon with the shrimp?
The betta is moving in with my sons platies which I don't think will be an issue for them. I have a backup plan for him if it goes south, but he could also (maybe, he's a pretty lazy) help with fry population control. Currently its a 10 gallon with only a male and a female platy... The gross love bird nerites will also be joining this tank permanently lol.

The six CPDs from my searches seem like they're fine for permanent housing in the five with the shrimp, mostly caution about eating shrimp fry. Which although not ideal doesn't bother me much. Currently they're in with some zebra danios and I never see them. Pretty little things and since there's only 6 and they stay so small I felt like they might feel more secure with less bully zebras, more plants and a smaller tank... I just wonder if the five gallon is too small?

Slaphppy7
05-17-2017, 11:50 AM
5G is fine for 6 CPD's.

Mine never bothered my shrimp.

sfsamm
05-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Well that's exciting for me! They shall move in the day I move out Steve the betta. Hopefully I will get to see see them much more often lol or at least find for headcount a bit easier lol

Slaphppy7
05-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Yes, they are beautiful little fish, but IMO need to be in a smaller tank to be viewed best.

I had mine in a 29G, much too big of a tank, if they weren't right up front I couldn't appreciate them like I would in a smaller tank.

Mine didn't live long, for some reason.

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Alright so... Revamped the tank. Again lol...

Looking for opinions on which moss to add, moss is for the shrimps and I'm thinking primarily on the dw on the right and a smaller amount for dw center.

I don't particularly care for the look of java moss, personal preference. This tank is basically in the center of my house and highly viewable so it's gotta be something that grows in nicely. Love the fissidens (any var I've found) and besides that and Star moss I can't really tell what the difference is in photos online.

Also, I'm up for opinions on how to improve the tank hardscape! Brand new scape tonight.

Shrimps arrive TOMORROW and the CPD will go in the tank in the morning!! Sans any last minute changes. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/7f3345ab5d9529999ba00a21d55faa03.jpg

mac
05-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Tanks looking really cool.
Have you thought about a black background??

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Actually I probably will finally put a background on this one. And definitely black as this (stuff from around house) lol really improves it!

Thanks for the idea! I'll have to get looking for something! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/b8d823acce5c671e5fd216cd6611ebe9.jpg

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Something as simple as black posterboard on the back of the tank would make a big difference in the way it appears.

I got away from mosses, found them to be too messy for my liking, but have a look at subwassertang

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 04:13 PM
I've gotten a valuable hint from a shrimp keeping competition loving aquascaping acquaintance this morning on a couple quick easy suggestions for changes. I'll post an update on it in a few for additional input.

I'm SOOOooo happy to hear other and imo better options than moss. Moss seems messy to me too and I've always avoided it as I can tell it'd be one of those things I just tear out in frustration. Basically thought it was the quick method to shrimp happy... Now I know I don't have to do that to myself!

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Alright here's updated photos and I'll probably steer clear of moss and go with something low growing (maybe even my teeny anubias) for the foreground something for shrimps to hide in that's not moss. I'll have to look into the substerwag (I'm not sure spelling was mentioned above) I've heard of it but can't place it visually today. (sister wedding tomorrow is dominating thought today)

Front view
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/8ef1b9883674315edd8575051b68e7cb.jpg

Side view (highly visible in the house like the front
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/ef71c06473c922635cd7cd7939395494.jpg

"Ludia" which I think is some kind of crypt and my tiny anubias that I'll either leave as is or tie to stones to place on top of the foreground sands.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/03ba1938ad1dd2e894ec1c75aa86004c.jpg

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Subwassertang

https://www.google.com/search?q=subwassertang&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP9qPAwvzTAhUCilQKHb43C_oQ_AUICigB&biw=1120&bih=552

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 06:46 PM
What is this? It must be a hitchhiker from new stone and dw, two days in a bucket without treatment and poring boiling water over them didn't kill it... As I took photos I saw it get sucked into the filter but I doubt that'll kill it if the above didn't. Only worried if it'll hurt my NW shrimps. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/fb34c7a012c5305595490423b08473ab.jpg

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Are you talking about the white fluffy stuff?....if so, probably what we refer to as "driftwood snot"...harmless, will eventually go away on it's own...some fish and snails will eat it, lol

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Lol no that stuff I'm well versed in lol it's not a white fluffy... It's a swimming wormish looking something that squiggles swims too fast for me to see well or photo, that's the only photo (of about 40) that you could at least see it lol

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:16 PM
On another note! They are here!!!
The company I ordered from, happy to share privately if anyone is interested.... It phenomenal, my sister has 12 CPDs all alive and our total shrimps 20 each amano and RCS all alive as well as my sisters three ottos and three assassin, unfortunately two deaths on the ottos but everything else alive and very healthy! One dead amano but still received alive and well more than we'd ordered so it didn't count in my book lol.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/db3c42287af96909eca55ae8aa1acf53.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/302a030e2c37e4fe970c94476d934cdb.jpg

My CPDs are still in hiding with my zebra danios, my sister had to leave yesterday for assistance to a bridezilla for tomorrow's wedding so all of her stock is in this tank for a few days

mac
05-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Ottos can be notoriously touchy to ship and keep. More so in young unmatured tanks

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the new fish/shrimp...I wish I could get a better look at the intruder, maybe a video?

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Ottos can be notoriously touchy to ship and keep. More so in young unmatured tanks
Yes we know. She has a large and mature tank and has had a very very hard time getting them. Can't get them locally, we occasionally find them in town 200 miles away, and actually transport in a 5 gallon tank as no dice getting survival from the drive otherwise. Since we were putting the order in for shrimps and her CPDs she again ordered some ottos... For her 22 long she's going to finally have three with the one new guy... We finally got the first two, by picking up literally the last one in aquarium stores over the past few months in two separate occasions and transporting in a tank rather than a bag.

Very difficult as rural as we are to get them home alive. These guys were shipped and in my tank in just about 18.5 hours and we still lost two of the three. Third looks great though!

mac
05-19-2017, 08:43 PM
I completly under stand that issue of being out of the main districts for transportation.

For me it's the same issues.
Though personally I only get issues transporting corydoras. For me they need to be seperatly baged they end getting stabbed by their mates in the same bag.

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Holy crap... I had dead Ottos in the pitcher (bag water from shipment) and just went to dump the pitcher and put them in the garden... One was attached to the side! So he just got placed in the tank... He looks really really really bad but he came around, who knows maybe he did make it after all. [emoji33]
The other is super dead, like starting to fall apart dead, maybe even dead when he started the trip dead lol he's now in the garden while zombie fish gets a chance to come through his troubles.

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Congrats on the new fish/shrimp...I wish I could get a better look at the intruder, maybe a video?
If I see it again absolutely... I saw him end up sucked into the filter but if boiling water being poured over everything and two days in chlorinated water didn't kill it I doubt that the sponge in my filter will and he'd probably transit through the pump and back into the tank no worse for wear too. Definitely keeping my eye out.

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 09:19 PM
And I just have to say getting this shipment today, even though I'm currently way over stocked having my sisters stuff also.... I feel like it's Christmas I even met the UPS driver at his truck lol heard him coming down the road and waited at the end of the driveway for him. He got a good giggle out of it.

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Sadly, I doubt any of those otos make it...mortality rate for them is very high, especially when shipped...they're usually stressed and starving to begin with

Though some are tank bred nowadays, most are still wild caught...then, the long journey to the LFS...then most likely not acclimated correctly, or put into tanks with no algae to eat...these fish eat ALL of the time, if there's no algae, they starve

Check this vid of how they are caught in the wild, these are the "affini" variety in Venezuela...look how green that water is, algae "heaven"...what do you think they rest of their journey will be like?...after being handled like this, then thrown into clear algae-free water...for who knows how long until they reach the LFS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnitMs1LRk

There's only one "intruder"?...thought there was more

sfsamm
05-19-2017, 10:32 PM
There's only one "intruder"?...thought there was more

Only ONE that I saw.

Slaphppy7
05-19-2017, 11:45 PM
I need video.

I'm afraid hope you don't have a dragonfly or damselfly nymph...they can cause some serious issues

Warning: the following vid not for the feint of heart, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5wsoycsqI

Also, have a look here: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

sfsamm
05-21-2017, 06:19 AM
After looking at the link, haven't gotten to the video yet as I'm uploading one... But I've seen nematodes before and looked a bit fatter than I remember them to be but acted like them... Never seen or had planaria and I don't think it's that either.... Didn't seem to act as described in my brief chance to look but based on the physical descriptions alone... It was a fatty Nematode or something between Nematode and planaria size wise.

sfsamm
05-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Actually yes very much not for feint of heart lol but super fascinating video... I wish it gave more of a size ratio there... No idea what size the larva is? Do they coil around zigzag swim like nematodes or not? Thing in my tank definitely swam like Nematode but seemed too large to me.

Slaphppy7
05-21-2017, 03:18 PM
From the vids I've seen, they don't swim, mainly just crawl around...maybe it's a mayfly larvae?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iIOUEvzVs

sfsamm
05-21-2017, 09:23 PM
So far the two otos are doing great. I took them to the algae bloom before leaving town for the night and they are munching away at it and the one I'd initially thought had passed is actually doing well. Still thin but has his color and spunk back and is improving by leaps and bounds.

As for the larva or Nematode or whatever it is/was I've seen no signs of anything since. And I've been watching this tank like a hawk due to other issues with the shipment (different thread) I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't either a one off critter or my imagination. I'm sure I'll spy it again if it's around.