PDA

View Full Version : My First Dojo

gwenkat
08-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi all. I just bought my first Dojo loach today. I was reading up on fish to buy for my new 29 gallon and the Dojo caught my eye. I went to my lfs today, just to look for some decorating ideas for the new tank, and when I saw the gold dojo, I knew he had to come home. Now he is in my 10 gallon tank, waiting for the new one to be set up. He is sharing his home with one black mollie, 4 guppies and unknown numbers of snails. Since this is my first loach, any advice would be welcome. Thank you all!!

William
08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Loaches can be somewhat sensetive for poor water quality so keep nitrite/nitrate and ammonia levels low. Keep an eye out for ick.

Cretae a hiding place or two for it on the bottom ofthe tank and don't be suprised if you hear it making a "knocking" sound. Especially when it get excited over something like tasty food. ;-)

gwenkat
08-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I just did a 15% water change before I added him, and I have 2 small caves with holes for himt o hide in. Is that good, or should I get him something else? I also wanted to ask what kind of gravel should I use when I set up the new tank? Right now I have regular gravel and I wondered if I needed sand or something else? This is the best site I have seen and you are all so very helpful. Thank you :)

William
08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for those kind words.

The caves are good. loaches love cave sthat have several entrances and exits but the caves you have works well. You don't have to get anything new.

Regular round gravel works well. The main thing to think about white loaches is not to have sharp gravel that they can cut themselves on.

gwenkat
08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Cool, thanks. I also read somewhere that the dojo is a jumper and that he would eat snails. Do you know if either is true? I have a hood on my aquarium, but it does have the space punched out for the filter. Would he be able to jump out there? How would I block it so he can't?

William
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
They can be jumpers so it is good if you cover the holes. you can use tape or sponges to cover the holes.

They do eat snails.

gwenkat
08-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks. I will try that. I appreciate all the advice.