PDA

View Full Version : New angelfish parents

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 01:10 AM
I had an issue with my platinum angel, but I think she might be ok afterall :)

On a happier note, I thought I'd share what's going on in the tank beside hers.

Babies! It's not often I get angelfish that parent their fry like this, at least, especially not their first spawn! I'm so excited to see how far they watch over them :)

My phone really brightened the picture, almost to the point of it looking cloudy, but it's actually clear and much darker.

https://youtu.be/NkUM1dIeKCA

You can actually see the Gold marble male grab a baby from the other side of the tank and spit it out with the rest of the group to keep them together and safer. Good parents :19:

mommy1
03-14-2017, 01:14 AM
Wow look at them all! Good luck and congratulations.

Slaphppy7
03-14-2017, 01:17 AM
Congrats on the fry!...fun vid to watch

fishlove
03-14-2017, 01:42 AM
OH MY GOSH!!! How awesome is this! :) :) Thank you so much for sharing this. I love how daddy goes over to get the lone swimmer and brings him back with the group. Awww.....this is just amazing.

You have these Angels in their own tank? Do you raise the fry in here too then?

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 02:51 AM
Tx all!

Mylea (fishlove), this is their first spawn! The pairs I have don't usually keep the babies that long. Usually, there is a disagreement and the babies/eggs/wigglers go missing. I'm feeding the babies with a baster, so I'll see how long I can get the parents to raise them. I love to watch them, they do that all day, heard the fry and puff themselves up at me in defense. It's really awesome when it works out. When I notice the heard drops quickly in numbers or I see the parents display aggressive behaviour toward the fry, I'll take the babies out and put them in a grow out tank. I want babies from them, but I want to give them a chance too. I really have to WC tomorrow, so we'll see how the parents handle it. They just went free-swimming yesterday.

They are in their own 33g tank. I have 3 breeder tanks like this setup together. The plan was to have a little breeder nursery in my basement.

RiversGirl
03-14-2017, 03:14 AM
You can actually see the Gold marble male grab a baby from the other side of the tank and spit it out with the rest of the group to keep them together and safer. Good parents :19:

That was so neat to see!! Thanks for capturing it on video for us to grin over, too!

fishlove
03-14-2017, 03:55 AM
That's just awesome Kat. Good luck with the babies. Here's to hoping the parents are good at what they do! ;)

As Rivers said, we are all smiles here!! :) :) Can't wait to watch the progression of this spawn.

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 04:09 AM
Yay! Me too! All smiles. I'll update if things go well, I try not to get to excited, because if the parents feel threatened, they'll eat the fry. If they feel there's not enough room, they'll eat the fry. But here's hoping I can get a vid when the fry are a bit bigger with their parents :bouncymulticolor:

fishlove
03-14-2017, 04:17 AM
Bring onnnnn the videos!!! :19:

Law Dog
03-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Awesome video a/c! Super cool to see the dad go and get his baby like that.

CaptainByMoonlight
03-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Super adorable! Congrats on the happy couple!!!

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you all so much!

Boundava
03-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Congrats on the fry, I am looking forward to seeing the fry growing bigger.

Taurus
03-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Thank you all so much!

Congrats angel mama thumbs2:

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 04:41 PM
*Smile*

Proud angel mama :):):)

I really hope I'm able to update for you all!

Silbar
03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
As others have said, congrats on the fry!!!
So nice to see parents that don't eat their young...hope it continues for you. Thanks for sharing that vid and capturing the dad's behavior.

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Of couse Sil! It's true, so nice to see fish parent their young. The most amazing parental behaviour I ever saw was watching a pair of kribensis, the mama would twitch her body and bright purple belly, I guess it's a warning for the fry because the fry would fall down to the stones at the substrate motionless. They hid so well, amazing.

Taurus
03-14-2017, 07:43 PM
I once had a single female Krib excavate a tunnel underneath a rock and lay eggs on the ceiling of the tunnel, it was amazing to watch. She guarded the tunnel at the opening. There was no male in the tank.

waylon101
03-15-2017, 04:24 AM
awesome!!!!! Make yourself a pretty penny out of it thumbs2:

angelcraze2
03-16-2017, 04:46 PM
awesome!!!!! Make yourself a pretty penny out of it thumbs2:

I have trouble selling fish around here. I hate FB and it seems I'll have to be more social before anyone notices my fish. And I've dealt with some pretty pathetic aquarists, and I just can't sell my fish to them. It's really hard to sell fish when you care about them. I only sell fish to a LFS, it's the only way to make a name for myself right now. I only get 50% so a pretty penny, probably not unfortunately :(

The plan was to sell angels while I'm trying to breed some for myself, but it's not working out like I had thought it would.

The babies were still around yesterday, but the group is much smaller. I did a WC yesterday, everything went fine.

angelcraze2
03-16-2017, 04:51 PM
I once had a single female Krib excavate a tunnel underneath a rock and lay eggs on the ceiling of the tunnel, it was amazing to watch. She guarded the tunnel at the opening. There was no male in the tank.

That's really neat! My kribs dug a few new doors for the cave I made for them too. I think they like caves with more than one opening. They are fascinating fish fir one that's so common and widely kept. I usually am attracted to fish with special genetics or hard to find/keep, but I wouldn't hesitate to get some kribs again if I had the space.

Taurus
03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
The only thing that drove me crazy about the female was that I never saw her eat. Tried all the standard stuff too, FBS ect. I finally just figured she was eating algae. They're great parents though but ya gotta figure out what to do with the fry. Doesn't make a difference as both male and female are beautifully colored. But to see these fish at their best you need a pair.

angelcraze2
03-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Oh totally agree! These fish are prolific breeders and very good parents. I was completely overrun with krib babies and had to give the parents away. If I did them again, it'll be a 90g with other west African cichlids and maybe a big synodontis catfish to control the fry population. I wouldn't ever do a just a pair of kribs again even if they are amazing to watch. Just too many babies!

angelcraze2
03-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Awww:( The small group of about 20 babies left went missing yesterday. Idk who ate them, I watched for a while one baby who was still in there. The father kept carrying it it his mouth, but he always spit it back out near the amazon sword at the back. I was starting to think he was hiding the fry on me lol. I watched the female take it in her mouth as well once, but she didn't eat it either. She was very interested in food though. So I'm not sure what happened, but too many dissappeared in one afternoon for it to be anything else. The group was reduced by about half everyday too. Next time I think I'll save/steal some young, I just didn't have a tank ready since I still have a few hydra in my fry tank and I didn't want to risk it again.

RiversGirl
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry they ate them all. This was a really neat experience though, and I'm so glad that you -- and this pair -- were able to experience it all.

Hopefully the parents have learned a few things and their next batch will be the ones they raise up.

Slaphppy7
03-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Well that stinks...bad momma and daddy!

They'll have more, you'll be ready next time to steal/save some

angelcraze2
03-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Thanks! For sure, they will be at it in less than 3 weeks I'm sure! They were amazing parents for their first spawn. I'm really not disappointed at all, to the contrary! I'm happy I was able to share them taking care of their young for a little bit anyway, I'm in no rush and it was rewarding to see.

AmazonJoe
03-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Yep now you'll know just how long you can keep them with the parents before taking them out :)

I might have to get one of them from you when you raise out the next batch haha..I've been craving some angel fish in my 55g...

angelcraze2
03-17-2017, 08:03 PM
I find it very difficult to ensure the fry get food when they stay with their parents in a large enough tank. I also made the mistake of using gravel in all my tanks with adult fish. The fry get lost between the gravel pieces especially at night when they sleep. The parents put them to bed the first night on a leaf (so do cute) but as they got older, they became more independent and started venturing all over the tank. I noticed this is when they start to go missing, either the parents get annoyed with the rebellious fry, or there are just to many dangers in the planted tank and too difficult to find ample food. I was feeding the fry 4/5 times a day, it also makes it difficult to keep the tank clean. Water changes are a must!

angelcraze2
03-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Yep now you'll know just how long you can keep them with the parents before taking them out :)

I might have to get one of them from you when you raise out the next batch haha..I've been craving some angel fish in my 55g...

That would be awesome! I'd be happy to send you some when the weather gets better for exporting. Never have done it, but I'm sure it could be done safely.

AmazonJoe
03-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Heat packs if its cold plenty of O2 and we are all good :)

Taurus
03-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Heat packs if its cold plenty of O2 and we are all good :)

Sounds like you done this before :thumb:

Boundava
03-18-2017, 03:48 AM
Check out this site and try the dog dewormer for the hydra...it worked for me.
http://www.planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html

angelcraze2
03-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Thanks so much Boundava, I actually reread your shrimp journal and saw that :) The hydra might be gone with WCs and tank wall cleaning, but v I'm not 100% sure. So before I add little fry, I want to nuke them with something.

Boundava
03-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Your welcome, hope they nuke the buggers for good. Not a fan of hydra, my poor shrimp were being zapped and I had some baby shrimp die from the nasty buggers.

AmazonJoe
03-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Sounds like you done this before :thumb:

Oh jeez yea once I think ? :shrug:

Silbar
03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear that the little ones did not survive but for first time parents I think they did very well. I am sure they will spawn again and hopefully you will be ready with a place to put them to grow out. This is an adventure for all of us...thanks for sharing.

angelcraze2
03-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Np Sil! I didn't expect too much, so this was a nice treat. I've watched a few pairs now care for their young (never the first spawn though!) and it seems the fry start to go missing for good around the same time mostly. Alhough, I have seen young ones make it 3 weeks with the parents, and they grow faster with the parents for some reason. But because it's so hard to get food to the fry, the tank is so big and there are so many places to get stuck/lost, the brood is always smaller in number.

I also want to get into hatching BBS. I feed frozen BBS and microworms, but I've been told many times that I'll have better success if I hatch my own live.

About the hydra in the 10g, I'm totally surprised that they killed all those babies, but I couldn't find another reason and once I drained the water and removed most of them, I didn't lose anymore fry. If the aquarium walls weren't COVERED in the nasty critters, I wouldn't believe it could happen. Without noticing them and feeding BBS 4/5 a day, I made a hydra paradise. I know I could easily miss one, but I've been looking for them for a few days now and I can't see any, so here's hoping they are gone for good (until I accidentally infest my tanks again with them) :doh:

I was removing them with a sponge in an upward motion, rinsing the sponge everytime it comes out of the water and rinsing all the plants DW and rocks or soaking in tap water. I read that blasting the little buggers with a medicine dropper filled with peroxide would kill them too, but I feel I have the same chances eradicating them manually with a baster or syphon (provided I suck up the whole hydra, since apparently every split section of a hydra can reproduce into another separate hydra)
Arg, these things are built to live!

Taurus
03-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Oh jeez yea once I think ? :shrug:

LOL Joe, just once? You need more practice.

Taurus
03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Check out this site and try the dog dewormer for the hydra...it worked for me.

I wonder if Prazipro will get rid of hydra? Yep, just read a review of Prazi and the user says it does.

angelcraze2
03-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Cool tx! I still have some in the fish med cabinet. That's convinient if it works! My LFS suggested I get some "No Planaria" for hydra. Must be a more natural dewormer as well.

Same as Fenben like I read in Boundava's journal I think....

Guess dewormers work for hydra too.

Taurus
03-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Praziquantel is a dewormer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praziquantel

AmazonJoe
03-19-2017, 07:29 PM
LOL Joe, just once? You need more practice.

Let's see how many orders await me Monday shipping cutoff is Thursday so its accumulated from Friday through the weekend last Monday was I think about 27 or so

AmazonJoe
03-20-2017, 02:54 PM
25 orders today...not bad almost a challenge ;)

waylon101
03-21-2017, 08:43 PM
I have trouble selling fish around here. I hate FB and it seems I'll have to be more social before anyone notices my fish. And I've dealt with some pretty pathetic aquarists, and I just can't sell my fish to them. It's really hard to sell fish when you care about them. I only sell fish to a LFS, it's the only way to make a name for myself right now. I only get 50% so a pretty penny, probably not unfortunately :(

The plan was to sell angels while I'm trying to breed some for myself, but it's not working out like I had thought it would.

The babies were still around yesterday, but the group is much smaller. I did a WC yesterday, everything went fine.

Our guinea pigs recently had two babies and finding owners that we would be comfortable with is hard. I understand wanting the best for them.

angelcraze2
04-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Congrats! How cool, guiney pigs!