PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this mystery plant please??

Paradi
01-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted but I hope everyone is well, including the fish and plants! I recently purchased a very nice Water Lettuce plant for my new 29 gallon open top tank and while I was cleaning off the roots I noticed this little plant was stuck in there. I pulled it out and washed it up as well, and threw it in the quarantine bucket with the rest of my new plants. It's had zero snails and grown quite a bit just in the last week, but for the life of me I have NO idea what this little guy is??? It's a cute little plant, and doing well so I'll gladly add it to my new tank. I put this topic here in stem plants because that's my closest guess lol, but I still can't figure out what species this is. Can anybody tell??http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/5205dce1fbddc3713f008300b4f25706.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/ca75bfaa6545ba07e334c47ca5c9ec24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmazonJoe
01-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Hey stranger.

Mmm so small but the round leaves kinda look like some kind of rotala.

Possibly rotala indica?

Let it grow up and we will have the excitement of not knowing what it will be.

Paradi
01-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Hmm I've never had any rotala before! I'll have to start doing my research. It's certainly doing well just floating in my quarantine bucket with ample CO2, ferts, and light. It's even beginning to grow new leaves now. I'll plant it in my new tank and see what becomes of it. I love that it has a nice deep purple trim around the edges of the leaves

Paradi
01-06-2017, 09:34 PM
I noticed the first two leaves are round but the inner leaves are much more spear-shaped, like that of an Amazon sword. I'm pretty sure this isn't an Amazon sword but those round leaves don't appear to be it's true leave. Rather I think they're just the first pair of leaves the plant formed after germination. Think of how an apple seed's first two leaves are round but it's true leaves are pointy. This plant almost reminds me of a ludwigia, but I could be way off XD

AmazonJoe
01-06-2017, 09:35 PM
See this will be the fun part lol who knows

Slaphppy7
01-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Almost looks like anubia, but the roots are all wrong...

angelcraze2
01-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Could still be a rhizome plant without an obvious rhizome, it does look like one. When my anubias roots dig into the substrate, they turn white, just like the pic......
I have no idea what that is, but am curious now. It looks like 50/50 anubias and hygro

Slaphppy7
01-07-2017, 02:03 AM
When my anubias roots dig into the substrate, they turn white, just like the pic......

As a matter of fact, I had one do that, too

My question though is how did that plantlet get caught up in a floating plant's roots?

angelcraze2
01-07-2017, 05:41 PM
As a matter of fact, I had one do that, too

My question though is how did that plantlet get caught up in a floating plant's roots?

Plecos? I have to replant hygro rosanervig regularly from my water lettuce roots. Either bottom feeders kick it up or current.

I just thought of the cardinal plant. I found this
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/2612-lobelia-cardinalis-small-form-dwarf.html#/topics/2612?page=1&_k=76sdv4

It looks like that one is a rare variety. I think the elongated leaves represent the regular variety, but the dwarf variety has round green leaves. We'll have to see later as it grows.....cute little plant!

Paradi
01-07-2017, 08:08 PM
I agree with Amazon Joe: who knows! *shrugs shoulders* I'll plant it in my new tank I'm setting up and try to update as it grows. It almost looks like a terrestrial plant that germinated in water, once again who knows!
I think since it's so tiny a bottom feeder must've uprooted it in the seller's tank and they didn't notice it in the water lettuce. I'm happy I got it though! Hooray for free plants!!!

Paradi
01-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Plecos? I have to replant hygro rosanervig regularly from my water lettuce roots. Either bottom feeders kick it up or current.

I just thought of the cardinal plant. I found this
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/2612-lobelia-cardinalis-small-form-dwarf.html#/topics/2612?page=1&_k=76sdv4

It looks like that one is a rare variety. I think the elongated leaves represent the regular variety, but the dwarf variety has round green leaves. We'll have to see later as it grows.....cute little plant!

Perhaps it could be that one. Only time will tell honestly... it's growing very quickly even shadowed completely by the lettuce (it keeps floating back under it in the current of my powerhead). Once it gets a couple more sets of leaves I'll post an update here. I'm going to plant it towards the front where it'll get plenty of light and if it ends up being a tall plant I'll move it :)

angelcraze2
01-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Ok! Sounds good! I'm interested in seeing your free mystery plant fill out :)

Wookster
01-08-2017, 01:28 AM
I purchased a plant from an LFS once that was in a tank. Took it home and it never grew but never died. Turns out it was a terrestrial plant. So you may be right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Paradi
01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
I purchased a plant from an LFS once that was in a tank. Took it home and it never grew but never died. Turns out it was a terrestrial plant. So you may be right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just the way the leaves go from rounded in the first pair, to pointed in the second pair reminds me of when terrestrial plants germinate. It has grown since I've gotten it and it's been in water this whole time. It's grown both roots and new leaves in less than a week

Marty.h
01-09-2017, 11:44 PM
I'm not a plant person by no means but looks like a

Crassula portulacea AKA a money tree

my mum has one and the leaves and shape look exactly like one.

I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me or from that family of plants