PDA

View Full Version : Red veins in pelvic fins

treefrog1
02-03-2017, 09:42 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/4feebbf9227c251305992007099b3488.jpgMy angelfish has been sick for a couple weeks now. He had a red nose when I got him (poor water quality from the previous home?) that never faded. Two weeks ago he developed a very red pelvic fin (I think this is the last pic), it looks like he had caught it or been nipped. The tip of the fin fell off. Dosed the tank for a week with neomycin. I've been trying to feed him neoplex/garlic guard/focus on pellets with varied success. The water quality has tested fine. He isn't nearly as red as he was when he first fell ill, but the tips of his fins have become kind of fuzzy (the first pic?)Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything else I can do?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/524b502cbfc552b591c2229792e06d04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/00ae18399433a60e7f2cc018341f90a7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/0ed1d0fd7590aab57a50049aa13e99cf.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

madagascariensis
02-04-2017, 12:35 AM
What is "fine", in exact ppm?
The reddened fins definitely look like a water quality issue or possibly some reaction to transfer stress and the resulting low immune function.
There's algae on the wood, so I guess the tank's been running for a while and I need not ask about cycling.
What's your maintenance routine?

treefrog1
02-04-2017, 02:20 AM
What is "fine", in exact ppm?
The reddened fins definitely look like a water quality issue or possibly some reaction to transfer stress and the resulting low immune function.
There's algae on the wood, so I guess the tank's been running for a while and I need not ask about cycling.
What's your maintenance routine?
0 ammonia 0 nitrite. I think I remember it being 20 ppm nitrate last time we had it tested (a week ago after finishing neomycin treatment, as neomycin is known to kill nitrifying bacteria). While we were dosing the tank it was 20% daily. Otherwise 20% change weekly. Tanks been running since June, and he's been there since. It's a 60 gallon tank; when I had gotten him he was living in a 20 long and I felt he needed the upgrade.

treefrog1
02-04-2017, 02:24 AM
0 ammonia 0 nitrite. I think I remember it being 20 ppm nitrate last time we had it tested (a week ago after finishing neomycin treatment, as neomycin is known to kill nitrifying bacteria). While we were dosing the tank it was 20% daily. Otherwise 20% change weekly. Tanks been running since June, and he's been there since. It's a 60 gallon tank; when I had gotten him he was living in a 20 long and I felt he needed the upgrade.

We struggled with GH/KH for a while and eventually determined it was due to shells in the tank, which I removed. About a month after removal, when he first fell ill the GH was 6dGH, KH was 9 dKH and pH was 8.0

Rocksor
02-04-2017, 02:30 AM
What is the TDS level of the tank?

What was the GH prior to removing the shells?

If a certain medication does not work after 5 days, it's time to try something else.

treefrog1
02-04-2017, 01:28 PM
What is the TDS level of the tank?

What was the GH prior to removing the shells?

If a certain medication does not work after 5 days, it's time to try something else.
I'm not sure how to measure TDS. Prior to removing the shells the GH was 13

Slaphppy7
02-04-2017, 04:33 PM
https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-Measurement-Resolution-Accuracy/dp/B0002T6L5M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486225977&sr=8-4&keywords=tds+meter

Rocksor
02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure how to measure TDS. Prior to removing the shells the GH was 13

How long did it take for Gh too drop? If it was quick, this could lower the tds levels too quickly, causing a brief spike down in mineral loss from the fish. This can stress certain fish out, leading to the septicemia that you are seing.

put some of the coral back in, like media bag, and raise the GH a little bit and see if the angel improves. Or you can try epsom salt at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon added over a 24 hour period. Measure the Gh about 1 hour after adding the pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). If you reach the same GH level as you once had it, before adding the full dosage, stop adding, and maintain that level fore 3-4 days to see if the fish improves.

If not, I would look in to buying Seachem Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa for your PH.

treefrog1
02-04-2017, 06:00 PM
How long did it take for Gh too drop? If it was quick, this could lower the tds levels too quickly, causing a brief spike down in mineral loss from the fish. This can stress certain fish out, leading to the septicemia that you are seing.

put some of the coral back in, like media bag, and raise the GH a little bit and see if the angel improves. Or you can try epsom salt at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon added over a 24 hour period. Measure the Gh about 1 hour after adding the pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). If you reach the same GH level as you once had it, before adding the full dosage, stop adding, and maintain that level fore 3-4 days to see if the fish improves.

We didn't really see much of a change in GH. The KH was what saw most of the drop. It happened over the course of a month. In order to lower the KH we used 6 gallons RO water with 1 gallon of hard water (to maintain GH) over the course of that month on the weekly changes.

Rocksor
02-04-2017, 06:10 PM
You could also stop using RO water and slowly bring the water back up with daily water changes of 20% over the course of 201 week. Get the water back to the original state when the angel was healthy.

treefrog1
02-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Do you think sulfaplex will work as well as kanaplex? Our local store currently doesn't have kanaplex

Rocksor
02-06-2017, 10:38 PM
It works lsightly differently. I prefer kanaplex since it can be readily absorbed through the skin. But, I would try sulfa plex since you can get that now.