PDA

View Full Version : Does my java fern look okay?

PUNISHER VETTE
11-30-2007, 04:01 AM
EDIT: UPDATE ON EBAY SELLER ON PAGE 2(Dec 30)

I got this off the internet and it took about 10-15 days to ship which was expected. When it got here it looked exactly like what it does now.(brown with huge leaves) It's supposed to be Philippine Java Fern but looks nothing like the picture advertised in the auction.

Here is what mine look like.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/Fish%20stuff/IMG_0189.jpg

Here is what the auction picture looked like.

http://209.85.6.38/%7Eaqmagic/Pic/philipferngg8.jpg

And a side note the morning after putting this in my take all my 5 glowlight tetras where dead. I didn't think much about it because i figured it was my tank cycling after putting the biospira in a few days before but then realized maybe it was this?? I did wash the plants and had them sit in my sink full of water for a few hours.

mitcore
11-30-2007, 04:18 AM
sorry for your loss
i am not a expert on plants
i just wanted to say sorry

PUNISHER VETTE
11-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Problem was i was too busy with finals/school to take the proper testings of the water. Or take a picture of the plant before i got it into the tank. So i don't know what they are going to say if i need to complain about getting it replaced.

mitcore
11-30-2007, 04:23 AM
who will complain the LFS?

PUNISHER VETTE
11-30-2007, 04:28 AM
who will complain the LFS?
LFS???

Since i got them in an auction(ebay) and it didn't come as advertised if you plant experts think it's not right then i might have to email/contact the seller to see what my options are in the matter. Maybe get something else the seller sells for free or a replacement or money back. All depending on if the plant experts think it should looks different.

I feel that it look nothing like the picture and isn't even green so i kinda feel like i wasn't given what i paid for.

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2007, 04:38 AM
They look frozen to me. I hope you didn't by from the one guy I bought from on Ebay. Horrible, horrible plants come from him but I found another on Ebay that more than makes up for the first seller.

He doesn't always have a huge selection but what he has is always very, very nice.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mikeswetpets-Aquarium-Plants

100% feedback

PUNISHER VETTE
11-30-2007, 04:42 AM
They were well packaged in 2 ziplock bags and a padded envelope but it is pretty cold here(40ish) but i have no clue if they got too cold. Maybe it's just because they are new and will grow new/green leaves or what.

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Does anything look like the second picture!!!! WOW.

CAF
11-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Your best bet is to leave them be for a little while and see if they bounce back. Java Ferns are pretty hardy so I expect they will

PUNISHER VETTE
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I went ahead and contacted the seller. It looks like the plants are turning even more brown and probably aren't going to make it.

The website said to contact within 3 days of arrival to get a refund but we'll see how friendly the seller is about all this. If anything i can always leave feedback and just cut my losses.

Azear
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Just as curiosity... what's the name of that seller ? I was planning to buy some live plants but now, I'm not sure If I should consider LFS instead of ebay.... price is higher but I'm sure I'll have good quality product... On the other hand, lots of stuff avail on ebay... so what's the name of this guy ? :confused:

PUNISHER VETTE
12-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Just as curiosity... what's the name of that seller ? I was planning to buy some live plants but now, I'm not sure If I should consider LFS instead of ebay.... price is higher but I'm sure I'll have good quality product... On the other hand, lots of stuff avail on ebay... so what's the name of this guy ? :confused:

PM sent. If others want to know just send me a PM. I don't want to out the person on the forum since i haven't heard back yet to see whether or not they are going to back their product. If they turn up to be an ass about it all i'll out them in public and leave the proper feedback.

PUNISHER VETTE
12-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I've gotten emails from the guy and they are more then happy to replace the perished java fern. I actually said that after seeing how it looked and ended up if i could replace it with java moss(flame moss) and he said that would be fine. So it looks like i'll be getting flame moss instead. I thought the fern was too large anyway. But so far this seller seems to be pretty responsible.

msjinkzd
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
its nice to hear of a positive experience for once. Glad it worked out for you.

2manyfish
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Don't give up on that java fern yet!!
It's the same plant that was advertised, it's just turning brown. If the plant was in the dark longer than 4 days I would expect it to look like that. What I would do is to cut off all leaves that are brown. Keep the rhizome intact!! Make sure the rhizome is not buried under any gravel or dirt and eventually the plant will come back.

Sorry to hear that your fish died but I don't think the plants were to blame...

Dave66
12-05-2007, 02:16 AM
That ebay seller lifted that photo from one of Amano's Nature Aquarium World books. If it's discoverd, that seller can be sued for Copyright infringment. Doesn't speak very well of that seller to pirate a picture like that.

Dave

kurly
12-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I wondered why that pictured looked so good. I kept thinking how in the world can I get my java fern to look like that!

Glad that everything has worked out for you in regards to the seller replacing your plants.

zeon
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I am glad they are willing to exchange it for you. I hope the moss does much better than the fern. *fingers crossed for you*

PUNISHER VETTE
12-31-2007, 03:22 AM
Okay. So i won the auction on Nov. 07 2007. Paid that day.

Plants arrive Nov. 23 2007 thats about 2 weeks

Contacted Seller around Dec. 01 2007 Due to plants arriving dead.
This was after having the plants for a week and not seeing any progress in them getting better and asked for a replacement. Seller was more then happy to send not only a replacement but since i didn't like the look of the java fern i asked if i could substitue for their java moss(flame type) since it was about the same price(slightly cheaper).

Contacted seller Dec. 26 2007 complaining that new plants still have NOT arrived and asked for a refund.
She insists that the USPS is just slow for the holidays and to wait one more week. I agreed.

So what do you guys think? Should i leave positive feedback lol.
Sellers name is aquaticmagic so none of you get shafted by them too.
I've given plenty of opportunity for them to make right on their name. After the first failed attempt they should have expressed shipped something to make up for the error. Instead i had to complain almost 3 weeks later that the plants still aren't here....

Algenco
12-31-2007, 03:58 AM
I've heard a few other people complain about that seller. Since they have agreed to replace them you should be cautious about feedback. 7 weeks total is too long to wait.
Your java fern look like the right one.

What types of plants are you interested in? I'm in the process of trimming.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I've heard a few other people complain about that seller. Since they have agreed to replace them you should be cautious about feedback. 7 weeks total is too long to wait.
Your java fern look like the right one.

What types of plants are you interested in? I'm in the process of trimming.

It's now Thursday and still no plants. I'll give them till saterday for them to come before i email for a refund. Even if they come should i still leave neutral feedback? or bad? I don't want to since that is kind of a big deal on ebay but they kinda sucked and deserve it...

I'm looking for taller plants right now i think. I have some Vals but only in a corner and my honeywort didn't make it so the back of my tank is pretty bare. And i guess since the ebay seller isn't doing such a great job with the java stuff i'll probably have to get a brand of that to stick on my driftwood.

hpt84
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I would leave a bad feedback. All live plant should be shipped express. The java ferns were brown, now imagine a more sensitive plant.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Okay. Well i waited and never saw any plants. Filed a complaint with Ebay and they had the seller refund my money. I left neutral feedback just so i wouldn't get anything bad retaliation feedback from the seller.

If anyone is thinking of buying from this person i would stay away.