PDA

View Full Version : Julii Cory Inactive

phin9009
03-14-2017, 01:38 AM
Hello! I am new to keeping cory cats, but I adore them already! I have a 36 gallon bowfront aquarium with sand substrate. I have 7 rummynose tetras, 7 neon tetras, 3 panda cory cats, and 3 julii cory cats. All 3 pandas and 2 of the juliis are doing great; swimming all around acting adorable, eating well. The third julii started out acting the same as the rest of them, but today seems very inactive and paler in color than the rest. It's mostly just sitting on the sand, not swimming around. It will move away if one of the other cories tries to get it to play, but otherwise it's just sitting there. I got the fish on 3/10/17, and this behavior just started today. The tank temp has been steady at about 75, ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm, and nitrates are below 20 ppm (testing using the API master test kit). I went ahead and did a water change tonight of 10 gallons, just in case something was off. When I got them, they were all drip acclimated for about an hour, and the tank was fully cycled fishless before I got them. Any advice for what I can do help this fish?

Thanks in advance!

mac
03-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Hey Phin,

Have you noticed anything obvious externally on the Cory?? Like damaged barbels? Fast breathing??
The parameters sounds fine, though for me the nitrates are a tad high. I am assuming your tank is not planted?? Has there been any change in the WC schedule? And tap water changes??
Also what is your ph like??

mac

DoubleDutch
03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
What are you feeding ?? Any pics?

phin9009
03-16-2017, 02:57 AM
No, there were no noticeable external injuries on the cory. The tank is not currently planted. No tap water changes, and the fish have only been in the tank for a few days, so they don't really have a schedule yet. pH is around 7.4. Unfortunately, this guy was no longer with us this morning :( Tank parameters are still normal, and everyone else is still doing well so far. I wonder if he was just a weak one? I'm currently feeding sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and some crisps that sink. All of the fish have been seen eating at all of the options, though the algae wafers seem to be the least favorite so far.

DoubleDutch
03-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Think about skip the algae-wafers. Nutritional value is minimal and when they don't like them the choice for other food is easy. They arr mainly carnivorious.

Silbar
03-16-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry you lost your Cory.