PDA

View Full Version : How often do shrimps molt?

kurly
12-01-2007, 04:15 AM
I looked in my tank a little while ago and saw another shrimpie molt thingy (not sure on the technical name as you can see I am new to shrimps - lol) It seems like every time I look in my tank I am seeing a new molt. Just wondering how often do they molt usually?

zeon
12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
I am new to shrimp as well, and when I first got mine I was finding at least two in my tank a day. I have about 25 shrimp, and that was about a month ago. Now I find about 1-3 every week. I know that does not help much. Just my experience. I would like to know from other experienced shrimp keepers as well.

richberstler
12-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I think it's just called exoskeleton, but I wonder the same. They are supposed to see the malt as a food source, but I think I baby mine too much with better food sources....

cocoa_pleco
12-01-2007, 05:47 AM
im not sure, and i dont keep FW shrimp anymore, but in my reef my coral banded shrimp molds a few times per month

msjinkzd
12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I always see molted exoskeletons in my invert tanks...not sure of the actual length of time before molts....could check at www.petshrimp.com or www.planetinverts.com

Algenco
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
it would depend on temp and feeding

kurly
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I have to keep the temperature around 79 degrees because of the other fish in my tank. They are constantly eating either algae or some of the sinking wafers I feed my cories so I guess that's why I see little exoskeletons all the time. I just hope they aren't eating too much...Little piggys - lol

zackish
12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
When they are young I think they molt around once a week. After a month or so they should only molt every 1 month. At least this is my experience. However, I can't keep track of all the exoskeletons in my tank so I may have missed a few or something.

kurly
12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh okay. I just got them about a month ago and they were all young so that explains why I am seeing so many little exoskeletons lying around the tank.