PDA

View Full Version : Help my identify this plant please (pics included)

Squigga
01-06-2017, 02:44 PM
It came along with 8 other plants that i ordered off of planted aquarium central and i just love it. Unfortunately ive lost the sheet that came with all the orders and their name, and the email has since been deleted. I think its a bulb plant, has nice little thin pink leaves that curl at the sides sort of like some type of crypts, but also has these huge green round leaves at the top coming from a stem.
The pictures dont really do it justice since my camera sucks but i took pics in different lightimg. its a bright but yet thin almpost transparent pink in person

Squigga
01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Actually have no idea how to post pictures

Slaphppy7
01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5

Squigga
01-06-2017, 03:30 PM
i was on mobile, thats why i couldnt find the upload button. but here you go, the first pics were from before i moved the tank to a different stand so thats why its full of algae

Slaphppy7
01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Hopefully one of the plant experts here will chime in for you, I haven't a clue, lol

Squigga
01-06-2017, 03:45 PM
heres some more pics

madagascariensis
01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
It's an Echinodorus, commonly called sword plant. The floppy pink leaves represent the submerged form, whereas the thick leaves on stems are what the plant produces when it has access to the air. Presumably this plant was grown emersed at the nursery before being submerged in your aquarium, as many aquatic plants actually grow faster that way.

Squigga
01-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Would you happen to know how to keep all the leaves that pink? Some grow bigger and become green. Also, how would i propogate, is there some way to get two of these??

angelcraze2
01-06-2017, 05:33 PM
It's an oriental sword. The colour will still stay pink on new leaves. The pink gradually disappears on older leaves. In other words, the middle of the rosette plant will always be pink :)

angelcraze2
01-07-2017, 01:18 AM
This is the best info I found on it
http://www.everythingaquatic.net/forum/articles/aquatic-plant-library/149975-oriental-sword-plant-care-sheet