PDA

View Full Version : Bought 2 more firemouths. BAD Move.

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2007, 06:29 AM
I thought I'd get a couple more firemouths to keep the little guy company I got last month. He is so happy with the big firemouth and they swim alongside side each other with no problem.

I picked up 2 females tonight and the tank has turned into a war zone. The big firemouth is fine with the new addition that that little one I got last month is hell-on-wheels. He's not flaring at them but right after them and biting at their fins.

I changed the tank around so no one had their designated cave but it didn't help. Tons of hiding places for them all but that little guy sure is not accepting of these new ones much.

nanaglen2001
12-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe its not that he isnt accepting those two new girls. Angry Meekis and Meekis which are dating are hardly to distinguish. It looks always as if they are fighting.

If 2 animals are next to each other head to back fin, and they are hitting their back fins at each others head, they are deeply in love. :hmm3grin2orange:

Just take a real close look at the behaviour, maybe your little fellow is in love with both:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Nope. Not in love. Really to young to be thinking of that anyway or planning a future together. :) They tear around the tank and the previous one is right behind them nipping their tails. They have made no move to turn on him and have a square-off face to face.

He is a fiesty little fart. It will get better, I hope.

My hope was to have moss rocks all over the tank. Sounds like a decent idea to me but my moss always gets algae in that tank and won't stay pretty.

Funny how it goes. I am given a firemouth thinking it will go OK with the blood parrots. That doesn't work out so then it comes down to buying more firemouths and now planning on another tank just for them that is larger. A firemouth tank was not anywhere in my plans two months ago. :)

nanaglen2001
12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Just let them sort themselves out, and I bet you will get some nice shots of your Meekis. These fish are so great to keep and so interesting to watch.

But I am wondering why your Meekis behave so completely different from mine. Hmmm maybe its because I bought mine in a batch, and they had been same aged juveniles.

When I look at my two big males, if they meet each other sometimes, there isnt even a flaring at each other, but something like "howdy mate, hows it going?"

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm sure that's just the reason, Andrea. Cichlids are best if added all at the same time and of the same age before each of them stakes claim to the tank as their own. They will get used to one another, I'm sure. *hobbs has fingers crossed*

It's your lovely firemouths that got me into this, you know. :)

It's funny how the little ones all come out of hiding to eat and the lights don't bother them any. They're used to aquarium living at the pet store where they had no hiding places. The large one still remains out of sight until dark.

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I just noticed your pic, Andrea. Very nice. You certainly have some lovely meeki's and take some awesome pictures of them.

Things are just fine today now that they are in a larger tank and have dither fish. Thanks a lot.

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Just to update now that a month has passed.

I love my firemouths! Right now they have become my favorite fish I've had yet.

The large female (I thought was a male) is very sweet, very nice to all the others but is still my hider fish. I turn the lights off and walk away from the tank to get her to come out to eat or she waits until it's gone before coming out.

The second one I bought is definately a male and struts his stuff around the tank. He's grown A LOT and has great coloring.

The last two I bought and thought both were females turned into one male and one female. Going by attitudes only since I can't tell them apart. One gets a lot of chasing from the other male so that one I've figured out must be a male as well.

They have a lot of fun throwing sand around the place and re-doing their digs.

I have 4 of them in a 55 gallon with giant danios. Works out well.

Tolley
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Good to hear all has turned out well!

I'll to see a pic of this males great colouring... as uhhh proof! :19:

NickFish
01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Glad to hear it.
Ya put some pics up! Out of curiousity what do you feed firemouths?

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Hikari Gold, Hikari Staple, dried blood worms twice a week and dried shrimp twice a week. (No frozen in my area but they do fine on the dried) Cichlid sticks and every now and then some flakes. I mix it up for them a bit so they don't get bored. I gave earth worms a couple times but scraped that idea. The worms crawled into the sand to drown and die under there. Nasty so no more of that.