PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Iowa

OnTheFly
03-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Hello,

Here's the short version. I am Dewayne and I live in eastern Iowa. A man of many hobbies. An avid Fly fisherman. (catch and release), gardening, drag racing, I'll stop there. I tend to take my hobbies seriously. I cycle back through them over time. I maintained successful aquariums in the 80s-90s, and some childhood aquariums before that. Mostly fresh but did have a small salt setup and never lost a fish by some miracle. Things change and I consider myself very much a novice now.

I look forward to conversing with some of the experts here. I know I will get excited and thought I would begin with a used 55G setup, and probably raise some quality live-bearers as I enjoy it, and feel it would be a good way to get my feet wet again. Longer term definitely something 100G plus, species to be determined. I catch some gorgeous juvenile fish so maybe that, we'll see??? I found a local aquarium group on Facebook and will try to find a complete used 55G setup very soon. I know this hobby can be expensive and I don't have a ton of money to start from the ground up, and that is exactly where I am.

William
03-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Hi and welcome. Hope to see you around a lot.

Slaphppy7
03-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the AC.

Boundava
03-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Welcome to AC, great place to get back in the hobby. Lots of experience here in all sorts of areas, we are a well rounded forum.

BluewaterBoof
03-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Ah! A fellow nitro junkie! Welcome to the forum! What do/did you take to the track?

OnTheFly
03-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Ah! A fellow nitro junkie! Welcome to the forum! What do/did you take to the track?

Nothing too crazy. I've been a gearhead forever. First car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440. I've had a Chevy phase (El Camino 454) and then a Ford kick the past last 10 years. Always wanted a street car that would pull wheelies on the track. I have a 94 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker, barely streetable but it will yank the wheels nicely. Nothing crazy but it runs 11s @120+ in the quarter. I have a kid in college so a real race car isn't going to happen.

Didn't want to post an offtopic PIC in case it's against the forum rules. I'll read up on that. :)

And thanks to all for the welcome.

Hockey nut
03-21-2017, 08:05 PM
welcom to the ac

waylon101
03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Welcome to AC. I miss fly fishing. I should start again thumbs2: :goldfish:

RiversGirl
03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
welcome to the AC!

OnTheFly
03-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Welcome to AC. I miss fly fishing. I should start again thumbs2: :goldfish:

You should. It is truly my zen. I was able to fly fish the Alaskan bush right before I retired a few years ago.

AmazonJoe
03-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the community Dewayne don't hesitate to setup a Journal (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=113) :22:

Slaphppy7
03-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Always catch and release?...never bring home any for the frying pan?

I bet you've seen some pretty trout, one of my favorite fish to blacken on the grill

It would be a good idea to start a thread about your 55G build in the Journals section, lots of members view that one often.

As far as hot rods, fly fishing, and anything else you can think of (family friendly, please), you can post all you would like in the Chatterbox section of the forum, near the bottom of the main forum page.

BluewaterBoof
03-21-2017, 11:12 PM
I have a 94 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker, barely streetable but it will yank the wheels nicely. Nothing crazy but it runs 11s @120+ in the quarter.

Sounds perfectly wild. Most people don't know what a sub-2sec 60ft feels like thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
03-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Even falling off of a cliff?

OnTheFly
03-21-2017, 11:45 PM
Always catch and release?...never bring home any for the frying pan?

I bet you've seen some pretty trout, one of my favorite fish to blacken on the grill

It would be a good idea to start a thread about your 55G build in the Journals section, lots of members view that one often.

As far as hot rods, fly fishing, and anything else you can think of (family friendly, please), you can post all you would like in the Chatterbox section of the forum, near the bottom of the main forum page.

For the most part that was an accurate statement. I fish a lot and it's very rare when I harvest. A few times a year I harvest panfish like bluegills and crappie where they are plentiful. A few northern pike or walleye in northern Minnesota. If it's truly large it's released for sure. A picture is good enough for me. Killing all the genetically superior fish in a watershed is a great way to screw up the fishing. I'll spare everyone the lecture but what I mostly see on the water is greedy human beings.

I'd like to do a journal but I will have to absorb more threads. I don't wish to anger anyone here. Current methods are very high maintenance compared to the old days. That was an extreme understatement. I just want to raise some fancy guppies, mollies and swords to start out. I had very good success with that 20 years ago. I didn't change out half my water every week. I'll do some more reading and see what is going on.

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Sounds perfectly wild. Most people don't know what a sub-2sec 60ft feels like thumbs2:

You're right. I enjoy talking folks for 100yd dashes. I should have warned my wife the first time. She didn't appreciate the sore neck for a week but I didn't want to ruin the surprise. :)

RiversGirl
03-22-2017, 01:05 AM
It is truly my zen. I was able to fly fish the Alaskan bush right before I retired a few years ago.

That sounds like quite the adventure

steeler58
03-22-2017, 02:32 AM
Welcome to the forum ;-)

TexChuck
03-22-2017, 03:16 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! I found this place recently and am so glad I did. Like you I was reentering after a couple of decades off, and was overwhelmed by the high maintenance that modern aquariums seem to take.

I'm learning that there's a lot of noise, but the fundamentals really haven't changed that much. You'll enjoy your time here.

I also love fly fishing, the few times I've been. Fewer opportunities in Texas but that's just an excuse...

gadget228
03-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Boundava
03-22-2017, 12:20 PM
For the most part that was an accurate statement. I fish a lot and it's very rare when I harvest. A few times a year I harvest panfish like bluegills and crappie where they are plentiful. A few northern pike or walleye in northern Minnesota. If it's truly large it's released for sure. A picture is good enough for me. Killing all the genetically superior fish in a watershed is a great way to screw up the fishing. I'll spare everyone the lecture but what I mostly see on the water is greedy human beings.

thumbs2: :thumbup: I thank you for this and wish more people thought this way-and not only in regards to fish.

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks again everyone. This place is incredibly welcoming. I've been on many hobby forums over the years. Even modded one once. Only a couple were like this one. I've already read a lot of threads and the expertise will be so helpful. The hobby has come along way through the decades. I will start a thread when I get my 55 gallon, and before I fill it up with a bunch of fish.

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Good on you for doing your research before setting up the tank, I wish everyone would start out that way.

I like your "bunch of fish" attitude, too...many here can attest, I like lots of fish, lol

Boundava
03-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Hey-me too...lots and lots of fish (blush)

:hmm3grin2orange:

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Within reason, of course.....HAHA, did I just type that?

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Good on you for doing your research before setting up the tank, I wish everyone would start out that way.

I like your "bunch of fish" attitude, too...many here can attest, I like lots of fish, lol

I am going to begin with some live-bearers. It won't start off crowded but I know how this ends if I'm not careful. :)

Boundava
03-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Within reason, of course.....HAHA, did I just type that?

Very unlike you...you are definitely the More the Merrier fishkeeper:14:

...:hmm3grin2orange: so am I

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Very unlike you...you are definitely the More the Merrier fishkeeper:14:

...:hmm3grin2orange: so am I

Fish overcrowding is an internet myth. Wal-Mart keeps 200 fish in a 10 gallon tank. Why can't I have 75?

:shappy:

Boundava
03-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Well in my 75 gallon I roughly have:

27 cory (mainly albino plataeus, 3 bandit and 2 regular plataeus)
12-15 kuhli loaches (banded and black)
5 dojo loaches
3 pearl gourami
5 honey gourami
9 emperor tetra
2 Siameese algae eaters
6 blue spotted rainbows
16 forktail rainbow
12 threadfin rainbow
12 espei rasbora
1 adult bristle nose (BN) male pleco
1 juvenile BN pleco female
2 candystipe plecos
1 clown pleco
6 oto
6-12 amano shrimp
3 mystery snails
3-6 nerite snails
??? assassin snails
??? Malaysian trumpet snails

About 118 fish alone ...I may be forgetting something, lol

On a serious note-half of these will be going into a Asian-theme 75 gallon blackwater tank, the other half will stay in the 75 as a South American blackwater tank, the two BN will get their own tank, and the Dojos are going into a tank with goldfish-so it won't be crazy stocked for (hopefully) too much longer. Though many of those fish are <2".

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 03:50 PM
That's a bunch of fish. It's been my experience you can cheat the rules some if you are willing to monitor water quality and do your maintenance. The recommended population guidance seems conservative, but I understand the reason.

Boundava
03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Well I do 60-80% water changes weekly-I am sure that helps, plus I have two Eheim 2217 on this one tank, a little overkill with filtration helps alot too.

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 03:58 PM
You are correct, it's all about compatibility, filtration, and water quality, while still having plenty of room for any given fish to have the room they need for the behaviors they exhibit.

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Well I do 60-80% water changes weekly-I am sure that helps, plus I have two Eheim 2217 on this one tank, a little overkill with filtration helps alot too.

That would remove some of the fun for me (huge water swaps). When we get completely immersed in our hobbies chores become a labor of love though.

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 04:16 PM
With the right tools, large WC's (and small ones, too) are a cinch

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Boundava
03-22-2017, 04:36 PM
That would remove some of the fun for me (huge water swaps). When we get completely immersed in our hobbies chores become a labor of love though.

Well that gives me time to do some plant trimming in my tank and I use the old tank water for my houseplants so I multitask during the water change. I also have CO2 on the tank and use EI dry fertilization so I will measure those out at the same time too-if I am fast enough, lol.

But we make out tanks as complicated as we want to, I could have a tank with plastic plants and a few fish, I would still need to do at least 50% water changes, the nitrates would be high-bonus of plants is they like nitrates. I have a lot of plants to go with the ton of fish, :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry I can't find a recent photo-but here is a video I took on the 13th that gives you and idea.

https://youtu.be/y3Tv3We1FGM

Boundava
03-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Oh see I forgot I have about 8-12 endlers in here too :doh:

OnTheFly
03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
With the right tools, large WC's (and small ones, too) are a cinch

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

I'm used to old school tools. Five gal water change no prob every week. Half the water was a P.I.T.A. Wifey is onboard with the "new" hobby. I'll have to get her a Hex tank for her "chick cave", and a pair of very nice guppies for starters. She was really into those with me back in the day.

BluewaterBoof
03-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks again everyone. This place is incredibly welcoming. I've been on many hobby forums over the years. Even modded one once. Only a couple were like this one. I've already read a lot of threads and the expertise will be so helpful. The hobby has come along way through the decades. I will start a thread when I get my 55 gallon, and before I fill it up with a bunch of fish.

I was very lucky when I randomly picked this forum. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, the mods are awesome and don't have the "holier-than-thou" attitude you see in other hobby forums. I've tested the waters in other forums and Facebook pages. There's always a lot of drama in those other groups. Lots of arguing, swearing, name-calling, etc. This is hands-down the best forum for aquarists. The mods do a great job keeping out the spammers and trolls, and we encourage disagreements to be approached as people sharing different points of views as opposed to outright arguments.

Looking forward to following your journal! You will probably enjoy the journal section. There's a solid group of us who tend to just hang out there all day instead of focusing on our jobs haha It's really fun being able to follow along with everyone's tanks, discuss ideas, and track your own tank's progress.

I think Slap mentioned the Chatterbox sub-forum for unrelated posts. If you want to see a sub-forum for unrelated posts, hop over to his 40Breeder journal :hmm3grin2orange: :14: I think he's been talking about skeet shooting and shotguns for the last week or so, and mentions fish every now and then to try to stay on topic hahaha

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Rarely a dull moment on my thread, that's for sure

Slaphppy7
03-22-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm used to old school tools. Five gal water change no prob every week. Half the water was a P.I.T.A. Wifey is onboard with the "new" hobby. I'll have to get her a Hex tank for her "chick cave", and a pair of very nice guppies for starters. She was really into those with me back in the day.

Get the Python, I'm telling you, I wouldn't do WC's without one...even with my 5.5G

AmazonJoe
03-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Yea for sure definitely get a Python I also was stuck in the old days with just using buckets. Now having my Python I'll neeeeeevvvver go back!