PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about cories

angelcraze2
05-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Hey there all you corydora lovers! I've wanted to keep cories for the longest time and I now have a chance to buy some orange laser cory adults off a friend of mine. They were breeding in his 40g long HEAVILY planted jungle with co2. He lost a few since he got them second hand. He hasn't seen any eggs since he lost the few. He recently moved all the remainders to an 18g with two juvies. Still no eggs. I think there are 5 of them left, not sure.

So either he has all the same sex left, or they don't feel like breeding. I have one baby in my 10g. I'm thinking about buying the five off him (because he's losing interest) and see if they'll breed again for me.

I have a tank planned, and wonder what you all think. The tank is a 40g tall (20"). It's bare-bottom. I grow out young angelfish in this tank. Since the cories are used to such a jungle, (the 18g is not as jungly tho) and they like to rest under plants, I was thinking about making java fern 'caves'. Maybe attaching them to mesh and keeping them raised so the cories can hide under them, like a raised carpet.

The one baby cory I have does fine in a bare-bottom tank, and I'd rather keep it that way for ease of cleaning, but I can consider adding a small layer of sand and making rock caves with java fern around the dishes of soil capped with gravel. I could make 2 islands kind of.

The temp is usually kept at 78°f, sometimes 80° which I also know is a bit warm for them, so if it's not meant to be, I'll just give him my little baby instead and keep them all in his 18g.

I included a pic of the tank I'm thinking of. Thoughts? That thing at the top by the filters is a floating piece of DW steering the water output across the surface of the water instead of dumping in on one side only.

I also have a baby pleco tank, it has a 18" × 18" footprint and is shallow at 10" and is covered with bolbitis. It presently has blue gravel, but I really don't mind changing that out for sand 😉. I could lower the temp to 76° or so as well. I would just need a new tank to grow out plecos! I don't think the two can coexist well territorially-speaking?

I'll add an airstone, probably sponge filter to add oxygen since the tank is a bit high too.

What do you think? Could it work? Or should I just give up on keeping laser cories.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/cb3abf34f49caf8d0b0eaea4da235a43.jpg

Slaphppy7
05-12-2017, 04:30 PM
They'd be fine in the 20H, I would think.

My plecos and corys do just fine together, too.

angelcraze2
05-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Ty Slap! It's a 40g high though. The other tank is only a 12g I think with a big footprint. I think I'll go with the 40g, there's a male pleco in there too, but I could move him if he gets aggressive for territory.

angelcraze2
05-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Because this 40g is a grow out tank, I do WCs often and use the water from this tank to WC my fry tanks. So it will at least get periodic small daily WCs on top of the regular scheduled ones. When I do a WC for the fry tanks, I don't have to heat up the replacement water, so daily small WCs with cooler water to hopefully push them to breed again. Idk, that's the plan. I'll keep the tank bare-bottom unless someone tells me I really should add sand. I'm gonna work on seeing this tank up for them this weekend hopefully :)

Slaphppy7
05-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Ty Slap! It's a 40g high though. The other tank is only a 12g I think with a big footprint. I think I'll go with the 40g, there's a male pleco in there too, but I could move him if he gets aggressive for territory.

Even better.

steeler58
05-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Cory's would be fine in this tank, anytime you find any of the laser species; get them ;-)

https://youtu.be/Nv7xvWHd8Zo