PDA

View Full Version : ick, help asap

kaianuanu
11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
1 of my 2 baby oscars have ick i just noticed it10 minutes ago the cysts
are just smaller than the size of the dot on the I in shift on your keyboard

is ick fatal????????? i've treated it as soon as i noticed it. thank god i had this "cure-ick".

what are the chances that my poor baby oscar pulls through this disease

are there any other things i can do to help my fishie get better other than just using my "cure-ick":ssad:

cocoa_pleco
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
add some salt.

ick is related to stress, so i would keep the water clean. ick is easy to treat.

what size tank do you have?

kaianuanu
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM
its a 10 gallon

Ocellatus
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
what is your water temperature?
raise it to 30-31 C ( 86-88 F ) for a few days.
you can add some aquarium salt ( or non iodized salt ) 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon for now.
don't worry oscar will make it easily.

Sasquatch
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Ick isn't usually fatal on it's own, but if can lead to secondary infections. So keep the water clean. Also make sure to treat for at least 10 days to make sure that all the ick are gone.

Keep an eye on them, don't overmedicate and they should pull through just fine.

I hope you plan on moving those oscars to something bigger in the future.:ezpi_wink1:

kaianuanu
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
i have some table salt that says

ingredients: salt, & sodium silicoaluminate

i have no idea what sodium sileuighfruys is

my medication for the ick says treat for a maximum of 3 days

Azear
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
what is your water temperature?
raise it to 30-31 C ( 86-88 F ) for a few days.
you can add some aquarium salt ( or non iodized salt ) 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon for now.
don't worry oscar will make it easily.

i have some table salt that says

ingredients: salt, & sodium silicoaluminate

i have no idea what sodium sileuighfruys is

Table salt IS iodized salt... which is not good for aquarium... that's why you need aquarium salt...

And good luck with theses O :P

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Table salt comes in both forms, Iodized and Non-Iodized.

You can also use pickling salt (Kosher) which is the same salt as aquarium salt but cheaper. Treat quickly as it does kill. I just lost a bunch of fish to a huge ick outbreak and I treated them for days.

cocoa_pleco
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
i dont think calling is a option since it wold cost alot. few people here are from florida so for me to call it would cost ALOT of money.

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
PS.........The forum is for discussions such as this. We do not call people so please do not leave your phone number here. It's very inapproperiate to ask people to call you and I have deleted those posts.

Fishguy2727
11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
I use Quick Cure and/or Coppersafe. Either will knock it out quickly with more reliable results than salt in my experience.

You need to treat the disease and the stressor. You need to check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH, etc. and make sure everything is right.

OscarFan
12-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Raise the temp and add aquarium salt and the chances are good