PDA

View Full Version : Compatibilty for Dragon Goby?

DragonGoby
11-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi,
I hope to have, not too far in the futur, a 70 or 100 gal brackish aquarium to host a dragon goby (Gobioides broussoneti ... not sure of the spelling).
My big question is : what other kind of fish can I have with him?
I don't want big fishes, because the dragon is shy, and very peaceable... (I don't have it right now, but I've read and read and read about this cute guy...).
And in a 70gal or in a 100 gal there's a lot of place for other inhabitant...
I'm trying to find little shcooling fish, neon size, but truly brackish... I don't want to force poor fishies to live with salt...

I've had some idea, perhaps halfbeaks or pseudomugil cyanodorsalis. But I'm not so sure that halfbeaks are really brackish water and the pseudomugils seems very difficult to find in North America... So my question : do you know of little schooling brackish fish? Easy to find on this side of the Ocean?

Thanks a lot for any info you may have.

DragonGoby
12-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Hi again,
Ok no answers... Hope it's not because my thread is stupid :c1: ...
I've not been idle since the last post, and I've done some looking around ...
and I've found some fish and info about them... The main site is a fish database (Fishbase).
Here is the list of brackish fish and after that I have some question for you.

Bayou killifish (Fundulus pulverulus)
Sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus)
Poecilia vivipara
Banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus)
Least killifish (Heterandria formosa)
Ceylon killifish (Aplocheilus dayi)

OK, here's the question : Do you people know about one of these guys? Have any of you ever kept them or heard about one of them? Do you know if they're compatible with dragon gobies (other than being brackish).

Most of them are killifish but when I looked in this part of the forum or in the articles I didn't find them... And because I want a brackish aquarium I posted here...

Hope I will have some answers...or info about one of them.

Thanks again

Incredulous_Ed
12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Since you will be keeping them in a large tank, you could keep around 5 DGs. Be sure to keep eiter one or several to aviod aggresion issues.
You could keep most other peaceful brackish fishes with them, including:
Mollies
Monos
and other gobies. I would probably nopt keep killifish with them, becaus ethey perfer different water conditions.

DragonGoby
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I believed that the minimum requirement for a DG is 55gal? with a 70gal or at max a 100gal, are you sure I can keep so many DGs? But just one for me is ok :luxlove: ...
For the killifish, I'm not going to put just any killifish. The ones on the list in the second post are all labelled "brackish" on the FishBase site.

But sure, if I find that they're not really brackish, I won't use them... For the molly, I don't want them... I'm not a real fan of those guys, sorry :22: .

And the monos? What kind of fish are they? Are they schooling fish? What size are they?

Thanks for your answer and your help! thumbs2:

Incredulous_Ed
12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Well, what size tank are you getting?

Here is an excellent page on monos: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/monos.htm

They are very good looking fish, and will be too big for a goby to swallow.

Also, you may consider glassfish, as they like brackish water.
Also, a Columbian shark may make a nice addition to a large brakish tank.

DragonGoby
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Wouahou, thanks a lot for the link, it's really very interesting! I have never consider having them, because I always think they are too big!

For the tank size, I hope to catch a 100gal :18: ... But that's not sure...
For the Glassfish, are you talking about the "Chanda ranga"? I've heard about them, but I've found so many different infos about them, that in the end I'm not sure that they are really brackish... but they look very cool!

I never thougt (sp?) getting a Columbian shark, they get so big!!!!

Actually, with a 100gal, what do you think is the best community to built with a DG and how many fish can I have of each kind?

Once again thanks a lot for your help... and please forgive me my mistakes in english, my friend is not here to make all the corrections:11: .

Incredulous_Ed
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
If you go with a 100 gal you have tons of options. I would stock either 5 or 1 DGs. 1 columbian shark. 5 monos. maybe glassfish or scats if you have the filtration. Also, bumblebee gobies. However, all of these together are only suitable for a 100g tank, with good filtration. What kind of filtration do you plan on getting, and how often will you change the water?

DragonGoby
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
For the filtration I'm not sure... I mean, there's a lot of possibilities, and I don't have yet the tank... I want to have it before, to think about it, because I don't want to have to look at my filtration system... It's not cool on a little 10gal, I can imagine on a 100gal... I've heard about the "Lifeguard Aquarium Filter System", Eheim filter... To be honest my buddy is better than me on this kind of thing, and he works with fish... So I hope that he can advise me, or that some of you can advise me too...
But it seems that undergravelfilter is not the good one to take, so no UGF.

As for the water, we made a 25% change twice a week with our 10gal... So I think I can do that with the next one... Even If I know that there gonna be a LOT MORE water....

But in any case, any advise is welcome.

For the community, I think I will go for the glassfish and the monos... but, I still don't like the look of the columbian catfish...:c10: ...

Tell me, Incredulous_Ed, have you a brackish system and a DG? How it works for you? you seems to have a lot of experience with that kind of system!

Incredulous_Ed
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I have kept a dragon goby in FW before. He had only been with me for a few weeks when he was swimming very fast and swam right on a sharp rock, which cut a large part of his skin off, which killed him.

I reccomend a large cannister filter. It can hide under the aquarium on the stand cabinet, so you won't have to see it. Plus, it's the best filtration for a large tank. Don't use UFG. Also, it's good to supplement the cannister filter with a large hang on back filter.

Doing water changes for a 10g and a 100g is alot different! You will have much more water and you will have to mix the salt into the new water before you add it into the tank, to ensure proper salinity.

DragonGoby
12-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Sorry to hear that... We have had this kind of problem with our platies... Not so hard, they "only" miss some of their scales... But still, it was dangerous, an infection might come... So now we have take out ALL the cute piece of quartz... Too dangerous for them.

About the canister, that is what I'm looking for... My friend have tell me how cool it is... But you're right for the water change... I' m going to need something like a 25 gal bucket to make the saltwater all at once.

Thanks for all the info and the advice, it has all been dully noted thumbs2: !

Incredulous_Ed
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
No problem