PDA

View Full Version : Divider is down...

2manyfish
11-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Things are going well between my BP and her new beau the Texas cichlid! When I first put him in her tank I had a divider up (glad I did too as he was super aggressive at first). A couple of days ago I noticed that they tended to stick near each other and no aggressive moves towards each other so I took down the divider! Success! They have now dug several pits together in the gravel and soon there will be eggs. Just don't know if Pinky (BP) is fertile or not but either way they make a nice pair together!

Here is a really crappy picture. My son has the iPhone so I had to use my old camera. :c2:

TowBoater
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Very nice, congrats!!!!

cocoa_pleco
11-30-2007, 02:43 AM
congrats! my oscar and pacu were like that, at first they fought but now they get along fine

mitcore
11-30-2007, 02:47 AM
congrats
your fish are very nice looking

Arkie
11-30-2007, 04:03 AM
congrats.... very nice fish by the way thumbs2:

Ocellatus
11-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Awesome!
parents look great, i can't wait to see red texas thumbs2:

that rich blood color is your BP natrual color or you use some colored foods to keep it well?

i suggest give them a slate or a big flower pot if they don't have one. though BPs lay eggs almost everywhere but something special helps often.

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Very nice. My pair are doing their thing again and it drives me nuts to watch them pick up each and every stone and move it....for days. I just want to reach in the tank and "help" them. LOL It's odd because they always use the flower pot anyway. It's just like a ritual with them that stones must be moved. Both mine are parents so no babies.

Incredulous_Ed
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
very cool! can't wait to see what happens.

Ocellatus
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Very nice. My pair are doing their thing again and it drives me nuts to watch them pick up each and every stone and move it....for days. I just want to reach in the tank and "help" them. LOL It's odd because they always use the flower pot anyway. It's just like a ritual with them that stones must be moved. Both mine are parents so no babies.
they move gravels and make a hole for the time eggs hatched to move fries to the hole and keep them together there. but unfortunately you won't see that part cuz your male can't fertilize the eggs :scry:

tropfish
11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I can't wait to see the babies (if there are any) My BP digs holes in the sand, scoops it up and blows it out her mouth. very amusing.

2manyfish
11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks everyone!

Blu-ray, that's her natural color. Her main diet consists of Hikari Cichlid pellets - Gold and Staple. Then she might get the occasional live cricket, earthworms and mealworms, small pieces of zucchini, and also small hunks of raw shrimp. That's it.
Even though you can't really see it in that lousy picture, there is a big piece of slate and two large flat rocks for her to lay the eggs on.

Not sure if she if fertile! She has been laying eggs for years now but without a male fish present there was no way to tell. Either way I am happy for her as she seems quite content to have a male partner! But it would really be cool to have a red texas of my own!

That's funny about wanting to help them Hobbs! I have been wanting to move one of the big rocks to the side but not only don't I want to disturb them but I'm kinda afraid to put my hand in there right now!

Tolley
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Good Luck !!!! They look very nice together!

Ocellatus
12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
i've seen some pink and not well colored red texas but you have an original BP over there with rich natural color. hope you get some great red texas! keep us updated!

squirt_12
12-01-2007, 03:24 PM
congrats....:thumb: