PDA

View Full Version : snail question

jonleibowitz
12-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone. I seem to have a snail problem. I have never bought a snail, so I assume they came with plants by accident. They seem to be reproducing as well. I don't really mind the snails, but I think the ones I have eat plants. Some plants seem to have some holes in them and look like they are getting eaten. The snails are plain brown and have no markings. Should I begin removing these things or just let be?

richberstler
12-01-2007, 02:07 AM
They are good for eating decaying dead plant matter (and food) but some are known to eat live plants. So far I think the smaller ones are probably more good than not for your water parameters (decaying plant matter is bad).

For control I've read boiled lettuce or a cucumber slice anchored to the bottom will attract them over night then you can remove the food with the snails attached. OR I also hear Clown Loaches and probably others are good at eating them. You'll still see the shell but they seem pretty good at sucking the snail from their shell.

msjinkzd
12-01-2007, 02:14 AM
I would try manual removal before I bought fish specifically to eradicate the sanils. Squished snails make a nice treat for fish. Also if you put an algae wafer/lettuce/cucumber in a clean soda bottle for several hours its easy to remove excess snails. Also, they usually only multiply out of control if there is an ample food source, try cutting your feedings back to every other day and see if it helps. Usually pond snails (which is what I think you probably have) only eat dying plant matter, which is a help.