PDA

View Full Version : Root tabs or fertilized substrated for carpet plants?

Dan89
01-24-2017, 12:36 AM
I have to pick up the substrate for my future tank, which will have several carpet plants (Hemianthus Callitrichoudes, Staurogyne Repens). I have 2 options:

1) Fertilized substrate (Dennerle DeponitMix) + Quartz gravel 1/2mm
2) Quartz gravel 1/2mm + root tabs

What i fear about fertilized substrate is the possible mixing with the gravel in case of change to the layout or replating of some plants, so this makes me lean towards option 2. But my concern is that root tabs won't be as effective as the fertilized substrate.

What do you think? Can the root tabs perfectly substitute the fertilized substrate maintaining the same effectiveness?

BluewaterBoof
01-24-2017, 12:39 AM
I prefer Osmocote Plus for my substrate fertilizer. It comes in a bottle of little pellets. When I set up a new tank, I sprinkle a nice layer of the pellets under a couple of inches of the substrate. You can also make your own tablets by freezing the pellets in small ice cubes and then sticking the ice cubes in the substrate.

RiversGirl
01-24-2017, 12:59 AM
. You can also make your own tablets by freezing the pellets in small ice cubes and then sticking the ice cubes in the substrate.

Clever idea

William
01-24-2017, 02:03 AM
Or by baking clay on low heat until the pellets dries. How long this takes depends on the size of the pellets. The pellets will usually stay together even after they have been submerged. It is an easy way to make pellets to use in an established aquarium.

mermaidwannabe
01-28-2017, 04:17 PM
I use root tabs because I have gravel for my substrates. Plants seem to do okay with them, but my plants don't need a lot of fertilizing to begin with. I also use liquid Flourish Comprehensive after doing water changes. If you fear root tabs won't sufficiently fertilize by themselves, try adding Flourish Comp to the water to augment them. Seachem puts that out.

mac
01-28-2017, 08:25 PM
I personally have found tablets to be a bit hit and miss in the past. Though I am keen on the idea of making them if I find the time.
For me though I have had very good success with either SeaChem Fluorite or the JBL copy of it. Works extremely well for the plan roots and with some clay under it the plants grow like crazy.

mac

angelcraze2
01-28-2017, 08:52 PM
You can also make your own tablets by freezing the pellets in small ice cubes and then sticking the ice cubes in the substrate.

Great idea! You can also get those little medical gel caplets and fill size 00 with Osmotote. I've used these in my tanks with great results and a LOT cheeper than the specialty gravel supplements.