PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk plant lights

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I find plant lights somewhat confusing. Low- light plants are considered 1-2 watts per gallon yet I see people are planting under 15-18 watt hood lights with results.

I wonder if the results are short term or long term and how are decent results achieved without full spectrum 6700K lighting? Hood lights are really only for our viewing purposes and not for plants yet some appear to have decent luck with the low light varieties.

Are they really growing or are they just remaining alive?

To me, the spectrum is very important so I wonder how such results are obtained without it.

I would like to have an all low-light tank but only have hood lights of 18 watt and can't see it happening. I think a 24 watt 6700K would be needed.

It's my thought that when low light plants are considered that it still means full spectrum.

Comments?

Algenco
12-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Hobb's I agree with Tom Barr, you can grow anything you want with 2 wpg. There are plants that require more light to get them to grow the way you want

msjinkzd
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
what size tank are you talking about? I have 30w on a 36g of 6700K lights and I have lots of growth. I have java moss, java lace fern, java fern, anubias (which even flowers), crypts, watersprite, african fern, anacharis....
I have less than 1 wpg. That is the stock lighting that came with the tank.

madly99
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Someone in a previous post mentioned their tank being in a bright room and I wonder how much that helps. I have standard tank lights and have experienced decent growth with an amazon sword and java fern, but my tank is in a small room that gets a lot of natural light (skylight, two windows, and a mirrored wall). It's never in direct sunlight, but maybe all the ambient light is helping it along?

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
what size tank are you talking about? I have 30w on a 36g of 6700K lights and I have lots of growth. I have java moss, java lace fern, java fern, anubias (which even flowers), crypts, watersprite, african fern, anacharis....

You may have less than 1 watt per gallon but you have full spectrum. That's the point I'm trying to make but not doing too well at it. LOL

Yes, Algenco.........Tom Barr. What a guy. He definately knows his beans and I love his articles.

msjinkzd
12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
gotcha, now I am picking up what you are putting down, lol ;)

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Sometimes I only write with my left hand and things come out backwards.

CAN_chic
12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I think it just depends on the plants you use for a low-lit tank. On my old 15g, I had 30w of standard hood lighing, and my swords and jungle val's got very large and over took the tank. They had great foliage, great colour and handled monthly pruning. The tank didnt get any natural light either, just hood lighting, and some liquid fert's.

So it can easily be done with little light (2wpg) :)

Algenco
12-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Ok, I waded through a bunch of posts and links on this subject, Kelvin rating doesn't seem to be as important as spectrum. Bulbs from different manufacturers with the same Kelvin rating can have vast differences in usable spectrum where plants are concerned.
The GE 9325k is considered the best plant bulb, which is what All Glass uses and may explain in part why some people have decent results with output that would be considered too low.

The difference in color between most 9000 and 10,000 k bulbs is negligible, but the GE 9325k has a pink color?

Did that muddy the waters a bit?

Incredulous_Ed
12-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Bare in mind that those are low light plants. I got anacharis to grow on a 15w bulb in a 20g high.