PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blue Crayfish turned Brown

waylon101
01-15-2017, 08:22 PM
My LFS carries no freshwater inverts at all. I always wanted to get some Cherry Shrimp or CPO Dwarf Crayfish but they just never had any. One day I went in and was talking to a good friend and worker of the store about my tanks. I told him I had a tank just for CPO crayfish (that I purchased online) and he told me that he just got some in. We went to the back and they were selling them for extremely cheap. While I was looking at them he asked me if I wanted an Electric Blue Crayfish as well. I had no experience with them but I put him in a 30 gallon, separate from the CPOs. I never really saw the crayfish again until one day while I was getting fish waste out from some rock crevices I saw him, but he was brown! A few weeks later I was back at the store hanging out and my friend asked me how the Crayfish were doing. I told him the story of the Crayfish turning brown and he said that he had no idea why and was apologizing that they sold it to me. I told him that he only sold it to me for like 3 bucks so it wasn't a big deal to me. I just wondered why. I saw the brown crayfish again one day perched on a rock so I took this picture. When I got him he was blue but he is brown now. Any ideas or thoughts as to why?

http://imgur.com/b34h2Nr

AmazonJoe
01-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure how to explain but something makes them blue for a little while. I've noticed blue crawfish in a pond I was working in this pond was completely covered with shade cloth so idk if the darkness had something to do with it but there were definitely blue! There were others that were normal and brown with them so. Just an observation I made one day.

waylon101
01-15-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure how to explain but something makes them blue for a little while. I've noticed blue crawfish in a pond I was working in this pond was completely covered with shade cloth so idk if the darkness had something to do with it but there were definitely blue! There were others that were normal and brown with them so. Just an observation I made one day.

So it has to do with genetics? I bought it at about 1 inch originally.

AmazonJoe
01-15-2017, 09:13 PM
I think its something environmental that triggers the blue color

Slaphppy7
01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Looks like it is common, and almost inevitable, for them to lose the blue coloring

https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+blue+crayfish+lost+color+turned+ brown&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8