PDA

View Full Version : What made you start keeping aquariums

William
02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Thought I should ask everybody what made them start keeping tropical fishes and aquariums in the first place?

My story is that I started very young. I caught crabs and small fishes and kept in buckets and at the age of five got my first aquarium. A marine aquarium where I kept small seahorses I caught. Surprisingly enough successfully but then we went on family vacation and disaster struck. As a result I got my first freshwater fishes. Neontetras, Bettas, platy and Kribs. It has just kept on going with more and larger aquariums ever since then. And now I fish site ;-)

Neptune
02-10-2005, 02:42 AM
I think it all began when I kept crayfish in large bins outdoors during the summer as a kid. Then seeing fish in the stores while visiting pet shops piqued my interest more. My first "aquarium" was just a 1 or 2 gallon container with an air pump. Soon after that I got a 20 gallon and had fish for quite a few years. Some of my platies even accidentally bred, and produced a unique color variant in the offspring.

A common pleco (my biggest beginner mistake) ended up growing way too large for the tank, and pretty much destroyed it and the other inhabitants. I couldn't even give it away, until finally I gave the tank away to anyone who would take the pleco too. Someone who had a larger tank took both off my hands, and that was the end of my fishkeeping for a while.

Over 10 years later (last year), my girlfriend bought me a 2.5 gal. as a gift. My interest was renewed, and now I have a 2.5, two 10s, a 29 and a 40 gal. tank with a wide variety of fish. Sometime this year I hope to get a 75 gallon tank set up.

Komar
03-21-2005, 10:38 PM
I had some fish when I was really young; I dunno what happened to them or the tank, or the bowl I picked up a few years later...

When I was a teenager, I got into turtles and lizards. My brother, on the other hand, got into fish. We both kept our types of respective pets on and off until about the turn of the millenia. (I still have some of our old equipment in use today.)

I picked up a 20 gallon starter kit for my son for Christmas in 2003. I decided to get some cheap fish, since turtles and lizards were less active (not much fun for a one-and-a-half-year-old to watch).

That spring, I bought a 10 gallon tank, then later grabbed my bro's old 45 gallon tank, to grow local tadpoles. After releasing them once they grew to little frogs, I set up the tanks for fish. The hobby kind of escalated from there.

I now have seven tanks up and running with fish, and some dwarf frogs.

lpstong
12-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I always kept or tried to keep a goldfish. That was my gateway fish. When I had my daughter She was always fascinated with different fish. We often go to fish stores and whatnot and always try and find new things to put in our tanks. And so her and her uncle have kept several aquariums together. He even had a 50 gallon tank with a piranha. He would buy the food for it and had her feed it.

nick_cave
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I started keeping fish at the age of ten (parents suport me), i got in posession of my father's tank (he keept one in his teens), not a very big jus a standart 20 l all glass, and started with Guppy a trio, and one Aneus cory (nice to clean the bottom). The guys thrive and the guppys gave me more and more fry to give my friends (that was great, i was the great fish dealer in my neighbourhood).

My main dificult was space, i had to get a larger tank... and then other fish... and well the new guys on the block, also needed more space (snow ball effect).

Rage_A_Holic
01-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I first Started with a 33Gallon, tank with one Common Pleco, and 2 Hap Moorii. i soon added 2 Venustus, and 2 Zebra. before long I realized that my tank was far over stocked. I soon moved up to my 133 Gallon. I kept the 33 as my Moorii, my Venustus, and my Ahli were all breeding. and I use it as a baby grow out tank. I now also have a 40 Gallon in our kitchen. and I am planing on moving up to a 300+ Gallon in the near future.

I since have gotten rid of most of my fish, as I have fallen in love with Oscars, and they are seriously large fish. and even the 2 of them are nearly maxing out my 133Gallon. Im looking to move them, some silver dollars, some redhook silver dollars, some severums, and maybe a something else into a very large tank. looking for suggestions if anyone else has any. :)

Full3R
01-08-2006, 10:21 AM
My first tank was a small 1 gallon plastic tank and i kept a single sucking catfish in it (at the time i was like 4) i then later got into brids for a couple of years.

then in the year 2002 i began to breed Cherax Destructor (Ausralian Blue-Claw Yabby) and later i went to the pet shop to pick up sum chook pellets for the crays and noticed the large fantail goldfish they had i then got my mums old octagonal tank which holds about 14 litres of water, or any other liquid desired :P. but i then kept several small goldfish in that, until, the Tropicals caught my eye, i then upgraded the goldfish to a 4 foot tank that holds about 52 US gallons of water, and purchased sevral guppies, an Angel, Plattys, and a Bristlenose catfish, and some others
after a year or so of keeping them they all eventually past away when we had a power out and the heater went off for ages, i now currently have goldfish in the 52 gallon tank, a 7 inch Oscar and a green severum of the same size, a 2.5 inch white gourami, 2.5 blue gourami, a 7 inch blue gourami, 2.5 inch red tiger oscar, 1.5 inch pink oscar, and a 4 inch black ghost knife fish in a 4 gallon tank till they grow, a bowl with a 2 blue yabbies in it, a smaller 2 gallon tank with a blue yabby, and more fish but talk about them later :)

BigFutch
02-26-2006, 05:01 PM
"My" first tank was actually an open 10 gallon that was purchased for my son as a Christmas present 4 years ago. After a lot of conversations with neighbors and co-workers who had tanks, I ended up with an extremely crowded 10 gallon community tank that had about 15 assorted fish in it. :D At that point I was hooked, and it was no longer just my son's tank. About a year and half later, I came upon and unbeleiveable deal for (2) used 55 gallon tanks with all of the equipment for about $300 US. (2) moves later, I still have these (3) tanks and looking to add another in the 120 gallon range, built within a wall. I just need to finish my basement!! :P

pedsdoc
03-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I grew up in a family with 5 kids (4 boys) and we had about every kind of animal you can imagine. We had several attempts at keeping an aquarium with various types of fish. Usually, after 8-10 months the interest went away and algae or some other thing took over. I even had a friend in H.S. that had a beautiful Oscar tank and he tried to get me "hooked".
Fast foraward to present- I am a small town doc and wanted to put in an aquarium for a while. I think it is mainly stress relief for me. I think the care and maintenance will have a calming effect, and being able to sit and unwind during lunch will add "years" to my life. I chose Discus due to interest (lots of reading) and that they are such tranquil fish. I do plan to have plants as well, but am picking slow-growing varieties that don't need too much light (and, please, no CO2 system!). I'm going to start small (30 gal) and plan to move up as my fish grow.
I really don't want to mess up. So, send positive vibes my way!

rollie
03-15-2006, 03:21 PM
.how i got into fish? the grade 4 teacher give my younger sister some fancy guppys. they all die, but that starting me in fish. igot some fish books and staring reading. my first book was exotic aquarium fishes by dr. william t. innes. that book is still one of my favorites. and look at me now, over 50 tanks and still growing.

MudBlood
03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
My story started when I was about five.... (dreamy music starts) My parents got my sister and I a 4" tank which had a vast selection of guppies and neon tetras, about a year later I went yabbieing and caught a yabbie, which over time went a lovely bright blue, can't remember what happened to that tank and it's contents, but now I have a vast selection of tanks and about 60 fish in total.

Have plans on getting more, just need to get the house extentions done first...

Mud.

Tim
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I got a fish in a bowl for my birthday from a friend named Bridget. You made my life bridget THANK YOU!!!!!!!! LOL Now i am hooked on fish and i cant stop LOL

macd
03-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Had a few goldfish as a kid - mostly from fairgrounds. Never lasted very long.

In about 2000 My girlfriend (now my wife) bought me a 10L coldwater hexagonal plastic tank which I set up with fantails and then zebra danios. Eventualy I replaced the plastic plant with a live one. My filter system was an under gravel system. Very nice set up which we both wanted to expand on.

For a birthday, Christmas or something my wife bought me a 70G freshwater tropical tank (no need to go into the stuff involved with this). Set this up using mollies - then had a very active tank with a variety of different fish and learned a lot about fish communities.

We moved in 2003 and the small tank was given to a friend in London - the big tank came with us and sat in the loft until just over a month ago.

I got this out of the loft and cleaned it - then spent over 200 on re-setting this up.

I now have a lovely tank with two red tailed sharks, two clown loaches, 1 plecko, 4 neon tetras, 1 black neon and 5 cardinal tetras.

Syn
04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmm I cant say exactly what caught my interest, ive been a sort of animal person for years. I think it was an attempt by my mother to see if my little brother and i were responsible enough for a pet, so i was bought a goldfish, and my brother got a rather large catchfish, id say like 4" long. At the time we were told and actually believed that tap water was fine to use. Didnt tell us we had to treat it first. Resulted with a dead fish.

Lost my interest in fish then, didnt own any, but we ended up moving up to pennsylvania, and my brother in law and sister in law had a tank, id guess a 2-4 g tank, with many neon tetras, couple other fish, and the one that caught my attention, a Siamese Fighting Fish. They ended up giving us the tank because all their fish died, a result of fungus i think. My mother and brother reestablished that tank, but it didnt last too long.

With the exception of a dog, who died last year, killed by local dogs, and a cat, which we werent allowed to bring in our move, and the scorpion i had caught and kept, my interest was all but gone from fish. At least it seemed so, though i did enjoy stopping at the local walmart and looking at what they had there, and hated seeing the bettas jarred like they were and in such poor health. Then about 3 days ago i decided to Buy a betta, and using what i knew from animals in general, and about the fish itself, picked the most active, healthy one. Mistakenly bought one of those slightly larger than the cup "tanks" they had there and some food, decided i was against keeping him there, and dug out another aquarium we had, cleaned it all up, set it up, and using bottled distilled water (found out after it wasnt good to use, though my betta seemed to thrive in it oddly.) The little guy, whom i havent named yet, went nuts exploring, I was happy to see him enjoying his new larger home. Too a coconut shell i had and whittled on it with a knife, to remove anything that could hurt him, and set it in there, which gave him his favorite place to relax when he isnt watching tv and such with me. Looking into getting him a ghost shrimp companion in the future.

crackatinny
02-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Me and the wife babysat my nephews dogs, cat, bird, and fish while he went on holidays, in this time his convicts had fry, I said to him as a payment I want a few of them, he gave us 5.

Now after just 3 months we have 4 tanks with variouse fish, and awaiting our 500litre (120GAL) to be built.
My nephew laughs at us now, he still only has 2 tanks, but he say's, "I told you it would become an addiction" LOL

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2007, 01:10 PM
500 gallon? You need to build it in the house. How will you carry it or get it in the door? LOL

crackatinny
02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
500 gallon? You need to build it in the house. How will you carry it or get it in the door? LOL

WOOPS, I wish, 500litre sorry, 120 GAL:11:

kimmers318
02-09-2007, 01:24 PM
My 5 yr old wanted to buy a fish tank with her Xmas $ in 05. She started with a stupid glo in the dark one with UGF, in 2 days it was so murky you couldn't see the fish, so I returned it and threw in the difference to get a 5 gal corner eclipse system. Shortly after we came across some used tanks for very cheap and came home with a 65 gal, a 90 gal, and a 20 long. My 65 gal community tank kept getting misfits that we didn't know wouldn't work out in the 5 gal, and then came Missy, my dwarfpuffer sold to me for the snail population who was not a good neighbor. By this time I had fallen in love with her so I had to get her her own tank so a 10 gal was born. Because my 65 was quickly filling up with all of these misfits hubby got me a 29 gal eclipse set up for my birthday. We also ended up with a few rescues and fry, so there is also a 10 gal fry tank running. Then hubby set up a 75 gal mbuna tank and I am now looking at my next puffer purchase, who will be able to be in the 29 for a brief period, but I will need a 40+ by summer......cool by me.

Sasquatch
02-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I remember having an aquarium when I was a kid, though I don't remember what kind if fish were in it. What I do remember was that when we took down the tank, it got recycled into a livewell for bait.:1: We kept frogs, crayfish, minnow, all of which were caught in the stream next to our house.

Through my teens and into my 20's, I kinda left the hobby behind, but when I started my masters, I got back into it big time. As part of my research project, I had to keep a colony of fathead minnows and breed them. In the space of a 1 1/2 years, I went from 30ish minnows to over 1000.

Our lab was also full of aquarium stuff that wasn't in use, filled them up. We did a lot of field sampling and any interesting fish we caught often ended up in the 20 gal in the office. We had shiners, sunfish, bullheads, darters, a few crayfish and even a ling cod (totally cool fish!)

Another guy in the lab bought some feeder goldfish to do experiments, but ended up not doing anything with them. Since I was the official fish keeper, I got to take care of them and when I finished my masters the last goldfish, the tank and all the equipment went with me. It spent a few months at my place and got some friends in the form of chubs left over from some ice fishing.

I then moved to Quebec, the tank came with me, I set it up in my appartment and then moved it to my office. That's where I met my girlfriend, she got hooked on the aquarium (before me I think!) and when goldy went belly up, it wasn't long that we bought a 10g starter kit for our appartment. Our first attempt crapped out because we couldn't keep the temperature constant, but now we set it up again and thing are going well.

We are officially hooked and the only thing stopping a full blown case of MTS is that the landlord doesn't want anything bigger than a 10g. But when we eventually move into our own house, it'll be scary ....

deckard_wa
02-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Back when I was growing up in England my brother one day bought a 3' tank and 4 Piranhas. The filters were just a little foam thing and a filter wool corner type thing that sat in the corner. Needless to say after a few months there was only 1 left and at about 18 months this one passed away too. At this point he decided he didn't want fish anymore and gave me the tank. Looking back now the advice he gave me bordered on lunacy and I am ashamed to say I accepted it without question. I put 4 fantail goldfish in there and they lasted for about 12 years. When the corner filter got blocked I just put in new wool, and cleaned the foam filter when the flow completely stopped. The poor fish didn't die but didn't grow past about 3" either. Water changes comprised of putting a bucket in the tank and scooping water out and then refilling the bucket from the tap and putting it straight in the tank. Never heard of a gravel vac back then either so that never got done. A couple of years before they passed away I started to think I was doing it wrong, but everyone I spoke to said it was fine and my LFS was actually a fishing tackle shop that also sold fish so I got no help. There was no internet back then to research all this and it never ocurred to me to buy a book about fish keeping. Anyway I was real upset when they died and threw the tank out as i just knew that somehow it was all my fault. I know that this could be painting me as an idiot but I just trusted my brother completely and I'm actually quite intelligent. Usually!!!!! A couple of years later when I'd settled in Australia I fell in love with a friend's Oscar, and this time I researched until it hurt because I just had to have one and this time I had to do it right. Now 10 fish tanks later and with number 11 on order and due to arrive in a week or so I think I've finally banished the demons. Now that I know much better I feel even more guilty about those first 4 poor guys but it has spurred me on to be a better fish keeper second time around, and writing this post has been kind of cathartic too!!

Rue
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I've been an animal fanatic since birth...much to my parent's dismay...

Had 2 goldfish when I was 8 years old...but of course, the set-up was all wrong and the fish didn't last long (I still remember their names! Flash and Fancy!)...

Didn't have more fish until I was married...hubby had an aquarium when he was young, so we set up your typical community tank...

Which happens to be the same one I'm using now!

Then we moved several times...took the tank with us...but didn't set it up, knowing we'd be moving again...

Now we've been settled for the last 11 years and I've had the tank up and running most of that time...

Goldfish are my all-time favourites...but our house gets too warm for them in the summer and I don't spend enough time in the basement to enjoy keeping them downstairs...so I moved my surviving goldfish downstairs about 3 years ago...and just got him a friend about 5 months ago (Speckles and Elvis - fantails)...they're only in a 10g tank (but doing just fine!) so I need to get them into something bigger...

Now the aquarium bug has bitten again, and I'm planning my upgrade to a bigger tropical tank (decision on size pending!). Once that's set up I'll move the 25g downstairs for the 2 goldfish!!! Should be win-win for all of us! :D

Incredulous_Ed
02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I kept some fish when I was 8 in a small tropical 5 gallon. I had to put the tank away for some time because the house got fumigated :(
Anyway, last may my little sister bought a whole bunch of goldfish for a church dinner with a seafood theme. They kept the goldfish in the bowls at each table. I took a few home because I knew most of them were going to die and I was going to try to save them. I put them in the same 5 gal tank that I put away several years back. I was aquascaping the tank when I put a piece of petrified wood in there. I came o this website through a search engine to ask if petrified wood was safe for fish. I even remember Williams answer. Since thn I have tried to learn as much As I could about aquariums

cocoa_pleco
02-10-2007, 01:44 AM
i went shopping with a friend, and saw a 10g for 10$, now i have 15 tanks

muffin
02-10-2007, 02:05 AM
The LFS had a really good deal this past month. Free 10 gal tank w/ $25 purchase. Buy one get one free on live and fake plants, and tropical fish for under a buck. Bought a few Danios to cycle and then added a few others after cycling was complete. Bought a Molly that had some fry a little while later so we are going to try to take care of them. After I get married and move out of my apt we plan on getting at least one tank that is larger (at least 55 gal) after we buy a house. But time will only tell where we will end up when it comes to fish...

What I really want to do is to set up a tank to keep some angels and have a Livebearers so that I can let the fry loose in the angel tank for some snacks.

Incredulous_Ed
02-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this is a really old thread. I thought it was recent but then I saw a post by rollie

Glasstapper
02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Where did rollie go, anyway? I remember reading some posts of his when I first joined, but haven't seen him in forever.

cocoa_pleco
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
i wish people would give a heads up if theyre leaving

Slinky_Bass
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
My grandparents bought me a small (maybe 20l or so)tank for my 16th birthday, they stocked it with one shubunkin, two commets and two mini koi.

Like every one else here my fish addiction has gone from strength to strength :D

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 09:43 PM
My grandparents bought me a small (maybe 20l or so)tank for my 16th birthday, they stocked it with one shubunkin, two commets and two mini koi.

Like every one else here my fish addiction has gone from strength to strength :D

Hey there slinky! Havent seen you around in a while! where ya been?

Slinky_Bass
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey Drumachine, I've been lurking here and there, just been a bit busy and feeling too antisocial to post, but coming out of it :D

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey Drumachine, I've been lurking here and there, just been a bit busy and feeling too antisocial to post, but coming out of it :D

Well Thats good to hear!