PDA

View Full Version : I'm back and need advice on plants! Lower light 37g planted tank.

Drew's_Fish_99
02-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Hi everyone!
Some might remember me, many likely do not. But I was rather active on here and in the hobby over a year ago, probably close to two. But I had to set anything that wasn't a top priority aside for awhile. Now... although I'm still busy and will be busier come august when I finish high school and start a career, to remain sane I need to return to one of my favorite hobbies.

I'm ready to get my 37 gallon setup again. Unfortunately I have forgotten much of what I had learned about plants and etc. So I need some advice.
I would like to make this tank a heavy planted peaceful community tank with sand substrate, grey stones (seiryu likely) and manzanita driftwood.

Something like this without the valley in the center is the loon I'm going for. 50456

I really want to avoid the more intricate stuff like co2 systems and dirt/soil substrate, but have no issue dosing whatever ferts or supplements I need to. My lighting is currently considered low. Fixture is the "Current Satellite Freshwater LED+" and tank is about 20 inches substrate to light and from what I can find online, my PAR is around 23-25. I'm taking all of this into account when choosing my plants. I am planning to purchase a second LED+ fixture, but at the time I don't feel comfortable spending the $$. Later this year I'll be in a better position to do so.
On to the plants... Definitely doing java fern, anubias nana and crypt wendtii. Other plants I have considered on the premise I have read they do well in lowlight and I like them aesthetically (if anyone has any other suggestions that you believe would work and give me the look I'm going for, please suggest!) are as follows... Crypt undulata, crypt pontederiifolia, rotala rotundifolia (who names these?!?), monosolenium tenerum, bacopa caroliniana, african water fern, and I would love sunset hygrophila polysperma, but I've read it's illegal and have seen that it's hard to find. I believe my LFS has some in their tanks that they don't "sell" of advertise, but it's been over a year since I saw it and I never confirmed that was it. I'll have to call tomorrow and ask. If anyone has any negative experiences with these plants or for some reason or another recommend for or against, I would love to hear your opinion!

As far as stocking on this tank, red cherry shrimp colony and a oto catfish school are a must! Some sort of tetra or rasbora school is also the plan, 15-20 Rummynose, harlequins or bloodfins. I'm undecided. Also would like to do a (small but larger than the schooling fish) centerpiece fish. Considering a couple Gourami's or a Betta. I know bettas can be hit or miss but I'm willing to try. I'm also reading conflicting opinions on gourami's. Pearl or dwarf are the ones I'm looking at, but I've read dwarfs are hard to keep alive and pearls are either the most peaceful fish ever or absolute serial killers. Opinions appreciated!!!

That's all I can think of for now... I'll be making a journal soon! Thanks for all advice a head of time!

William
02-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Hi and welcome. Hope to see you around a lot.

mac
02-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Hey and welcome to the forum.

Best option is to post your questions about planting in the planted section (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)

And stocking and fish selection ect into the beginner section. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

Drew's_Fish_99
02-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Hey and welcome to the forum.

Best option is to post your questions about planting in the planted section (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)

And stocking and fish selection ect into the beginner section. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

I figured I should probably post there for the best results. Thank you!

mac
02-04-2017, 07:16 AM
No problems my friend. Post up and watch the answers follow

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Slaphppy7
02-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Welcome back Drew, it's been a while.

SueD
02-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Crypts are generally easy plants and I have wendtii and undulata which have done great. I was never able to grow pontederiifolia which I tried twice from 2 different sources. It just rotted away. But it's a very attractive plant and I've read where others have had an easy time with this. So you may have better luck than I did. I've also wanted the sunset hygrophila polysperma and read about its "illegal" status and unavailability. Other hygros have grown very well for me such as hygro difformis, hygro corymbosa and hygro angustifolia.

I've also wanted the African Fern (Bolbitis) for quite some time (love the look of this plant) but the tank I wanted it for still has one very old silver dollar in there. I've been afraid he will simply chomp away on it. He's left the crypts, anubias and java ferns alone but ate some young vals I tried, so I'm waiting him out for now. Once the bolbitis takes off, it looks like a really beautiful plant.

steeler58
02-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Welcome back thumbs2:

Is it to late for you to take on the super bowl squares? :hmm3grin2orange:

waylon101
02-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Welcome back :)

Drew's_Fish_99
02-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Thank you Slap! It's good to see you! I see you've been busy... Nearly up to 41k posts! Is your thread still hopping?

Welcome back thumbs2:

Is it to late for you to take on the super bowl squares? :hmm3grin2orange:

Haha! I'm gonna have to say yes. Worked all day today and the only time I'm free tomorrow is during the super bowl... Wish I cared for either team... :think:
Hoping I can grab some pool sand while I'm out and get the tank started during the game!

I've also wanted the sunset hygrophila polysperma and read about its "illegal" status and unavailability. Other hygros have grown very well for me such as hygro difformis, hygro corymbosa and hygro angustifolia.

I'll tell you what... If my LFS has some (whether they sell or give away. If there's a law I'm gonna break, I can live with that one... :shrug:), once it takes off and I have spare, I'd be happy to share! I'm obsessed with that plant! It's absolutely beautiful!

Quick poll... Should I post my questions about plants in the plant section as Mac said or go ahead and get a journal started and post there?

RiversGirl
02-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Welcome back, Drew. I remember you and am glad you've decided to restart this lovely hobby.

My vote is to post your plant questions in the plant section. Then start a journal for the other aspects of your tank, minus the detailed planting pros and cons, then when you get your plant wish list firmed up, you could note your final choices in your journal. But as always, it is up to you to determine your best path forward.

It was nice to find your update. I'll see you around the forum!

SueD
02-07-2017, 05:10 PM
I'll tell you what... If my LFS has some (whether they sell or give away. If there's a law I'm gonna break, I can live with that one... :shrug:), once it takes off and I have spare, I'd be happy to share! I'm obsessed with that plant! It's absolutely beautiful!

I can wait. Just remember me if and when...

Boundava
02-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Welcome back :wavegreen: