PDA

View Full Version : People Are Killing Millions Of Fish Each Year Just To Stock Aquariums

Newsbot
04-15-2017, 12:21 AM
More fish News

People Are Killing Millions Of Fish Each Year Just To Stock Aquariums (https://www.thedodo.com/aquarium-trade-fish-2361244128.html)

Slaphppy7
04-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Hmmm, Newsbot, this one could become quite topical here.

mermaidwannabe
04-15-2017, 02:00 AM
I didn't realize most aquarium fish are wild caught. I thought most of them are captive bred in fish farms. That article is the best reason I can think of to breed aquarium fish in captivity -- they are already accustomed to being in captivity and the transition from farm to store to tank isn't nearly as traumatizing as transitioning from the wild into captivity. Losses occur in transit with farm-bred fish, too, but not nearly as much, I would think. Professional breeders tend to take much better care of their fish, and tend to be more knowledgeable. They have a lot invested in their livestock.

The cyanide thing bowled me over! CYANIDE? Sedation is one thing, poisoning quite another! And piercing the swim bladder and cutting off spikes? Selling fish that are deformed and injured? WHY would anyone even accept a fish in that condition? Unless they don't know any better.

I hope a lot of folks read that article and get educated. This is ridiculous!

madagascariensis
04-15-2017, 02:33 AM
There are some valid points raised in the article, and pioneering the captive breeding of marine aquarium fish would really help reduce the environmental impact of aquarium keeping. However, there are some issues with the way they present the aquarium trade.

1. They don't reliably separate marine from freshwater. It seems like a no-brainer to us, but I could see the average person now thinking that their zebra danio/goldfish was plundered from the Amazonian wilds. As we know, the vast majority of freshwater fish, which is also what most people have in their tanks, are captive raised.

2. For anyone not familiar with the dodo as a "news" source, its articles consist entirely of overblown exaggerations and misrepresentative/misleading statements peddled as "feel-good" or "outrage" news that require the reader to turn off their critical thinking skills. Usually there also is a side of obscene anthropomorphism thrown in too.

hypothetical dodo headline: "All this abused snake wants is to cuddle with its rescuer"
reality: snakes are too unintelligent to make advanced cognitive associations (e.g. this guy rescued me) or feel emotions such as affection. It's probably too cold and looking for warmth.

If you think I'm being overly critical, you don't need to take my word. Just spend 15 minutes on the dodo website and see for yourself.

I know that some of the allegations (e.g. cyanide fishing) are locally widespread, but I suspect that other practices (fin cutting, "fizzing") are much less common than portrayed.

mermaidwannabe
04-15-2017, 04:56 PM
There are some valid points raised in the article, and pioneering the captive breeding of marine aquarium fish would really help reduce the environmental impact of aquarium keeping. However, there are some issues with the way they present the aquarium trade.

2. For anyone not familiar with the dodo as a "news" source, its articles consist entirely of overblown exaggerations and misrepresentative/misleading statements peddled as "feel-good" or "outrage" news that require the reader to turn off their critical thinking skills. Usually there also is a side of obscene anthropomorphism thrown in too.

hypothetical dodo headline: "All this abused snake wants is to cuddle with its rescuer"
reality: snakes are too unintelligent to make advanced cognitive associations (e.g. this guy rescued me) or feel emotions such as affection. It's probably too cold and looking for warmth.

If you think I'm being overly critical, you don't need to take my word. Just spend 15 minutes on the dodo website and see for yourself.

Could that be why they're named after an extinct and rather ridiculous-looking bird?

Law Dog
04-16-2017, 11:39 AM
I've never had a marine tank, but I would think that most fish in the US are bred in captivity (I could be wrong), just like freshwater. I know my LFS sells nothing but captive bred fish (marine and fresh) because I did my research by asking who his suppliers are and then researching them.

I'm sure there are still some in the US that sell fish caught in the wild. If consumers wanted to put a stop to it they could refuse to buy, thus putting pressure on the stores to rethink their distributors. I don't think it will ever end but reducing the wild caught trade would be a great starting point.

Slaphppy7
04-16-2017, 02:46 PM
I didn't realize most aquarium fish are wild caught.

The article states that most marine fish are wild caught, not freshwater.

William
04-17-2017, 04:27 AM
But it should be mention that the situation is improving quickly with more and more captive bred marine fish

Rocksor
04-17-2017, 02:02 PM
I've never had a marine tank, but I would think that most fish in the US are bred in captivity (I could be wrong), just like freshwater. I know my LFS sells nothing but captive bred fish (marine and fresh) because I did my research by asking who his suppliers are and then researching them.

I'm sure there are still some in the US that sell fish caught in the wild. If consumers wanted to put a stop to it they could refuse to buy, thus putting pressure on the stores to rethink their distributors. I don't think it will ever end but reducing the wild caught trade would be a great starting point.

There's another thing about the wild trade and that's many indigenous people rely on it to survive, like those from South America. These people have been taught to only capture a certain amount so that they can rely on it year after year. Furthermore, fish like cardinal tetras die by the thousands or more during the drought season anyway.

Another fish, are altum angels, these fish are regulated for export to ensure that overfishing is not done. They are available from July to Dec for export. The dry season does not occur until around October. The indigenous people have figured a way to catch them in deeper water, which commercial fisherman do not attempt, during the non-dry season.

If the indigenous people could not rely on the fish for a source of income, they would turn to farming or industrialization of the area, e.g. paper mill, damming, etc.

Taurus
04-17-2017, 02:20 PM
If the indigenous people could not rely on the fish for a source of income, they would turn to farming or industrialization of the area, e.g. paper mill, damming, etc.

Which would quickly put the indigenous wild species of the area in peril. Once they're gone, in most cases, they're gone for good. Sustainably working with nature is the preferable choice.

Boundava
04-17-2017, 08:14 PM
:yeahthat: 100%

Taurus
04-17-2017, 08:25 PM
:yeahthat: 100%

Yeah, it's win\win\win .......

steeler58
04-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Which would quickly put the indigenous wild species of the area in peril. Once they're gone, in most cases, they're gone for good. Sustainably working with nature is the preferable choice.

A couple of interesting videos, this guy went back to fish farming converting the family land that was once used for farming sugar cane

https://youtu.be/oSlmB3sLbgw

steeler58
04-17-2017, 08:34 PM
And this one shows how they pack Altums and others

https://youtu.be/1CRYK_HFekU

Slaphppy7
04-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Reminds me of endlers...aren't they extinct in the wild, because their habitat has been completely taken away?

If it weren't for fishkeepers/breeders, these little gems would have disappeared from the face of the planet

We're doing our part, Nat & Eric! thumbs2:

steeler58
04-17-2017, 08:45 PM
I believe Endlers habitat is still there: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvwrqarazTAhWo7IMKHUrUDkkQFghBMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seriouslyfish.com%2Fspecies%2 Fpoecilia-wingei%2F&usg=AFQjCNHQJqlEQF6gu0saxgDekzoqUvgTKw but I've seen sources that say they are indangered:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrz9HmrazTAhVD64MKHc4WCPYQFgg0MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPoecil ia_wingei&usg=AFQjCNGPpPC_saRy0lI4QzFObcafIsOelQ

Taurus
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Super cool videos above Lee. This thread needed a positive note.

madagascariensis
04-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Reminds me of endlers...aren't they extinct in the wild, because their habitat has been completely taken away?

The same applies to white cloud mountain minnows and red-tailed sharks (and surely many more species that I'm not aware of). Both species are quite common in hobbyist's tanks.

Slaphppy7
04-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks mada, I did not know that about those particular fish