PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is normal?

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 03:16 AM
I'm worried my young female platinum angelfish might be egg-bound. Her last spawn was smaller than expected, she still looked like she was full of eggs after she laid them and her ovipositor was still out all the way. I don't remember if this is normal or not, but I'm thinking no.

The spawn before that was 21 days earlier, and the father protected the eggs/wigglers until they were free-swimming, he kept her away and she found refuge behind some DW and a wall of rotala and still came out to eat, so I left things be. They were ok again once the fry dissappeared.

Here are some pics of her 18 hours after the spawn, before she was fed, but the eggs went missing this time, so perhaps she was the egg-eater.

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 03:27 AM
I did a 50% WC (washed the algae) this morning and dosed the tank with 1.5 capfuls of Metro+. I'm going to continue with Metro+ and daily WCs and hope she feels better. She is still looking to eat, but I'm fasting them both for a few days at least.

I raised the temperature from 78f to 82f.

I don't know what else to do, any suggestions are of course wanted :) If not, I'll document her condition here.

Here's a vid I took today after the WC and Metro+ dosing. https://youtu.be/jCsK9pV98BM

And some pics from today
I think it looks a bit better, but not 100% sure.

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure what to do. I asked a breeder for help. She's the one who suggested using Metro. She wonders if being egg-bound is caused by an internal obstruction, putting pressure on other organs. It makes sense to me since I don't see how it's possible she has internal hex (she's been in my tanks from egg). The breeder said a bad internal infection can result, making it very difficult to treat. I'm wondering if I should just continue with daily WCs? Maybe try some Epsom Salts after a big WC? I'm still fasting her until she is not bloated. Any suggestions are wanted, I'll be very upset to loose her.

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm contemplating trying to feed her boiled peeled peas. It worked before for one of my EB rams, but she was too young to be egg-bound, so I'm lost and unsure what to do for my platinum angel. I think I'll do a large large water change and cease using the Metro unless I hear something different. I also added an Indian Almond leaf FYI. I might add more......

And thinking about adding Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate).

Slaphppy7
03-12-2017, 05:13 PM
I wish I knew what to tell you.

PM madagascareinsis or Rocksor, mada was online a while ago

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Here are today's pictures. I'm so excited, she looks so much better! Her ovipositor is still out, but I seem to remember it staying out for a few days after spawning, it has retracted a bit. But I don't notice any worrisome bloating anymore! I'm going to continue with daily 50% (at least) WCs, and hope for the best. What do you guys think?

angelcraze2
03-12-2017, 05:46 PM
I wish I knew what to tell you.

PM madagascareinsis or Rocksor, mada was online a while ago

Tx Matt, I figured no one knew what to do either, I can't find much info about egg-bound fish online, and guessed a commercial angelfish breeder would have the most experience with this. I hope everything works out :)

In case Rocksor or madagascariensis haven't seen this, I'll try PMing regarding Metro+ or Epsom Salts. Thank you :)

angelcraze2
03-13-2017, 11:08 PM
I got some helpful feedback :)

I've decided to discontinue dosing Metronidazole (only dosed one day anyway) but I shouldn't have jumped the gun with antibiotics. I did two large WCs since dosing and added carbon for 12 hours. Although I don't notice any adverse reactions to using the med, the TDS of the tank jumped from 115 to 225. After my last WC, the TDS is down to 150. I don't like changing parameters.

Temp is at 82f.

Here are today's pics just as the light came on. I really don't see any bloating. I did another WC and I'm going to try feeding her daphnia today. I hope she's in the clear!

Tx to madagascariensis for help and straightening me out!

fishlove
03-13-2017, 11:48 PM
I understand it's hard to differentiate things in pictures sometimes but her bloat appears to have gone down. She is absolutely gorgeous Kat!! :) I'm so happy to hear she is doing better too. I love her sparkle :1luvu:

How big is she?

RiversGirl
03-14-2017, 12:32 AM
She is very pretty, fully agreed!
I'm so glad she is doing better.

angelcraze2
03-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Thanks Mylea! I think it looks much better too, a second opinion is very much appreciated :)

She is quite petite still. Her body is only about 2", but she always had these gorgeous straight long fins. She is older than her mate who is much larger already. But the two are only 10/11 months. She is called a platinum glitter :)

She ate some frozen daphnia today thumbs2: I'm continuing daily WCs and feeding daphnia for a few days since she wouldn't accept peas.

I guess I won't add the salts for now, unless she bloats up again. I'd rather not add anything that's not needed.

fishlove
03-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Wonderful Kat! So happy for you :)

angelcraze2
04-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Tx ladies :) She is pretty petite still, but portionally, she is what I opt for as far as appearance goes. Nice long fins and a higher body.

She is doing fine now. I don't think there was ever a problem actually. She has a spawn since then, but the eggs were eaten immediately and I missed it.

RiversGirl
04-28-2017, 07:19 PM
She is doing fine now. I don't think there was ever a problem actually. She has a spawn since then, but the eggs were eaten immediately and I missed it.

Great to hear that this beauty is doing well.
Which male did she spawn with? I can't keep track of all your pairs, but sure do enjoy reading your news of these fish.

angelcraze2
04-28-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm smiling from ear to ear! Thank you! She paired up with this guy in my 90g. Now they have a 33g all to themselves :)

He's a gold marble with a blue and pearlscale gene (which don't express, but influence his appearance)

Thanks for asking :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/9dd517de76737ea553d03ff20299c18a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/e791a0fa2c8325e8aa93ce1cf0bc32cf.jpg

Taurus
04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
They are beautiful together.

angelcraze2
04-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Aren't they? I split my phenotypes purposely to out-cross somewhat, (to lesson the chances of genetic deformities) and I can get different angels types from one spawn without it being out of control to segregate. I sold my Plat/plat pairs because they'd only produce platinum babies. And a lot of ppl seem to like a pair that look the same, but I agree with you, Taurus, I think two different types can look nice together as well. I'm enjoying having them in my breeder tanks for sure!